Revolver carry. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Revolver carry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 02:15 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
I carry a S&W Mdl 36. Have 5 shots.

You carry a Glock with an umpteen round magazine. And have a fail-to-extract on the first shot.

So...... I have a 5 shooter. You have a single shot. Now, what was that you were saying?

Advantage to a revolver- there is no question of reliability of a given cartridge FEEDING in a revolver. If it fits in the cylinder, it's good to go.
YES I feel the same way as you. Maybe I'm old fashioned or whatever but I like knowing that i can squeeze the trigger 5 times and not have worry about dropping the mag and clearing a spent casing some where in the middle.

Its not murder if for means of survival

Old 07-05-2013, 02:20 AM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl

Around where i live, i am seeing alot more open carry, seems like its usually at grocery stores. But Haven't seen anybody open carry a Judge yet......lol. I bet thats a real attention getter....
Attention getter, we'll just a little bit. I will say this, yes this Is a some what heavy choice for carry but with a sturdy belt and the Blackhawk serpa it's very comfortable to carry all day.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:28 AM   #13

Liked 743 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

I will say though....i have a P95, a P90, and a SR9, All with over 1000 trouble free rounds through them. I consider them to be absolutely reliable. My SR1911 with 450 rounds thru it so far is a little fussy. The key to trusting an auto pistol is at least 300 trouble free rounds. Thats why i wouldnt trade my old P95, for 10 of your new whatever......I absolutely for sure, know for a fact....it WILL run........

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Old 07-05-2013, 02:38 AM   #14

Liked 2394 Times on 1400 Posts
Likes Given: 538

Nothing wrong with a revolver for carry they are a worthy platform that has been defending people for over a century and a half.

I can see valid reasons for selecting one and valid reasons for going with an auto. Ultimately it comes down to what the bearer is comfortable with and what they shoot best.

Some folks find a double action revolver difficult to conceal and difficult to shoot well under stress with a long double action trigger pull. Some find ejecting shells out of a snubby to be difficult if the extractor plunger is too short to get the shells clear of the cylinder. Maybe a reload is not needed.

Feeding different rounds is not usually a problem in a revolver. If a primer fails, the only required manipulation is to pull the trigger again and get to the next round. (No Tap, Rack, Bang drill required).

Old 07-05-2013, 02:40 AM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl
I will say though....i have a P95, a P90, and a SR9, All with over 1000 trouble free rounds through them. I consider them to be absolutely reliable. My SR1911 with 450 rounds thru it so far is a little fussy. The key to trusting an auto pistol is at least 300 trouble free rounds. Thats why i wouldnt trade my old P95, for 10 of your new whatever......I absolutely for sure, know for a fact....it WILL run........
And there is nothing wrong with your choice. I'm just one those who believe that anything that can go wrong will at some point in time.

So lets just say that if bad guy pulls gun on Joe cool behind the five and dime and joe is carry his Springfield 1911 1500 rounds through it and not a single issue except for this very time and he has a bad primer and the gun does not go off he has to now clear bad one and chamber another with my revolver I can just continue to the next one in the cylinder.
I am buy no means saying that anyone is wrong in not carrying a wheel gun. I do however feel that is way to commonly over looked do to its old fashioned style and low capacity.

Last edited by alwaysarmed; 07-05-2013 at 02:45 AM.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:45 AM   #16

Liked 743 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

I agree with you, there is less that can go wrong with a revolver. And anybody that knows me will tell you how much i love my Blackhawks....There SEXY...

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Old 07-05-2013, 03:19 AM   #17

Liked 405 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I know the "multiple attackers" is the argument of the day against revolvers. I wonder, would multiple attackers be as determined once you opened fire? Seems to me the noise, muzzle and side flash especially from a snubby would stop a lot of guys in their tracks. Second, a hi-cap mag is no guarantee of success. The video of the Ohio State Troopers vs the Kehoe brothers is still on You Tube. The 5-6 shot wheelgun you have with you will more often than not suffice.

Last edited by Donn; 07-05-2013 at 03:21 AM.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:21 AM   #18

Liked 2005 Times on 1105 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

Once in a while I carry a 4 inch 629 44 mag. That is a big heavy gun. But I sure wouldn't want to look down the barrel of one. I feel like 6 rounds of 44 mag leaves me 5 extra rounds after the fight is over. I plan on using it to shoot an IDPA match this Saturday.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

readygirl Likes This 
Old 07-05-2013, 03:28 AM   #19

Liked 136 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Revolvers can fail as well autos. 6 shots, or 5 shots is NOT guaranteed. Ever.

Don't get me wrong, I love my revolvers. But, given the fact a Glock 26 has twice [roughly] the ammo capacity of a similar sized .38/.357 revolver...
...I'll take an auto every day of the week and twice on Sunday over a revolver.

To paraphrase an overused internets saying: "I've never heard anybody complain about having too much ammo."

Old 07-05-2013, 03:47 AM   #20

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 54

My next carry gun will most likely be a revolver, but only when clothing allows it. I carry a Bodyguard .380 because of it's size but I've always been a fan of .38's. The single action capability of revolvers is an asset in my mind for accuracy. I also agree with the multiple attacker scenario. If you find yourself in a situation where there are multiple attackers you most likely haven't practiced situational awareness. There is no shame in running away from a bad situation. Whether you have a 6 shooter or a 16 round magazine, if you have 6 attackers it's very unlikely you can shoot all of them before one gets you. You just shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.