Ruger lc9 or charter arms .38 spl - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Ruger lc9 or charter arms .38 spl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 03:25 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
If you decide on a snubby, you'll also need to invest in range time. It takes a while to get used to the small platform. I've had one a few years and it's always a humbling range experience at distances more than 10-15 feet. It conceals better than my small auto, (M&P Shield), and the .38+p is an adequate SD round. That said, my EDC's the Shield because I'm consistantly better with it. For that reason, I'd recommend you go with the LC9. You'll likely be better with the auto too.
Best advise is to try to shoot both. I traded my tcp in for a airweight and its the best choice I've made feel so much safer carrying a revolver. And call me crazy but it rides better in my front pocket better than the tcp did. I tried to carry the tcp in a Blackhawk I think pocket holster it stuck out like a sore thumb. I carry the airweight in a homemade leather pocket holster and it blends in very nice. Depending on where u live I've found out a lot of ranges rent guns and the lc9 lcp and such size guns are popular rentals as well as smiths. Whatever feels best to you and what YOU feel better with is what you should get. Oh yea my j frame out shoots the tcp by leaps and bounds( like easy head shots on the target at 15 yards vs just happy to keep it in the kill zone with the tcp). And I have small hands so the small sub compact grips didn't really bother me that much.

Last edited by Barney1023; 01-01-2013 at 03:29 AM.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:37 AM   #12

Liked 206 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
For me Revolvers aren't at all viable as a carry option. Home protect, sure, but the width of the cylinder Invalidates them as concealable to me. Now Open carry is whole different story, but sounds to me like you want something to hide, so I say stay away from the six shooters
The revolvers the OP would be considering would not be 6 shooters, they would likely be 5 shooters making the cylinder smaller and more concealable, I have a J frame Smith and it will print in my normal jeans if I don't use a pocket holster, which I don't think is smart anyway, and IWB its very concealable.

For myself I would choose a J frame Smith or one of the Ruger snubbies, whichever you prefer. I also like the Smith Shield it comes in 9 and 40, it is very thin which makes it nice for cc also it doesn't have a mag safety which is a feature don't want on any gun, the Ruger LC9 has the mag safety so if for some reason you have a malfunction and the magazine falls out, you will not be able to fire the round which is already in the chamber.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 01-01-2013, 05:02 AM   #13

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I tell ya what my buddy just bought a Diamondback 9mm sub compact and its been a fabulous gun , great trigger compared to the LC9 which I do own . No extra safetys like the LC9 , no slide hold open which makes it smaller in size and also cuts the price . heres a pic of the LC9 and the DB9 . I have a DB9 on order now the wait begins . Also reminds of a mini glock the way it breaks down , no tools necessary

Old 01-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #14

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Got to take a friends DB9 out today and ran about 90 rds thru it , I ran CCI , tula and remington thru it and it ran mostly flawless, I had one FTFeed on the tula rounds but I think it was a fluke because the rest of the box of 50 ran just fine . felt recoil was lesser than my LC9 , It was more accurate than I was it was a chilling 26 deg when I was out today, The trigger is lighter and alot less distance pull than the LC9 . I didnt run any self defense ammo thru it , its just to expensive to go out and run it thru it , I will do it when mine comes and make sure it runs . Cant wait until mine comes in . Now just need to get IL to hustle on the CCW