Recommend a handgun for home defense on the cheap
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Recommend a handgun for home defense on the cheap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1127 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 349

Default Recommend a handgun for home defense on the cheap

My friend and I are trying to think of the best recommendation for a home defense gun on the smallest budget possible for another friend of ours. The person who is buying the gun is not knowledgeable about guns, and will not clean it often if ever and will shoot it a couple times a year.

So the conversation between my friend and I went something like this.
Recommend a handgun for home defense on the cheap.
I responded, Glock.
I was told, too expensive.
I responded, used Glock.
I was told, too expensive.
I was then asked, whats the cheapest reliable handgun for having fun with. I said Hi-point. He then asked why I didn't just recommend Hi-point in the first place.

I said I would not recommend a gun for home defense that I would not trust my own life with. Maybe it's because I can afford better but Hi-point falls into that category for me.

So help me out here, revolver or semi-auto is fine(I have never owned and know nothing about revolvers). Shotgun is not an option. Whats the cheapest gun you would recommend for home defense?

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-23-2010, 12:38 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A used S&W revolver or used Ruger revolver to start with. Barring that go for a used Ruger P series semiauto.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 02-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Used S&W or Ruger wheelguns would be the best option, IMHO. .357 would be ideal, but .38 (+p rated) would also work.

I've seen some for really good prices just because they had some cosmetic damage.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 02-23-2010, 01:05 PM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
A used S&W revolver or used Ruger revolver to start with. Barring that go for a used Ruger P series semiauto.
As usual, Bear nailed this one.

The only thing I would add is a used S&W Sigma. They are available really cheap (at least around here) and they are a reliable gun with a crappy trigger. With a little work the trigger can be improved to make it less than crappy...

Old 02-23-2010, 01:22 PM   #5

The best thing for home defense, IMO, is a 12 gauge PUMP shotgun. Not very expensive either.
For a handgun I would recommend a revolver.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:26 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Definitely a good old 12 ga. pump shotgun. Why is it not an option, out of curiosity?

Failing that, a Ruger GP100 .357 mag, or S&W 686. The Ruger will likely be cheaper, but if you can get a deal on a used S&W, go for it.

If he wants an auto, Ruger P-series are cheap, durable, and in all the standard calibers.

So, yeah, what Bear said. The Bear is wise.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 02-23-2010, 02:30 PM   #7

Being that the person is not familiar with handguns, probably never will practice much, & will doubtfully clean the weapon,,,, the revolver is the only choice, in MY opinionm, unless they will settle for a 12-20 ga. shotgun. There are a few decent, makers of revolvers that can be found cheaper than S7 w, etc. I used to have a Rossi, that was a good pistol !

Old 02-23-2010, 02:42 PM   #8

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Just tell him to get a Ruger LCR, he can find for pretty cheap. It can shoot +P ammo, and when your friend finally does get around to cleaning it he wont even have to take it apart.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:32 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I agree with the Bear, a used revolver is the way to go. They're inexpensive and easy to use.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-23-2010, 04:42 PM   #10

Liked 1127 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 349

No shotgun because she wants to be able to occasionally go to the range with it and put holes in paper but can't afford a second gun.

I'm still of the opinion that she needs more experience with firearms before keeping one for ready for home defense and in the mean time could be saving, but I looked at the ruger revolvers and S&W, they do seem to meet the requirements and both are good brand names.

Thanks for the help all.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson