Read this before you decide to carry! - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Read this before you decide to carry!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 12:25 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan0626

Im not a cop. I have no intentions on "playing a cop." But, does it make sense to keep a set of handcuffs at home, and maybe carry a small set of zipcuffs in your pocket out side the home? So that while the man is incappacitated you can eith cuff him or ziptie him behind the back then begin to administer any life saving messures. This would prevent him from assualting you while within arms length. Your not arresting anyone, you are simply doing it for your safety. Which is more important than his life. Cops do it all the time, "for their safety" while conducting stops and pat searches.

It seems like a fine line between performing life saving measures to look better in court and maintaining your upmost personal safety.
Horrible idea. Do you have any experience cuffing someone? Do you know easy it is to be injured when someone decides to flail an arm around. Hell I have a nice scar on my wrist just from training. Keep them at gunpoint if needed untill someone who knows what they are doing shows up.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:40 AM   #22

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Thats what Im getting at. You want to give cpr or stop the bleeding to become a sympothetic figure. So, I think if your willing to be close enough to put your hand on his chest to stop a sucking chest wound, why not restrain him. I understand your argument. But the same outcome of being assualted can happen. You bend over to apply pressure to the GSR, he begins to wrestle you for your gun.

Like I said, it seems like a very thin line of watching him bleed out or put yourself in a risky situation to apply aid.

I work in a prison. If I work in segregation (confinement) I probably put on and remove more handcuffs in three months than a beat cop would in two years.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 07-01-2012, 01:05 AM   #23

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Ok then you know whats involved. For the average person I think its all bad, and even for someone trained in use you are opening yourself up to a lot of other issues. Honestly I wouldn't even touch a BG after he was on the ground minus getting a weapon on of his/her hand.

I understand this idea that attempting to save them after a shooting may look good, but I'm still naive enough (not to mention living in a state where its usually in favor of the shooter in many cases of SD), that a good shoot is a good shoot. If I was still living in CA, I'd probably help him load my TV in the back of his stolen car just to avoid a lawsuit.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan0626 View Post
Im not a cop. I have no intentions on "playing a cop." But, does it make sense to keep a set of handcuffs at home, and maybe carry a small set of zipcuffs in your pocket out side the home? So that while the man is incappacitated you can eith cuff him or ziptie him behind the back then begin to administer any life saving messures. This would prevent him from assualting you while within arms length. Your not arresting anyone, you are simply doing it for your safety. Which is more important than his life. Cops do it all the time, "for their safety" while conducting stops and pat searches.

It seems like a fine line between performing life saving measures to look better in court and maintaining your upmost personal safety.
I thought I covered the safety part in my post. Let's look at it again.

Quote:
If you can safely do it, render first aid to the man down. Just make sure it is safe to start first aid, and keep checking to make sure it is safe to continue your efforts. If the scene goes south on you, back off.
Obviously if the man down is surrounded by friends, neighbors, and relatives the scene is not safe. In that case do nothing but make the 911 call. If you can safely do it which will look better to the first officer and a jury, standing at the curb waiting for the cops or yelling for the cops while you try to render aid? Keep in mind this is only if the scene is secure and safe for you to render aid.

Would putting some sort of restraint on the patient be a good idea? Probably not, and we come into the safety part again. If the man down is alert and oriented enough to hurt you, the scene isn't safe. Stand back.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Use your head (your most powerful weapon) and only draw and fire your weapon to save you or someone’s life. This is the only righteous shooting. Anything else will find you in a cage or a box.
Excellent point in a great post. I wish they had stressed this in the CPL class I took, but they didn't. There was more said about gun cleaning than responsible carrying.

Discussion? Here? Get real.

canebrake Likes This 
Old 07-02-2012, 07:47 AM   #26

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Thank you canebrake for the very informative read and great post. Much appreciated on this end.

You may not like guns, and choose not to own one. That is your right. You might not believe in God. That is your choice. However, if someone breaks into your home the first two things you're going to do are: 1) Call someone with a gun. 2) Pray they get there in time. - Unknown
canebrake Likes This 
Old 07-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #27

Liked 62 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I am a trained first responder and without personal protective gear, ie latex gloves etc, I'm not touching someone I just shot. Hiv, hep c? That **** is everywhere.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdub View Post
I am a trained first responder and without personal protective gear, ie latex gloves etc, I'm not touching someone I just shot. Hiv, hep c? That **** is everywhere.
I don't know where you live, but you might benefit in the future from a little legal research now. Depending on your states law failing or refusing to act within the scope of your training could leave you open for a minimum of a nonfeasance civil suit. You could probably start with your local Good Samaritan laws and go from there. If that doesn't work ask your First Responder instructor to point you in the right direction.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #29

Liked 383 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Think about this every morning when I holster my piece. If you don't, all you should carry is pepper spray.
People Like This 
Old 07-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #30

Liked 62 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
I don't know where you live, but you might benefit in the future from a little legal research now. Depending on your states law failing or refusing to act within the scope of your training could leave you open for a minimum of a nonfeasance civil suit. You could probably start with your local Good Samaritan laws and go from there. If that doesn't work ask your First Responder instructor to point you in the right direction.
You honestly think you will get in legal trouble because you didnt render aid to someone who just tried to kill you? I could be a brain surgeon and not get in trouble for doing nothing. Its not my job to help someone who tries to murder me.