Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Reserve the right to refuse service (no gun allowed)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I have honored all posted signs about firearms not allowed in a business. Of course it is disrespectful to do otherwise. In our state it is rare to see a sign except at Federal buildings, VA nursing homes, etc.

My statements are more for the overall principles surrounding posted signs, etc. I asked WHY do they feel this way. I will make it a point to try and visit with them at the next opportunity. Is it because they have an uneducated view about guns and fear them? Is it some political statement? Or is it they fear the person carrying one? Maybe some can post their own factual knowledge of some of their reasons.

Here is my issues. 1) In our state, a person can carry a firearm not concealed anywhere it is not posted. No problems legally. Most of us choose not to do this for many reasons, one being there is nothing gained by 'flaunting' the fact you carry a firearm. On the other hand, if you conceal it without a permit, you are illegal. To me it is ironic. Of course there are many arguments on this both ways.
2) Yes, it is important that we use every means to educate the public and never use our 'right' in a way that brings criticism to our cause. However, I find few people that are 'on the fence' of this debate. Either you support the 2nd Amend or you don't. The side that fights against the 2nd, in my experience, DO NOT WANT TO BE EDUCATED NOR DO THEY WANT TO LISTEN TO REASONING. We have been in a 2 month struggle in our state with legislatures who are head strong and agenda minded. NRA has termed what our state legislature tried to pass WORSE than what NY passed. I sent countless letters and emails that were kindly worded trying to reason with them. No luck in convincing them.
Those on the fence I do not beat over the head but kindly try to educate them. I've had some success with those open minded.
3) Gun free zones (GFZ) are statistically unsafe. Others have pointed this out well and recent killings have emphasized it. So where posted signs exist, as is their right and to be respected, can become a very unsafe place. And yes, as of now, we have choices of where to take our business. But we still need to stand against this practice with education, our business, and our voices. My concern is, based on gradual gains by those against the 2nd, future efforts to limit where CC is legal will only grow.

At some point, we have to understand that making a stand may turn ugly. Not that I desire it. But a stand I will make. The other side is not playing fair with lies, ignoring statistics, and hell-bent on their agenda. We do take the high road and try to reason with them pointing on the truths. Eventually, we'll have to stand nose to nose with them. We should not be afraid to call it what it is. This struggle status seems close to saying we need to sit down and try to reason with terrorists - it never has worked in the past.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #62
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1796 Times on 931 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
I try not to patronize a business that doesnt allow me to legally protect myself but sometimes have no choice.

The way i see it, if the business owner thinks i dont deserve the right to protect myself then he/she is disrespectful to me even on his/her property. If they ask me to leave then i will and mention that my money will be spent somewhere that supports my 2nd amendment rights.

My company doesnt allow us to carry in company vehicles but i often do. The reason: They often send us to the rough part of town and ill be damned if im gonna be robbed, beaten or killed by some crack head or piece of trash because of a stupid rule.

Keep in mind im a hoosier and here in indiana those stupid signs have no legal weight.
They send you in their vehicle into (I can only image, Gary?) and tell you not to carry? I'd overlook that rule myself.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #63

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter

They send you in their vehicle into (I can only image, Gary?) and tell you not to carry? I'd overlook that rule myself.
We dont go that far, at least not the daycab guys. We have two OTR drivers with sleeper trucks that go out overnight.

Ive been to Gary, when I drove OTR for Swift flatbed my home terminal was in Gary, on Cline Ave next to the airport.

I compare the terminal to the prison in the walking dead, if i couldnt park and sleep inside the wire at the terminal id drive well outside the city limits to find a spot. I did park and bunk down at one of the steel mills once since they have security, but i did tie my doors shut from the inside using my seat belts, lol!

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Last edited by dragunovsks; 02-25-2013 at 08:07 PM.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #64
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1796 Times on 931 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
We dont go that far, at least not the daycab guys. We have two OTR drivers with sleeper trucks that go out overnight.

Ive been to Gary, when I drove OTR for Swift flatbed my home terminal was in Gary, on Cline Ave next to the airport.
I'm in the trucking biz as well. I don't know why anybody would go OTR without a firearms. Perhaps if they had to go to Canada or Mexico where it could get you in trouble.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #65

Quote:

I'm in the trucking biz as well. I don't know why anybody would go OTR without a firearms. Perhaps if they had to go to Canada or Mexico where it could get you in trouble.
Well at the time i drove otr i thought it was illegal for truckers to arm up

1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
Savage Model 64, .22LR
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 02-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #66

Quote:

Well at the time i drove otr i thought it was illegal for truckers to arm up, ive since learned otherwise. Swift also has a strict policy against it and they'd routinely search trucks unless you were an O/O, but I was a company driver. I didnt have a passport so i never crossed an international border. Here was my truck.

.facebook_12572.jpg

1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
Savage Model 64, .22LR
Bersa Thunder .380

Last edited by dragunovsks; 02-25-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:52 PM   #67

Liked 860 Times on 573 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Quote:
Well at the time i drove otr i thought it was illegal for truckers to arm up, ive since learned otherwise
Could you expand on that? I was under the impression that crossing many state lines with a gun could land you in trouble.......

Old 02-26-2013, 12:00 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter

Could you expand on that? I was under the impression that crossing many state lines with a gun could land you in trouble.......
We had a thread about it on here awhile back but basically what it says is that as long as its legal in the areas you drive through its legal to carry in a commercial truck. Lets say i was driving from indiana to missouri, i have an indiana permit but when i got to the illinois line id have to unload it, separate the ammo from the gun and lock said gun in a case. When i got to missouri state line i could unlock and reload if MO honors my indiana permit. Id have to know the laws of every state i traveled through or to.

Feel free to correct me if im wrong but thats the way it was explained awhile back.

1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
Savage Model 64, .22LR
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 02-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #69

Liked 860 Times on 573 Posts
Likes Given: 523

OK, right, I was aware that for instance NH permits are honored by some other states. But, yes, you have to know the rules in all the states you go thru, and comply. Which sounds like an almost impossible task to do, realistically. You made it sound like there was some kind of exception for truckers......

Old 02-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter
OK, right, I was aware that for instance NH permits are honored by some other states. But, yes, you have to know the rules in all the states you go thru, and comply. Which sounds like an almost impossible task to do, realistically. You made it sound like there was some kind of exception for truckers......
No, it would be the same for anyone driving in thier personal vehicle.

1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
Savage Model 64, .22LR
Bersa Thunder .380