Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Recommend a handgun for home defense on the cheap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
No shotgun because she wants to be able to occasionally go to the range with it and put holes in paper but can't afford a second gun.
I don't really understand this point, Yunus. How is having a single shotgun different to having a single handgun? She can take it to the range, punch some paper, clean it up and load it for home defense. That's what I do with my 870.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 02-23-2010, 09:43 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
A used S&W revolver or used Ruger revolver to start with. Barring that go for a used Ruger P series semiauto.
+ another for the Bear. Hibernation must be good meditation.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:10 PM   #13
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 461 Times on 253 Posts

Bear is a Genius. Should listen to any advice given by him.

Heck, a new Sigma could be had for a great price.
Quit hating on the Trigger, it is not that bad.

The Elsie Arrr(LCR) would be a great choice, the wife loves hers, got it from listening to advice from Bear.

Last edited by Shihan; 02-23-2010 at 10:12 PM.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:06 PM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What will a rock of crack get at the local Gunmart? Not trying to be a severe smart-ass (just a marginal one) but does she know anyone who would trade a Saturday Night Special for an old TV, a coffee table and a Starter jacket?
Bartering rocks.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 02-23-2010, 11:28 PM   #15

Liked 1630 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 1087

I currently own 13 handguns. I have two S&W, three Rugers, An awesome 1911 and several others.

But in my closet I keep an EAA Windicator for my wife to use. This is the cheapest gun I have that I would trust my life to. I had a $1000 1911 that would constantly jam. I bought the EAA brand new at a pawn shop for $205. It is a 2" 6 shot 357 magnum. It's plenty powerful for close range. With a 2" barrel you don't have to worry as much about someone trying to wrestle it out of your hand. It is also heavy. It's like carrying a brick in your pocket. That really helps with recoil. Glocks are nice. Several of my friends are cops. They swear by them. I would be concerned about a newbe trying to maintain an auto if they have never even cleaned a gun.
Another nice thing about a revolver is if you pull the trigger and it doesn't go bang, you can pull it again. And it doesn't just hit the same bad primer again. It puts a fresh round in front of that hammer. It's nice not to have to worry about safties either.

Whatever they get, they will need to practice a lot. Practice. Practice Practice.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:35 PM   #16

I also have the S&W Sigma in 40. Great Gun. Shoots right where I aim. But that doesn't even have the second strike capability. Once the hammer drops the slide must be racked again. I admit I carry mine often. But I am not new to this game by a long shot. A new shooter might even forget to chamber a round when under pressure.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:46 PM   #17

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I also have the S&W Sigma in 40. Great Gun. Shoots right where I aim. But that doesn't even have the second strike capability. Once the hammer drops the slide must be racked again. I admit I carry mine often. But I am not new to this game by a long shot. A new shooter might even forget to chamber a round when under pressure.
Who would carry a gun with an empty chamber - might as well carry an empty beer bottle. If you're going to carry a gun, carry it in a condition that it's ready for immediate use.

Yes, the Israeli's believe in carrying with an empty chamber - one of the few things I don't think they have right in the defensive arena...

Old 02-23-2010, 11:51 PM   #18

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
Whats the cheapest gun you would recommend for home defense?
Have him take the value of HIS LIFE and multiply it by 1,320.

That would be a good starting point.

Just tell him to get the Elsie.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-23-2010, 11:58 PM   #19

I always carry a chambered round. I totally agree with you. If I carry my 1911 it is cocked and locked. I would have it no other way. But we are talking about home protection. Many people keep a closet gun with an empty chamber. I do not. I have taught my 11 year old son how to defend himself if the need arises. But many people will not chamber a round in a gun that they do not have on their person.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:19 AM   #20
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 461 Times on 253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
Maybe I am reading this wrong, you have a Sigma and it has a Hammer?
It doesn't have second strike capability?

I am going to reread posts just to make sure I didn't miss something.