Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > restrictions in school facility

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

for parents with kids in school, do you have your ccw in your vehicle when you drop them off at school? i'm confused if the gun ban in school facility include parking and driving areas. if so, does that make you leave your ccw at home? i'm sorry if this is a lame question but i just want to understand so i can stay within the limits of the law.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #2

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Probably depends on the state you are in.

NEVER FORGET

Old 02-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2279 Times on 1363 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

Florida statute 790.115:
(2)(a) A person shall not possess any firearm, electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon as defined in s. 790.001(13), including a razor blade or box cutter, except as authorized in support of school-sanctioned activities, at a school-sponsored event or on the property of any school, school bus, or school bus stop; however, a person may carry a firearm:
1. In a case to a firearms program, class or function which has been approved in advance by the principal or chief administrative officer of the school as a program or class to which firearms could be carried;
2. In a case to a career center having a firearms training range; or
3. In a vehicle pursuant to s. 790.25(5); except that school districts may adopt written and published policies that waive the exception in this subparagraph for purposes of student and campus parking privileges.
For the purposes of this section, “school” means any preschool, elementary school, middle school, junior high school, secondary school, career center, or postsecondary school, whether public or nonpublic.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 02-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 99 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

In GA, the law originally made it illegal to have a weapon in the car on school property. It was changed a couple years later to allow you to pick your child up at school as long as the weapon remained in your car and you do not park. So, you can go through the pickup line with it, but you can't park and get out. I know that seems over the top, but the reason they wrote it that way is that they consider a weapon in the car to be "unsecured" and able to be obtained by another person who could have "nefarious" intentions.

The interesting part is, that the reason it was changed is some over the top rookie cop stopped a speeder in a "school zone" and charged him with possession of a weapon in a "Gun Free School Zone" and took him to jail. The defendant sued the state and won. Then they changed the law.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #5

Liked 974 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 538

key word concealed.. just saying....
theres a website that has most of the states handgun laws
http://www.handgunlaw.us/

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #6

Liked 3730 Times on 1842 Posts
Likes Given: 1012

My state of WA exempts CCW holders for the purpose of droping off or picking up students.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:06 AM   #7

Liked 257 Times on 227 Posts

All I'm going to say is concealed is concealed.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:10 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 514 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 113

State Law trumps

Old 02-06-2013, 02:15 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7591 Times on 3304 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Krisms- the answer varies from state to state. Dan answered your question (I see you are in Florida). Say thank you, Dan.

The 790.25(5) mentioned in Dan's post is the Florida Concealed Weapons statutue. http://www.flsenate.gov/laws/statutes/2010/790.25

Bottom line- if you have a CCW, and you are in your car, picking up/ dropping off, and do not leave the car, Florida appears to accept that.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:44 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks for all the inputs! i'm in florida and what prompted this question was a breaking news earlier where it was reported that an 18-year old man was arrested with charges of "carrying a concealed weapon, possession of a firearm on school property, possession of a weapon on school property and trespassing with a firearm on school property". he had his gun in his vehicle with him but security later found other suspicious items. not sure if he's a ccl holder but in FL it is legal to have a firearm in a vehicle without a license (under certain conditions). i don't question the apprehension since the man actually did not properly conceal his weapon and was just hiding a loaded .22 under his legs but what got my attention was the kind of violations he was charged with.