Reciprocity - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Reciprocity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Is there any new information on this ordinance in Brandenburg KY?

Old 05-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #12

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keets
Is there any new information on this ordinance in Brandenburg KY?
No city law or ordinance can trump state law.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #13
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post

No city law or ordinance can trump state law.
While that may be true, good luck using that argument with the local pd.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #14

That is accurate but in this case after doing some digging, I just found an article talking about the ordinance being proposed in Brandenburg. As long as the ordinance deals only with banning the conceal carry of weapons in city buildings, it's completely legal.

It's first reading was during the April 8th meeting. I haven't read the ordinance itself but from the general idea and comments made by the city attorney, they understand this. I would suggest someone get a copy of the ordinance to verify that it does not overstep its bounds by banning the open carry of weapons or banning the concealed carry of weapons on city property.

Of course, I find the hole thing stupid because it just forces anyone entering into a city building to just tuck in their shirt or take off their coat. It won't prevent weapons from entering the buildings.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Generally, as it was accepted for a very long time, was that laws are trumped in this order. 1) Federal 2) State 3) County 4) City
Now, in the past 2, 3, and 4 couldn't trump 1. However, in recent times we've seen a large amount of State deciding to trump Federal, such as the original California medicinal pot laws, which I believe like 8 other states have joined in on. Technically, in those states it's still a Federal crime, which is the one carrying the most weight, however it seems the Fed has decided to look the other way, much how they do on illegal immigration.

But I'm no lawyer. If it's city buildings only, then that means like the Admin building, police station, city owned utilities buildings (like water, sewer, electric, etc) But, also, if the info from the poster who said that KY law says no city can create an ordinance of that measure, then it sounds to be unenforceable. However, I wouldn't want to be the one to test the system and pay the attorney's fees.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 05-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

I believe the state can trump federal law if the federal law is deemed unconstitutional. But good luck getting that to fly.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

We had this issue come up in wisconsin. Milwaukee madison and green bay lost millions in lawsuits when they arrested and confiscated guns of people open carrying. State constitution lays out that no city village town suburb county etc may make law counter to state law or state constitution.

All three cities passed laws against open carry tried to enforce it and lost millions in lawsuits. This happened before our ccw law was passed.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #18

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

@GenPat

Two local counties and the major cities within, here in Oregon, have produced their own municipality statutes which stand in opposition to state law allowing for loaded open carry without a concealed permit.

I guess, having a permit myself, it doesn't bother me much. Though, admittedly, I am actually a proponent of requiring any handgun ownership to be predicated upon and require a CCP. I think that's all one should have to do, just once, in order to be deemed worthy of legal firearm(s) ownership. That way the state and fed can know who may own guns, but how many and which types is none of their business.

Currently I have to go through a background check every gun I purchase, unless through a private party. I'm not to the point of paranoia that many in here are, not even close to it, but that doesn't mean I don't agree with their position.

Anyway, I'm rambling and becoming tangential. It does seem odd how many steps backward we've been taking over the years. It's not like this was a sudden change from day to night. They've been weaning us off our 2nd for decades, slow and steady. I think that's what you were getting at, no?

Old 05-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

BTB I agree once is more than enough to prove your legality. Do you boy have a CCW? Here in GA once you have one, you don't have to do background checks anymore to buy. You still have to fill out the form 4473 but that's all purchasers regardless or permits.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 05-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #20

I found this thread because I live in the Meade Co. area and I heard Brandenburg Kentucky recently passed an ordinance for concealed carry. That peaked my interests.

Kentucky law KRS 65.870 prevents anybody but the state from passing any laws, ordinances, or any other regulatory measure. However, in KRS 237.115, Kentucky gives permission for legislative bodies of a state, city, county, or urban-county to regulate conceal carry in very defined instances. As long as local governments follow the guidelines set forth in KRS 237.115, they are not in violation of KRS 65.870.