Right to Carry in National Parks

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Right to Carry in National Parks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 02:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Right to Carry in National Parks

All,
On January 9th, President Bush approved a change to the NPS (National Park System laws to allow concealed carry in national parks.
On March 29th, the Brady Commission filed an injunction to reverse the new law on the grounds that a "proper environmental impact study had not been completed." The NRA immediately filed an appeal.
On April 2, a coalition of Republican and Democrat Senators submitted a bill to again allow concealed carry in National Parks.

It's time to weigh in. Our elected officials need to hear from us. The best way I have found to do this at the federal level is through the following web site:NRA-ILA :: Action Center
You can enter your zip code and send an email to the President, your Senators and Representatives all at the same time. I was impressed with the format and how it looked. It is connected with NRA-ILA, but you do not have to be a member, and I did not see any logo on the emails themselves.

Why should you do this? Why should care?
Here are a few key facts.

The NPS controls a total of 84.6 million acres of land.
8,505 Monuments and Statues
680 Water Treatment and Wastewater Collection Systems
5,300 Family Housing Units
505 Dams
1,804 Bridges and Tunnels
7,580 Buildings
8,500 Miles of roads and parkways
12,250 Miles of Unpaved Trails

...and that is just a partial list. For a complete list go to:U.S. National Park Service Quick Facts

This is nothing more than an underhanded dirty trick by the Brady Commission to put a 3.6%, yes that's 3.6% of the entire United States off limits, in addition to making it so difficult in some areas that you just wouldn't be able to do it without committing a felony.

If you decide to send an email (it is very quick and simple) please post when you are done. I am running this on 8 forums (and still looking for others) and I come back to each one as often as I can to report the totals. So far we have about 60 emails sent.

Feel free to borrow the following text:

I support the right to carry a handgun for self defense in our nation's parks and wild life refuges. Please reinstate this policy immediately and expand it to include national parks and wildlife refuges in all states. This is essential for law abiding citizens to safely enjoy these areas without fear. Thank you.

Thanks for your help!

Smity

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-09-2009, 03:47 PM   #2

Total emails sent is now 67!

Smity

Last edited by Smity; 05-09-2009 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Update total from 64 to 67.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #3

Total emails sent is now 71!

Smity

Old 05-10-2009, 09:16 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The right of self-defense is God-given, not government granted...if I have to live like a criminal, so be it..

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 05-10-2009, 10:22 PM   #5

RL357Mag, I grew up in NY, but now live in Jersey. Here, wrongful possession is 3 years mandatory and you lose all of your gun rights for life -- not worth the risk. That's one of the reasons why I am doing this. These laws have to be changed.

Total number of people who have sent emails is now 83.

If you notice, I have changed the reporting from number of emails to number of people who sent emails. Many are reporting back as having sent multiple emails -- the President, 2 Senators and 1 Representative (one way to do this is with the NRA-ILA email tool at NRA-ILA :: Action Center). Since I can't go back find out who sent multiple emails, I will now report as # of people instead. The total number of actual emails sent is definitely in the hundreds.

Great job everyone!

Smity

Last edited by Smity; 05-11-2009 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Update total

Old 05-12-2009, 03:13 AM   #6

Total number of people that have sent emails is now 93 across 11 forums.

I had no idea...

Smity

Old 05-12-2009, 03:55 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Pro-Gun Group Says Gun Rule at Ben Geren Park Illegal - KFSM

A group supporting the second amendment says the Sebastian County rule that bans firearms at Ben Geren Park is illegal.

" Arkansas Carry" has contacted Sebastian County Judge David Hudson, asking him and the Quorum Court to repeal the rule.

Arkansas carry labels itself a "staunch ally of gun owners", and officials with the group believe Arkansas law prevents local governments from enacting gun control legislation.

Gabe Holmstrom, spokesman for Attorney General Dustin Mcdaniel, said more information is needed to make a formal legal opinion.

A formal legal OPINION!!! It's the constitution for petes sake!!

This is a local park for me.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:25 AM   #8

Just sent my thoughts off the the powers that be. Will be waiting to see if it falls on deaf ears or the feds show up at my door!

Old 05-13-2009, 04:54 AM   #9

A bill has passed in the Senate! This is happening right now! Read this and get everyone you can to email the President and your Congressmen using NRA-ILA :: Action Center

This still has to pass in the House and be signed by the President!
__________________________________________________ _____________________
The Washington Independent » Senate Approves Coburn Gun Amendment…in Credit Card Bill

or Gun Owners of America

Senate Approves Coburn Gun Amendment…in Credit Card Bill
By Mike Lillis 5/12/09 6:44 PM

The Senate on Tuesday night easily passed an amendment to credit card reform legislation that would allow concealed weapons in national parks. The vote was 67 to 29.

The question now is this: Will a controversial gun proposal attached to popular underlying legislation be the poison pill that sinks that larger bill? That’s been the case with legislation allowing the District of Columbia a voting representative in Congress, to which the Senate attached language scrapping many of Washington’s strict gun control laws. As a result of that gun amendment, the DC-vote bill remains stalled in the House months after it passed the upper chamber.

Now, Sen. Chris Dodd (D-Conn.), the chief sponsor of the credit card reform bill, is wondering whether the same might be the fate of his credit card proposal. “My concern is about what the underlying bill — what happens to it,” Dodd said on the chamber floor just before the vote. “I hate to see us lose this opportunity to make a difference with credit card reform.”

Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.), who sponsored the concealed weapons bill, said he supports many of Dodd’s credit card provisions, and didn’t have in mind to offer his amendment just for the purpose of killing the larger bill. “I don’t want to see it fail on this,” Coburn said. “But nor do I want to see the Second Amendment trampled on.”

So much for an easy, clean, must-pass credit card reform bill.
__________________________________________________ _______________

Smity

Old 05-14-2009, 05:41 PM   #10

Statistics Report:
# of forums message was posted: 12
# of views 8604
# of posts 421
# of people who sent emails 102

The National Parks issue is not over so encourage all you know to contact their members of the House of Representatives and the President. Those are the key people now.

Signing off until the next critical issue at the decisive moment.
Thank you to all who participated.
Smity

Tags
2nd amendment, carry, ccw, handgun, national parks