Rendering Aid to a Victim -- A Twist on the Theme

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Rendering Aid to a Victim -- A Twist on the Theme

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2011, 02:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Default Rendering Aid to a Victim -- A Twist on the Theme

Hello,

While I do not intend to make this a religious thread at all, religion is what got me started thinking about this particular tangent on coming to the aid of a person being attacked.

Yesterday I was in my favorite restaurant getting a tall Concrete Mixer (like a Blizzard but with egg yolks and a lot less healthy -- they call it "frozen custard :tup: )

I have a usual seat, which probably speaks volumes about my eating habits hno: However, this time my seat was occupied by a Quaker couple. We have several of this religion around here, and they are some of the best folks I've ever met.

However, they do not believe in violence at all. I'm not sure of their exact beliefs, but I do not think they're even allowed by their religion to defend themselves -- though I may be wrong.

Likewise, I have some Amish friends. Granted, I've not seen them forever, but they did save my life during a blizzard when I was only a few months old and my parents had a country house. As I understand it, we had no power and no heat. We were snowed in. When the snows stopped falling, they came and got us in a horse-drawn sleigh to ride out the remainder at their place. They are good people.

I came to the conclusion a long time back that if a person is physically and mentally capable of resisting an attack, I would not interfere. I would call the police and be a good witness until they arrived.

If a person were in a wheelchair, say, or seemed a bit mentally impaired, I would intervene.

However, I never did consider moral and religious attitudes.

If a person simply will not resist due to character or lack thereof, I will consider him physically and mentally capable of resisting the attack, but unwilling to do so. I will not mix up in it further than the aforementioned calling of the police and being a witness.

However, if a person is raised in a religion that teaches pacifism, or even an extreme that would endanger that person to his religion (much like joining a secret society of any sort would earn a Roman Catholic excommunication), then I'm thinking that I would intervene.

In trying to justify this action to myself, I am chalking it up to being mentally unprepared to resist, much like, but not on the same level as, a mentally challenged person.

What would you do? If a person were were religiously prevented from self-defense, would you come to his aid, or would you view him as making a rational choice in not defending himself?

Thank you,

Josh

Is it better to live by a corrupt society's standards rather than face persecution for not doing the same? This is the dilemma we now face. We must hold fast to our convictions as we confront this dilemma. Knowing one's self goes a long way in the crisis. - Me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-22-2011, 03:08 AM   #2

Well yes, if it were absolutely needed i would

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them." -George Mason
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 07-22-2011, 03:25 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Just as it is their religion to not fight back it is mine to not allow anyone to be maimed killed robbed or murdered if i have the oppurtunity to render aid.

If they are offended i didnt let em die at least they will be alive to be angry.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-22-2011, 04:58 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2733 Times on 1431 Posts
Likes Given: 231

You are not bound by their religious tenents. You make your decision based on YOUR beliefs and let the chips fall where they may. If they verbalize to you that they do not want your help, then let them be. Until then, I'm gonna do my best to help.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2871 Times on 1658 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

If everyone had the same beliefs, then maybe we would not have so much violence.

I would not interfere, unless my life or the life of others are threatened. Words alone will not inflict harm. Physical assault is another story.

Cool heads have to prevail.

(Good post by the way)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Last edited by danf_fl; 07-22-2011 at 02:17 PM.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:02 AM   #6

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

It is something to think about, but on the same note if it were a 4 year old getting pushed around and smacked by 4 older teens would you step in to stop it? They can not fight back and I view it as need to step in in most cases to protect them that can not defend themselfs. But the ones capable of doing so and not doing it that is the real question that one needs to think about.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #7

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am not a cop.

If the need did arise given the situation, I would have to come to the aid of a human being.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:07 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I can't stand by and do nothing. I won't watch someone become a victim, I just can't.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:46 PM   #9

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 304

It may be their religion to not defend THEMSELVES...but what's to say it prevents kind hearted strangers from intervening....

I don't think I could sit by and watch another human being die if it could be prevented.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:19 PM   #10

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Well, not helping goes against my beliefs.

So........