Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Recommend a handgun for home defense on the cheap (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/recommend-handgun-home-defense-cheap-23752/)

Yunus 02-23-2010 01:23 PM

Recommend a handgun for home defense on the cheap

My friend and I are trying to think of the best recommendation for a home defense gun on the smallest budget possible for another friend of ours. The person who is buying the gun is not knowledgeable about guns, and will not clean it often if ever and will shoot it a couple times a year.

So the conversation between my friend and I went something like this.
Recommend a handgun for home defense on the cheap.
I responded, Glock.
I was told, too expensive.
I responded, used Glock.
I was told, too expensive.
I was then asked, whats the cheapest reliable handgun for having fun with. I said Hi-point. He then asked why I didn't just recommend Hi-point in the first place.

I said I would not recommend a gun for home defense that I would not trust my own life with. Maybe it's because I can afford better but Hi-point falls into that category for me.

So help me out here, revolver or semi-auto is fine(I have never owned and know nothing about revolvers). Shotgun is not an option. Whats the cheapest gun you would recommend for home defense?

stalkingbear 02-23-2010 01:38 PM

A used S&W revolver or used Ruger revolver to start with. Barring that go for a used Ruger P series semiauto.

Franciscomv 02-23-2010 02:04 PM

Used S&W or Ruger wheelguns would be the best option, IMHO. .357 would be ideal, but .38 (+p rated) would also work.

I've seen some for really good prices just because they had some cosmetic damage.

NGIB 02-23-2010 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 235060)
A used S&W revolver or used Ruger revolver to start with. Barring that go for a used Ruger P series semiauto.

As usual, Bear nailed this one.

The only thing I would add is a used S&W Sigma. They are available really cheap (at least around here) and they are a reliable gun with a crappy trigger. With a little work the trigger can be improved to make it less than crappy...

Desperado-OPs 02-23-2010 02:22 PM

The best thing for home defense, IMO, is a 12 gauge PUMP shotgun. Not very expensive either.
For a handgun I would recommend a revolver.

Mr. Bluesky 02-23-2010 03:26 PM

Definitely a good old 12 ga. pump shotgun. Why is it not an option, out of curiosity?

Failing that, a Ruger GP100 .357 mag, or S&W 686. The Ruger will likely be cheaper, but if you can get a deal on a used S&W, go for it.

If he wants an auto, Ruger P-series are cheap, durable, and in all the standard calibers.

So, yeah, what Bear said. The Bear is wise.

Esteban 02-23-2010 03:30 PM

Being that the person is not familiar with handguns, probably never will practice much, & will doubtfully clean the weapon,,,, the revolver is the only choice, in MY opinionm, unless they will settle for a 12-20 ga. shotgun. There are a few decent, makers of revolvers that can be found cheaper than S7 w, etc. I used to have a Rossi, that was a good pistol !

DoyleTheDog 02-23-2010 03:42 PM

Just tell him to get a Ruger LCR, he can find for pretty cheap. It can shoot +P ammo, and when your friend finally does get around to cleaning it he wont even have to take it apart.

CA357 02-23-2010 04:32 PM

I agree with the Bear, a used revolver is the way to go. They're inexpensive and easy to use.

Yunus 02-23-2010 05:42 PM

No shotgun because she wants to be able to occasionally go to the range with it and put holes in paper but can't afford a second gun.

I'm still of the opinion that she needs more experience with firearms before keeping one for ready for home defense and in the mean time could be saving, but I looked at the ruger revolvers and S&W, they do seem to meet the requirements and both are good brand names.

Thanks for the help all.