Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Recommendation? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/recommendation-78982/)

LawyerUp 12-20-2012 06:41 PM

Recommendation?

I am in the market for a carry gun. I want something small in size, but don't want to go below a 380. I have been looking at the LCP but I am hearing horror stories about the trigger. Any thoughts?

freetobefree 12-20-2012 08:17 PM

Lot of things to consider .... I think for me a big part was single or double stack? For wideth ...

freetobefree 12-20-2012 08:18 PM

If you go .380 you can get real small also

winds-of-change 12-20-2012 08:19 PM

Horror stories about the LCP trigger? I think that is overblown. It does have a long trigger put not "horrible". Personally, I own a Sig P238 and love it.

BeyondTheBox 12-20-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freetobefree (Post 1059589)
Lot of things to consider .... I think for me a big part was single or double stack? For wideth ...

Yuuuuuup....!

Squawk 12-20-2012 08:20 PM

I had a police friend tell me that the one of the deadliest calibers is .22lr. I told him he was crazy. He then explained that a .22 doesn't have the power to go through a human, and instead rattles/jumps around inside the body and causes more damage internally than a .380 or 9mm.

Any truth to that?

danf_fl 12-20-2012 08:22 PM

The LCP does have a heavy trigger pull, as well as the Kel-Tec P3AT.

Not a bad thing considering that some are placed in pockets without a pocket holster.

Make a list of what you want in such a handgun, and then make of list of what you don't want in.

Give a quick run-down, and we may be able to come up with some suggestions.

freetobefree 12-20-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1059599)
The LCP does have a heavy trigger pull, as well as the Kel-Tec P3AT.

Not a bad thing considering that some are placed in pockets without a pocket holster.

Make a list of what you want in such a handgun, and then make of list of what you don't want in.

Give a quick run-down, and we may be able to come up with some suggestions.

Yeah good idea......

BeyondTheBox 12-20-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squawk (Post 1059595)
I had a police friend tell me that the one of the deadliest calibers is .22lr. I told him he was crazy. He then explained that a .22 doesn't have the power to go through a human, and instead rattles/jumps around inside the body and causes more damage internally than a .380 or 9mm.

Any truth to that?

Q: Power?

A: They have plenty of power, but because of bullet weight they're more apt to bounce around and stay inside IF they hit bone. But a thru and thru can happen with any caliber bullet.

Q: More deadly due to bouncing around?

A: It's not that it DOES, but that it CAN. So can a Hollowpoint of any caliber, though due to weight they may be less likely to. End of Story, any bullet can and will kill, but the smaller the hole the longer it takes to bleed out, unless you hit vitals or vertebrae. So don't shoot someone protecting yourself and think it's over simply because you hit him/her. The smaller the bullet the less the immediate affect. 22 MAY do the job, but a 12ga shotgun WILL do the job. It's all about operative words.

phildenton 12-20-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squawk (Post 1059595)

Any truth to that?

A person shot with 22 rimfire, without treatment can survive the initial contact for a couple weeks and seem fine, then just drop dead from internal bleeding and/or infection. or survive and recover. the problem with the 22 is that it typically is not all that capable as a 1 shot stop. the 22 short, is one of the oldest self contained metalic cartridge. it was designed primarily as technological innovation, and intended for self defense, in a small derringer or revolver, as a last ditch up close contact deep conceal weapon. typically aimed at the head/face area. a person shot in center mass in those days would live for a few days and seem ok, then drop dead from infection. as a last ditch close contact deep conceal weapon it places right before you would go for a knife in an encounter.