Resorce for Detailed Gun Laws

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Resorce for Detailed Gun Laws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 04:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Resorce for Detailed Gun Laws

Does anyone know of a online resource for finding detailed gun laws/CCW laws for your state? You know like, 'do you have to yell help before pulling the trigger' or 'can you have a loaded gun while in your vehicle' etc.

I know there are some books out there, but I was hoping to find something that was updated more often. However, I'd take some book recommendations too.

Thanks,
Me

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-28-2011, 05:36 AM   #2
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A great thread! Looking forward to others input. Each state seem to have information available but as for more detail information I don't know of any. A few I have used besides the ones focused on my state are listed below but they don't have a lot of detail.

gunlaws.com - State by State Firearms Laws
Handgunlaw.us

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:56 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I would think for the amount we pay Mr. LaPierre he could hire a couple lawyers to keep up a more detailed listing for each state.

I would even be interested in a subscription service if I had to. Anyone can look up the laws, but they means little if you don't know how the courts have interpreted them in actual cases.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 04-30-2011, 02:32 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9415 Times on 4056 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

Just a general comment- remember that

(a) laws usually will not tell you what you CAN do- they tell you what you CANNOT do.

(b) laws include both the statute, and CASE LAW- how courts have interpreted the statutes

(3) You ain't Bill Hickok. Know when and where you can carry, what justifies using deadly force, and how to say "I would like to speak with my attorney before answering any questions." Frankly, I do not want to shoot anybody unless the alternative is to die or get hurt really bad. In that case, my focus is going to be on front sight, not the criminal code.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:20 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Just a general comment- remember that

(a) laws usually will not tell you what you CAN do- they tell you what you CANNOT do.

(b) laws include both the statute, and CASE LAW- how courts have interpreted the statutes

(3) You ain't Bill Hickok. Know when and where you can carry, what justifies using deadly force, and how to say "I would like to speak with my attorney before answering any questions." Frankly, I do not want to shoot anybody unless the alternative is to die or get hurt really bad. In that case, my focus is going to be on front sight, not the criminal code.
+1 on all accounts. And, I certainly do not want to shoot anyone either. Heck, I feel guilty once a year when I shoot Bambi.

I hope you didn't think my "Do you have to yell help before pulling the trigger?" meant I was looking to ply LEO or anything like that.

I'm just trying to find out all the stuff that I don't even know that I don't know.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Last edited by Jesse17; 04-30-2011 at 03:23 AM.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9415 Times on 4056 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

Jesse, did not mean to bark at you- problem with text, no voice inflection. Did not take your post to mean that you wanted to play sheriff- ref to Hickok was that he was an accomplished (and experienced) gunfighter. Under severe stress, fast movement, poor lighting, most of us have to concentrate to get a hit at 5 ft. No, really.

The ATF publishes a compilation of state guns laws- you get a copy with a FFL. Sucker is about 2 inches thick ( 1 inch is CA and Jersey). Problem is, the STATUTE may make use of the term "concealed from common observation", or "reasonable fear of greivous injury"- but there is CASE LAW where a judge has ruled that a particular circumstance WAS concealed, another WAS NOT reasonable, etc- and later courts are required to take notice of that case law. Which is why two lawyers can tear each other up in court.

There is a much older law- right of self preservation. Whether or not the law in my locale would justify me shooting a burglar in my living room, I would prefer not to. The cost of replacing the carpet is high, the folks from the rug cleaning company hang up on me, etc. But if his actions cause me to fear that he will seriously hurt me or my family, I will stop him.

I can sort out the legalities later- so long as I am alive to do that.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.