Revolver vs. Semi auto for carry. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Revolver vs. Semi auto for carry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 01:44 PM   #11
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Mateba model 6 Unica Auto Revolver

Revolver vs. Semi auto for carry. - Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection

Cool... It's like a miniaturized, hand-held mini-gun.

Miniaturized, mini-gun?

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 06-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #12

Why not carry both (a Glock 29 or 30 with a snubby .357 Magnum) ?

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
(Benjamin Franklin)

'God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal'." (Ann Coulter)

" Praise The Lord but Polly pass the Ammo"( Unknown)

"The 1st one through the door gets the copper coated candy." ( Andy the gunshop owner from "Dawn of the Dead")

Old 06-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think that if you carry a pistol,you have to be more disciplined than if you carry a revolver,and by this I mean you have to be consistent and be sure on your pistol`s status:
Bullet in chamber, safety engaged or not if the pistol has one, in a stressful situation you have more chances of pulling the trigger and getting no shot with a pistol ,and in that frame of mind you can get confussed on what's wrong with the gun ,with a revolver, unless it`s unloaded of course,it`s most likely going to fire.
It happened to me more times than I will like to admit, that I found out that I had no bullet in chamber when I thought I had one...Thank God ,this never happened in a situation where I needed to actually fire the gun,but I can think of the consequences if I had to use it ,so now I got very disciplined on checking on the pistol status even at home,
And lately ,I `ve been using more and more a revolver as my "first response" if needed gun,for all of those reasons.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #14

Liked 41 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Mateba model 6 Unica Auto Revolver

That thing looks like something out of Judge Dredd

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Old 06-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Revolvers can't jamb. When one round doesn't go off you click to the next. With an auto you pray you don't get a jamb.
Actually, revolvers can "jam".
I've seen more than one revolver experience cylinder lock-up.
There are quite a few things that can cause the cylinder to lock-up:
Bent ejector rod, loose ejector rod, bullet that has jumped crimp, debris between the cylinder and the frame, debris under the ejector star.

It IS rare.
But it does happen.
And when a revolver does jam, you're not going to fix the problem with a quick failure drill like you would with an autoloader.
It's going to be out of the fight for a long time.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:04 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I guess I'm not understanding some logic here.....why would ANYONE carry a pistol with an empty chamber? I ALWAYS check for a loaded chamber before holstering. My dad, former lifer in the military, advocates carrying with an empty chamber but I cannot and will not carry an "empty" firearm. Most of my carry guns have view ports for the chamber but the one's that don't, get the Patrick Sweeney (of G&A fame) method....load a full mag, rack slide, remove mag and if a round is missing, then it's in the chamber. I then top off the mag.

I hear arguments all the time concerning cocked and locked 1911's....a quality, well-maintained 1911 is not going to magically "unsafe" itself and I make a habit of discreetly verifying the safety is on at all times. If I can't trust my C & L'ed 1911 to remain on-safe, then I am not going to carry it nor do I have any business carrying it. Cocking a hammer or, worse, having to rack a slide in an emergency is a sure way to lose a fight.

DAO pistols are probably the best of all worlds for a lot of people...if they're capable of overcoming the springs. It never ceases to amaze me the number of people purchasing a, insert brand here, pistol and then struggling to work the slide. I've even heard salesmen tell them "you only need to work the slide when you load it". My gf has a lot of trouble racking slides on all but .22LR's and she finally settled on a S&W 360 J-frame as a carry gun instead of subjecting herself to the frustration and multiple attempts at racking a slide (besides, she's broken enough nails to know what works for her). She is a very capable shooter but also recognizes her limitations.

To each their own I suppose but if someone is going to use a firearm for SD, they had better be intimately familiar and comfortable not only using it, but "working" it as well.

Not long ago at Thunder Range in Conroe Texas, I saw two guys struggling to open a S&W 686 and I asked what the issue was and they replied it was jammed. I looked at it and it opened right up, unloaded it and closed it and dry-fired a few times. Come to find out, they were not pushing the cylinder latch but trying to pull it to the rear.....multiple times! Luckily, the revolver jammed, however, since the barrel was clogged with dirt, lint, and other assorted debris....I think I even pushed a small pebble through it when clearing it. Seems they dropped it in the dirt once while trying to figure out how to open it!

Old 07-11-2010, 02:48 AM   #17

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts

I carry according to situation, but for CC it will usually be a pistol, although I have never felt under-dresssed with a 357 on my hip.

I have an extreme fondness for Sigs: used to carry a P245, now carry a P239 and just ordered a P229. All DA/SA with a de-cocker and a hot one in the chamber. No safety, no fumbling about: aim (or point if the BG is close) and fire.

I can't see losing time by having to rack the slide to be ready to go (excuse me Mr.BG while I get my gun ready). That's just my approach and it the right one for ME. Whatever someone else is comfortable with is what is right for them.

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:26 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I guess I'd have to label the entire question of "Carry a Revolver or a Pistol?" as a total newbie dilemma.

If you've shot enough of both to know the feel of the action, cycle speed, point-ability/target acquisition, reliability and speed of reload, then one should be able to carry either with out any anxiety.

If you know your gun, then you know its capabilities and overall need.

Sometimes I carry a High-cap pistol with multiple spare mags. If I feel the need.

Most of the time I carry a revolver with speed-loaders. That's what I'm comfortable with.

All the time I have a BUG. Could be one or the other.

Learn both, shoot both, own both and carry both. What's the fun in being one-dimensional?

Old 07-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #19

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyg View Post
Actually, revolvers can "jam".
I've seen more than one revolver experience cylinder lock-up.
There are quite a few things that can cause the cylinder to lock-up:
Bent ejector rod, loose ejector rod, bullet that has jumped crimp, debris between the cylinder and the frame, debris under the ejector star.

It IS rare.
But it does happen.
And when a revolver does jam, you're not going to fix the problem with a quick failure drill like you would with an autoloader.
It's going to be out of the fight for a long time.
Spot on, LuckyG. But it is not actually that rare.

DA Revolvers are susceptible to all sorts of problems, including but not limited to those you have mentioned.

I have seen revolvers stop because of unburned powder under the ejector star. I have seen them stop because of unburned powder under the crane. I have seen them fail because of pocket lint in the cylinder stop notches, bent rods, sprung cranes, broken hands, burred stars, and many other issues.

Anyone who thinks revolvers are more reliable than high quality semi autos has not used revolvers enough. A very open design with many nooks and crannies.

Do a sandbox test with any revolver and see for yourself.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 07-13-2010, 02:04 PM   #20
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Do a sandbox test with any revolver and see for yourself.
I shudder to think...

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA