Revolver carry
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Revolver carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 02:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Revolver carry

I'm considering carrying a snub nose. Specifically, a Colt Detective Special. 6 round capacity. However, do you folks who carry revolvers leave an empty chamber under the hammer or load them all up?
I know Single Action shooters always leave the chamber under the hammer empty for safety. However, I didn't know if there is any danger of a Double Action revolver discharging when dropped.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-11-2013, 04:05 AM   #2

Liked 259 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 367

Hammer down I've never heard of a revolver discharging before. And I would never carry a revolver condition zero.

This is my daily driver . Chart pitbull .40S&W 5rd

I always keep it fully loaded . hammer down . Which is no prob because it is SA/DA . And yes that is black crayon in the engraving

rename.jpg  

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-11-2013, 04:07 AM   #3

Liked 127 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 364

I carry a Charter Arms 5-shot .38 Special with all chambers loaded. With only 5-shots, I can't afford to have any empty chambers. I also carry 2 speed loaders.

eldar

Old 01-11-2013, 04:19 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9138 Times on 3946 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Present day double action revolvers (made since about 1920 in fact) are safe to carry with a round under the hammer.

Try this- with an UNLOADED gun. Hold the revolver at eye level, so you are looking at the left side. See the gap between the recoil shield and the back of the cylinder? Cock the revolver, pull and hold the trigger. See the firing pin protrude?

Now, release the trigger. Firing pin retracts, right? Now, without pulling the trigger, push on the hammer with thumb. Harder. I said HARDER, man! Does not move, does it?

The design either blocks the hammer, or in the case of a transfer bar system, shields the firing pin. It would take over around 5000 pounds of force to make that firing pin protrude.

The original Colt Single Actions, and the old style Ruger Single Actions were meant to rest on an empty chamber. TOTALLY different design. My EDC is a S&W mdl 36 in a pocket holster. Have had it since about mid 70s, no worries.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:54 AM   #5

Liked 499 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 229

The Colt DS is a perfect choice. I carried mine for almost 20 years under the worse possible conditions. I still use it off and on since the late 1960's with complete confidence. It really is a fine revolver, but don't use +P ammo.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #6

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Present day double action revolvers (made since about 1920 in fact) are safe to carry with a round under the hammer.

Try this- with an UNLOADED gun. Hold the revolver at eye level, so you are looking at the left side. See the gap between the recoil shield and the back of the cylinder? Cock the revolver, pull and hold the trigger. See the firing pin protrude?

Now, release the trigger. Firing pin retracts, right? Now, without pulling the trigger, push on the hammer with thumb. Harder. I said HARDER, man! Does not move, does it?

The design either blocks the hammer, or in the case of a transfer bar system, shields the firing pin. It would take over around 5000 pounds of force to make that firing pin protrude.

The original Colt Single Actions, and the old style Ruger Single Actions were meant to rest on an empty chamber. TOTALLY different design. My EDC is a S&W mdl 36 in a pocket holster. Have had it since about mid 70s, no worries.
Not entirely true. Most modern - but modern from more recent years.
My Ruger Single Six from 1971 is on recall list from Ruger to install a transfer bar type safety mechanism to avoid accidental hammer strike discharges.

Have not had the work done. The original condition seems to be more collector desirable.

OP should check on the gun he is considering.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:00 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1839 Times on 1259 Posts
Likes Given: 671

Both of my double action snubbies are safe to carry with a round under the hammer. I would bet you can strike my SP101 with a hammer and it will not fire. My new model SA hunting pistols are just as safe.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
My Ruger Single Six from 1971 is on recall list from Ruger to install a transfer bar type safety mechanism to avoid accidental hammer strike discharges.

Have not had the work done. The original condition seems to be more collector desirable.

c3shooter is correct. The statement was:

Quote:
Your Ruger Single Six is not a double action revolver.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #9

Liked 393 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Great find HT. I'd love to have a DS. I'd sacrifice the +P capability of my current snubby for an extra round and larger grips just like that, (sound of fingers snapping).

Old 01-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #10
mcb

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post

C3 is correct. He referenced Colt SAA and older Ruger Single Actions. Rugers single actions made before 1973 (Old Models) were not safe to carry with the hammer on the chamber. New Model Ruger single actions use a transfer bar system to make them safe.

Ruger will convert Old Models free of charge. This may impact collector value and IMO the NM and conerted OMs do not shoot as well