Recommendation?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Recommendation?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Recommendation?

I am in the market for a carry gun. I want something small in size, but don't want to go below a 380. I have been looking at the LCP but I am hearing horror stories about the trigger. Any thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #2

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts

Lot of things to consider .... I think for me a big part was single or double stack? For wideth ...

Old 12-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #3

If you go .380 you can get real small also

Old 12-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7093 Times on 4270 Posts
Likes Given: 8604

Horror stories about the LCP trigger? I think that is overblown. It does have a long trigger put not "horrible". Personally, I own a Sig P238 and love it.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #5

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetobefree View Post
Lot of things to consider .... I think for me a big part was single or double stack? For wideth ...
Yuuuuuup....!

Old 12-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

I had a police friend tell me that the one of the deadliest calibers is .22lr. I told him he was crazy. He then explained that a .22 doesn't have the power to go through a human, and instead rattles/jumps around inside the body and causes more damage internally than a .380 or 9mm.

Any truth to that?

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2871 Times on 1658 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

The LCP does have a heavy trigger pull, as well as the Kel-Tec P3AT.

Not a bad thing considering that some are placed in pockets without a pocket holster.

Make a list of what you want in such a handgun, and then make of list of what you don't want in.

Give a quick run-down, and we may be able to come up with some suggestions.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
The LCP does have a heavy trigger pull, as well as the Kel-Tec P3AT.

Not a bad thing considering that some are placed in pockets without a pocket holster.

Make a list of what you want in such a handgun, and then make of list of what you don't want in.

Give a quick run-down, and we may be able to come up with some suggestions.
Yeah good idea......

Old 12-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #9

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
I had a police friend tell me that the one of the deadliest calibers is .22lr. I told him he was crazy. He then explained that a .22 doesn't have the power to go through a human, and instead rattles/jumps around inside the body and causes more damage internally than a .380 or 9mm.

Any truth to that?
Q: Power?

A: They have plenty of power, but because of bullet weight they're more apt to bounce around and stay inside IF they hit bone. But a thru and thru can happen with any caliber bullet.

Q: More deadly due to bouncing around?

A: It's not that it DOES, but that it CAN. So can a Hollowpoint of any caliber, though due to weight they may be less likely to. End of Story, any bullet can and will kill, but the smaller the hole the longer it takes to bleed out, unless you hit vitals or vertebrae. So don't shoot someone protecting yourself and think it's over simply because you hit him/her. The smaller the bullet the less the immediate affect. 22 MAY do the job, but a 12ga shotgun WILL do the job. It's all about operative words.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 12-20-2012 at 09:19 PM.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #10

Liked 104 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post

Any truth to that?
A person shot with 22 rimfire, without treatment can survive the initial contact for a couple weeks and seem fine, then just drop dead from internal bleeding and/or infection. or survive and recover. the problem with the 22 is that it typically is not all that capable as a 1 shot stop. the 22 short, is one of the oldest self contained metalic cartridge. it was designed primarily as technological innovation, and intended for self defense, in a small derringer or revolver, as a last ditch up close contact deep conceal weapon. typically aimed at the head/face area. a person shot in center mass in those days would live for a few days and seem ok, then drop dead from infection. as a last ditch close contact deep conceal weapon it places right before you would go for a knife in an encounter.

Last edited by phildenton; 12-20-2012 at 09:55 PM.