Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Revolver carry (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/revolver-carry-80963/)

Hightide 01-11-2013 02:27 AM

Revolver carry

I'm considering carrying a snub nose. Specifically, a Colt Detective Special. 6 round capacity. However, do you folks who carry revolvers leave an empty chamber under the hammer or load them all up?
I know Single Action shooters always leave the chamber under the hammer empty for safety. However, I didn't know if there is any danger of a Double Action revolver discharging when dropped.

Gh0zt36 01-11-2013 04:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hammer down I've never heard of a revolver discharging before. And I would never carry a revolver condition zero.

This is my daily driver . Chart pitbull .40S&W 5rd

I always keep it fully loaded . hammer down . Which is no prob because it is SA/DA . And yes that is black crayon in the engraving :cool:

eldarbeast 01-11-2013 04:07 AM

I carry a Charter Arms 5-shot .38 Special with all chambers loaded. With only 5-shots, I can't afford to have any empty chambers. I also carry 2 speed loaders.

eldar

c3shooter 01-11-2013 04:19 AM

Present day double action revolvers (made since about 1920 in fact) are safe to carry with a round under the hammer.

Try this- with an UNLOADED gun. Hold the revolver at eye level, so you are looking at the left side. See the gap between the recoil shield and the back of the cylinder? Cock the revolver, pull and hold the trigger. See the firing pin protrude?

Now, release the trigger. Firing pin retracts, right? Now, without pulling the trigger, push on the hammer with thumb. Harder. I said HARDER, man! Does not move, does it?

The design either blocks the hammer, or in the case of a transfer bar system, shields the firing pin. It would take over around 5000 pounds of force to make that firing pin protrude.

The original Colt Single Actions, and the old style Ruger Single Actions were meant to rest on an empty chamber. TOTALLY different design. My EDC is a S&W mdl 36 in a pocket holster. Have had it since about mid 70s, no worries.

gunsmoke11 01-11-2013 04:54 AM

The Colt DS is a perfect choice. I carried mine for almost 20 years under the worse possible conditions. I still use it off and on since the late 1960's with complete confidence. It really is a fine revolver, but don't use +P ammo.
http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/...F/P1010024.jpg

Colby 01-11-2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1089019)
Present day double action revolvers (made since about 1920 in fact) are safe to carry with a round under the hammer.

Try this- with an UNLOADED gun. Hold the revolver at eye level, so you are looking at the left side. See the gap between the recoil shield and the back of the cylinder? Cock the revolver, pull and hold the trigger. See the firing pin protrude?

Now, release the trigger. Firing pin retracts, right? Now, without pulling the trigger, push on the hammer with thumb. Harder. I said HARDER, man! Does not move, does it?

The design either blocks the hammer, or in the case of a transfer bar system, shields the firing pin. It would take over around 5000 pounds of force to make that firing pin protrude.

The original Colt Single Actions, and the old style Ruger Single Actions were meant to rest on an empty chamber. TOTALLY different design. My EDC is a S&W mdl 36 in a pocket holster. Have had it since about mid 70s, no worries.

Not entirely true. Most modern - but modern from more recent years.
My Ruger Single Six from 1971 is on recall list from Ruger to install a transfer bar type safety mechanism to avoid accidental hammer strike discharges.

Have not had the work done. The original condition seems to be more collector desirable.

OP should check on the gun he is considering.

John_Deer 01-11-2013 08:00 AM

Both of my double action snubbies are safe to carry with a round under the hammer. I would bet you can strike my SP101 with a hammer and it will not fire. My new model SA hunting pistols are just as safe.

Doc3402 01-11-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colby (Post 1089110)
My Ruger Single Six from 1971 is on recall list from Ruger to install a transfer bar type safety mechanism to avoid accidental hammer strike discharges.

Have not had the work done. The original condition seems to be more collector desirable.

c3shooter is correct. The statement was:

Quote:

Your Ruger Single Six is not a double action revolver.

Donn 01-11-2013 11:40 AM

Great find HT. I'd love to have a DS. I'd sacrifice the +P capability of my current snubby for an extra round and larger grips just like that, (sound of fingers snapping).

mcb 01-14-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colby (Post 1089110)

C3 is correct. He referenced Colt SAA and older Ruger Single Actions. Rugers single actions made before 1973 (Old Models) were not safe to carry with the hammer on the chamber. New Model Ruger single actions use a transfer bar system to make them safe.

Ruger will convert Old Models free of charge. This may impact collector value and IMO the NM and conerted OMs do not shoot as well