Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Recommendation?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Consider what you want from the firearm; some wants rule others out. Smaller pistols generally recoil harder than larger pistols of the same caliber, but you have to decide how much small you want for the recoil. I like the Bersa Thunder .380, bigger than the LCP but less recoil.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:07 PM   #12

Liked 64 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 327

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawyerUp View Post
I am in the market for a carry gun. I want something small in size, but don't want to go below a 380. I have been looking at the LCP but I am hearing horror stories about the trigger. Any thoughts?
I'll sell you my Ruger LC9 with Crimson Trace Laser Guard for $375...

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P239, Sig P226 Navy (MK25)
Sig P238
Glock 19, Glock 20, Glock 26, Glock 36
Springfield XD 45ACP
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Stag Arms AR15 556
Ruger SR556E
SKS Chinese Norinco
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (2)
NRA Member

Old 12-21-2012, 01:17 AM   #13

I think my number 1 concern is size. I don't want to have any reason to not carry it. I think second would be the trigger. But I guess the 8 pound trigger won't feel bad compared to the probably 12 lb on my s+w sigma. I'm not overly concerned with stopping power because I know that that mainly comes with the type of round you use, not caliber. I don't mind a kick, I can handle that. And my hands are fairly small which is why I initially thought the LCP would be great for me.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:45 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawyerUp View Post
I think my number 1 concern is size. I don't want to have any reason to not carry it. I think second would be the trigger. But I guess the 8 pound trigger won't feel bad compared to the probably 12 lb on my s+w sigma. I'm not overly concerned with stopping power because I know that that mainly comes with the type of round you use, not caliber. I don't mind a kick, I can handle that. And my hands are fairly small which is why I initially thought the LCP would be great for me.
It sounds like you are on the right track. I didn't see your budget, but if you have about $425, this is in regular 9mm rather than 9mm short and is freakin tiny: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_51/products_id/76031/Kahr+Arms+CM9093+CM+9mm+3%22+6%2B1+Textured+Blk+Po ly+Grip+and+Fr I have yet to test fire one; i handled the PM40 and found it was actually a bit too small for my hands. They have a good rep for quality, and 9x19mm has a bigger variety of ammo types.

In the end, try to find a range that will let you rent your top two picks or at least a store that will let you handle them side by side.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 12-21-2012 at 03:49 AM.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #15

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post

It sounds like you are on the right track. I didn't see your budget, but if you have about $425, this is in regular 9mm rather than 9mm short and is freakin tiny: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_51/products_id/76031/Kahr+Arms+CM9093+CM+9mm+3%22+6%2B1+Textured+Blk+Po ly+Grip+and+Fr I have yet to test fire one; i handled the PM40 and found it was actually a bit too small for my hands. They have a good rep for quality, and 9x19mm has a bigger variety of ammo types.

In the end, try to find a range that will let you rent your top two picks or at least a store that will let you handle them side by side.
Agreed.... I love my XD 40 ... But its a little more spendy to shoot ... And the gun is just a touch to thick to conceal comfortably for me .... But on the other hand my pf9 is very forgiving for carry and as said above a big choice on rounds in a 9mm .... And more cost effient to shoot .... And for me I think 9mm is a good all around caliber for defense ... Especially at 30 ft... But shot placement is king ... And if you can't afford to get proficient with your carry gun you may as well stick with carrying your pocket knife ... Imo

Old 12-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #16

Liked 349 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Have you considered a revolver? I know a lot of people prefer more ammo capacity, but if you believe the statistics, (1-3 shots in most SD situations), that shouldn't be an issue. My S&W Bodyguard is light, easily concealed and the .38spl+p is an adequate SD round, superior IMHO to the .380 auto.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #17
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6760 Times on 4085 Posts
Likes Given: 8090

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
I had a police friend tell me that the one of the deadliest calibers is .22lr. I told him he was crazy. He then explained that a .22 doesn't have the power to go through a human, and instead rattles/jumps around inside the body and causes more damage internally than a .380 or 9mm.

Any truth to that?
When I was a paramedic, we were told a suicidal head shot with a .22 was usually more fatal than a poorly aimed shot with a larger caliber. If the .22 gets in the skull it may not have enough power to exit and can bounce around in the skull, killing the brain. A poorly placed larger caliber can enter and exit and not do much damage if the aim isn't right.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #18

Everyone has a different idea of a good carry gun. What is right for me, may not suit you at all. I was in your shoes a while back. I was looking for the perfect carry gun. Guess what? There is not a perfect carry gun. There are lots of very good carry guns availabe, though. I started with a Ruger SR9c. It's now my truck gun. I now rotate between a Glock26, Glock36, and Kimber Solo. I carry them all in Crossbreed holsters. They all fit my hand well, and they shoot to my liking. My suggestion is to find a friend, or range, that has several guns you can try before you buy. Of course, the fun is in the buying, and trading of different guns! Good luck!

Old 12-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1815 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just bought the Ruger LC9. It's a very nice size for carry.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #20

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Have you considered a revolver? I know a lot of people prefer more ammo capacity, but if you believe the statistics, (1-3 shots in most SD situations), that shouldn't be an issue. My S&W Bodyguard is light, easily concealed and the .38spl+p is an adequate SD round, superior IMHO to the .380 auto.
I agree that a .38 special wheel gun is am awesome choice ... And a sleek 9mm also ... The m&p shield is a sweet auto