Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Rendering Aid to a Victim -- A Twist on the Theme (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/rendering-aid-victim-twist-theme-45608/)

Joshua M. Smith 07-22-2011 02:18 AM

Rendering Aid to a Victim -- A Twist on the Theme

Hello,

While I do not intend to make this a religious thread at all, religion is what got me started thinking about this particular tangent on coming to the aid of a person being attacked.

Yesterday I was in my favorite restaurant getting a tall Concrete Mixer (like a Blizzard but with egg yolks and a lot less healthy -- they call it "frozen custard :tup: )

I have a usual seat, which probably speaks volumes about my eating habits :ohno: However, this time my seat was occupied by a Quaker couple. We have several of this religion around here, and they are some of the best folks I've ever met.

However, they do not believe in violence at all. I'm not sure of their exact beliefs, but I do not think they're even allowed by their religion to defend themselves -- though I may be wrong.

Likewise, I have some Amish friends. Granted, I've not seen them forever, but they did save my life during a blizzard when I was only a few months old and my parents had a country house. As I understand it, we had no power and no heat. We were snowed in. When the snows stopped falling, they came and got us in a horse-drawn sleigh to ride out the remainder at their place. They are good people.

I came to the conclusion a long time back that if a person is physically and mentally capable of resisting an attack, I would not interfere. I would call the police and be a good witness until they arrived.

If a person were in a wheelchair, say, or seemed a bit mentally impaired, I would intervene.

However, I never did consider moral and religious attitudes.

If a person simply will not resist due to character or lack thereof, I will consider him physically and mentally capable of resisting the attack, but unwilling to do so. I will not mix up in it further than the aforementioned calling of the police and being a witness.

However, if a person is raised in a religion that teaches pacifism, or even an extreme that would endanger that person to his religion (much like joining a secret society of any sort would earn a Roman Catholic excommunication), then I'm thinking that I would intervene.

In trying to justify this action to myself, I am chalking it up to being mentally unprepared to resist, much like, but not on the same level as, a mentally challenged person.

What would you do? If a person were were religiously prevented from self-defense, would you come to his aid, or would you view him as making a rational choice in not defending himself?

Thank you,

Josh

Comeswithbacon 07-22-2011 03:08 AM

Well yes, if it were absolutely needed i would

JonM 07-22-2011 03:25 AM

Just as it is their religion to not fight back it is mine to not allow anyone to be maimed killed robbed or murdered if i have the oppurtunity to render aid.

If they are offended i didnt let em die at least they will be alive to be angry.

robocop10mm 07-22-2011 04:58 AM

You are not bound by their religious tenents. You make your decision based on YOUR beliefs and let the chips fall where they may. If they verbalize to you that they do not want your help, then let them be. Until then, I'm gonna do my best to help.

danf_fl 07-22-2011 09:36 AM

If everyone had the same beliefs, then maybe we would not have so much violence.

I would not interfere, unless my life or the life of others are threatened. Words alone will not inflict harm. Physical assault is another story.

Cool heads have to prevail.

(Good post by the way)

opaww 07-22-2011 10:02 AM

It is something to think about, but on the same note if it were a 4 year old getting pushed around and smacked by 4 older teens would you step in to stop it? They can not fight back and I view it as need to step in in most cases to protect them that can not defend themselfs. But the ones capable of doing so and not doing it that is the real question that one needs to think about.

JohnJak 07-22-2011 01:25 PM

I am not a cop.

If the need did arise given the situation, I would have to come to the aid of a human being.

Gojubrian 07-22-2011 02:07 PM

I can't stand by and do nothing. I won't watch someone become a victim, I just can't.

TimL2952 07-22-2011 02:46 PM

It may be their religion to not defend THEMSELVES...but what's to say it prevents kind hearted strangers from intervening....

I don't think I could sit by and watch another human being die if it could be prevented.

Polygon 07-22-2011 09:19 PM

Well, not helping goes against my beliefs.

So........