Report or keep quiet???
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Report or keep quiet???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2014, 12:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 902 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default Report or keep quiet???

Well I had a thread a while back about how to concealed carry on a bike. So I ended up using some Velcro and two zip ties to hold a holster to the neck of the bike. Really just for big mean dogs and such. I have a small squirter of pepper spray on it now too for the first choice or if I'm in town.

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1403654158.481217.jpg

Anyway; I was out riding this evening out in the middle of nowhere on the back county roads and had an old late 70's/early 80's flat blue F150 come towards me. A minute later they passed me again from behind driving slow and staring. They went up about a quarter mile and turned around at an intersection and stop. As I got about 50ish yards away, the Hispanic passenger hopped out and grabbed about a three foot pipe out of the bed of the truck. He started walking towards me, swung the pipe around a little, kept saying something in Spanish, and was waiving and pointing his left hand to the side of the road. I assume telling me to get off the bike. I dunno. I only speak English but I know the bike is about $1000. I assume that's what he wanted. Again, I dunno. But I pulled the Glock, centered on his chest, yelled to stop or I'd shoot, and he froze, I assume shat his pants, and ran like hell back to the truck and they took off. No shots fired and finger never touched the trigger.
I had already peddled about 15 or so miles pretty hard so my heart was already thumping and that made me feel my pulse in my skull. I don't wear my glasses when I ride so I couldn't make out a license plate and was a little too freaked to really focus on it anyway.

I am lucky to live in a pretty fire arm friendly town. Even the city police have chatted with me about concealed carry and said they are big supporters. But I was outside of city limits so it would go to county or maybe state and I'm not sure of their stance. So what's the worst case for me if I report it?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-25-2014, 12:37 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3579 Times on 1838 Posts
Likes Given: 399

If you have a good relationship with the local LE, report it
People Like This 
Old 06-25-2014, 12:47 AM   #3

Liked 1337 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 857

So, the guy didn't see the gun holstered on the bike? Sounds lucky for you that you had it. I'd go to the friendly cops 1st, and talk to them.
I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:58 AM   #4
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1079 Times on 503 Posts
Likes Given: 552

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
If you have a good relationship with the local LE, report it
What if he has no relationship with local LE?

Old 06-25-2014, 01:06 AM   #5
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1079 Times on 503 Posts
Likes Given: 552

Back in my contractor days I had a couple of such encounters and the police weren't any help at all.
Not a criticism they just can't be every where at once, I din't bother as I did not get the plate number.
But typically thieves and thugs avoid conflict.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:10 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 248 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 171

If you draw your weapon, you should report it to get your story on paper versus the other guy getting another story on paper first.
People Like This 
Old 06-25-2014, 01:10 AM   #7

Liked 3621 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 2524

I just related this story to my wife to help her understand why I carry whenever legal.
People Like This 
Old 06-25-2014, 01:13 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

whether you shot or not, the fact is you did pull the pistol to defend yourself. IMO, yes definately report it and give LE as accurate a description, as possible of the truck, and the guys in the truck.

my reasoning is simple. what it the next person they decide to ambush doesn't have a gun? at least by reporting the incident, LE is looking for these two guys. it may save someone else from being robbed, assaulted or possibly even killed.
People Like This 
Old 06-25-2014, 01:21 AM   #9

Liked 902 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 51

But could/would they take said fire arm. What about the others? I've got a stupid number. Would/could they cancel the carry permit?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 06-25-2014, 01:22 AM   #10

Liked 295 Times on 254 Posts

Funny, reading that I assumed he was angry at you for riding your bike going with the flow of traffic late at night and aggressively telling you to try the other side or get off the road completely. That's something I'd do, without the pipe and repeated passing... or getting out and approaching. Lol okay, I'd just yell after I passed by, with a middle finger until you're out of sight. Then again that assumes there were no bike lanes.

Anyway, yeah, cover your butt for two reasons. One, you pulled your gun, they could report saying you had no reason and failing to report yourself could be viewed suspiciously. Two, as Axxe pointed out, your help could help protect/save others.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 06-25-2014 at 01:28 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This