Read this before you decide to carry! - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Read this before you decide to carry!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2014, 11:14 PM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

[quote=ccase39;1618957]

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan0626 View Post
Im not a cop. I have no intentions on "playing a cop." But, does it make sense to keep a set of handcuffs at home, and maybe carry a small set of zipcuffs in your pocket out side the home? So that while the man is incappacitated you can eith cuff him or ziptie him behind the back then begin to administer any life saving messures. This would prevent him from assualting you while within arms length. Your not arresting anyone, you are simply doing it for your safety. Which is more important than his life. Cops do it all the time, "for their safety" while conducting stops and pat searches.

It seems like a fine line between performing life saving measures to look better in court and maintaining your upmost personal safety.[/

QUOTE]

I would think that might give the prosecutor some ammunition to argue that you are a trigger happy cop wanna be like they did in the Travon Martin case. They can skew anything you do to make it look like YOU are the guilty party. Just my 2 cents.
I would have to agree that carrying a set of cuffs, zip or otherwise, could be construed as "looking for trouble". Even I, as a CCW license holder, would look more closely if that were part of the incident in a case if I were a juror - not that any prosecutor would want a CCW license holder on the jury.

Do not be fooled by a belief that progressives, leftists hate guns. Oh, no, they do not. What they hate is guns in the hands of those who are not marching in lock step of their ideology. They hate guns in the hands of those who think for themselves and do not obey without question. They hate guns in the hands of (sic) those whom they have slated for a barrel to the back of the ear. -- Stanislav Mishin - 12-27-12 from his blog Mat Rodina reprinted in Pravda.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:34 PM   #112

Liked 24 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
I would have to agree that carrying a set of cuffs, zip or otherwise, could be construed as "looking for trouble".
as an electronics technician, I use at least dozens of tie wraps every day, and carry bags of a hundred each in various sizes. first thing any cop thinks when you pull one out of your pocket is you're a cop wannabe. you can tell them they were invented for the electronics industry, that you use a hundred before lunch break, you drop more in a week than they ever used in their life. you can tell the salt shaker in the cafeteria the same thing, it has the same effect, except the salt shaker does not argue with you afterward.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:11 AM   #113
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

just some things to ponder over.

first and foremost, your concern if for your own safety and any of your loved ones if they are there. remember, just before you shot this guy, he was trying to do harm to you or your loved ones, right? at least he had better have been if the shooting is justified.

this trying to cuff or zip-tie the BG is nonsense for several good reasons. first of all, just because he's bleeding all over the place doesn't mean he can't do you harm if you get too close. remember your personal safety first. and think about what the first responding LEO is going to think when he rolls up and sees a guy on the ground bleeding and cuffed or zip-tied. if it were me, i'd be a little suspicious of the motive behind the shooting. and also remember, that any investigators of the shooting, are going to confer with the first LEO that was on the scene for his initial impressions of the shooting.

first aid for the BG? i'm a bit on the fence on this for a few reasons. first of all, right before you shot the BG, he was trying to do harm to you or placed you in fear for you life, right? well you had better been in fear for your life or been in the path of imminent harm if you shot the guy. again, just cause he's bleeding doesn't mean he can't still do you harm. if you are going to render aid to the person you just shot, remember your personal safety first. first and foremost above all. IMO, you are not obligated to render aid to someone who just minutes before was trying to do you harm, and you had to use deadly force.

making a good impression by rendering aid to the BG? hmmmm....not so sure that would really apply. if the shooting was righteous and justified and the facts and evidence support your statements to LEO's about the shooting, i don't think it really matters one way or the other.

would i personally render aid to a BG that just minutes before was trying to do me harm? honestly, i don't know until it happens to me and i am in that situation. hopefully this something i hope i never, ever have to find out. i don't think this is a yes or no question, nor a one size fits all type of answer that can cover any or all scenarios.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:53 AM   #114
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 200 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Just thought I would add that your first call should be to 911 and the second call to a lawyer. Use a separate phone if you have to but do this immediately after calling 911. I was told this by my Parishes DA. I see a LOT of people say "I can't afford to have an attorney on retainer" The fact is that you do not have to have an attorney on retainer. I think it is every CWC owners duty to contact an attorney before hand, as soon as you get your CWC and get his number. Even better if you contact an attorney that specializes in gun law. Any attorney will be happy to give you an after hours number free of charge. Stash it in a safe place and hope you will never need it. Also keep in mind nothing says that the attorney that you have with you at initial questioning needs to be the same attorney that will represent you in court in the unlikely event you go to court.
You just need someone there who knows the law and can record the facts while you are being questions and advise you on what to say and what not to say.
Keep in mind that this is according to a conversation I had with the DA in my Parish of my state, check your own laws to make sure this course of action is best for you. But please do not be fooled into thinking you need to have an attorney on retainer. Just go through the phone book and make some calls.

Last edited by ccase39; 10-24-2014 at 03:55 AM.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 10-26-2014, 12:47 AM   #115
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1757 Times on 1083 Posts
Likes Given: 9704

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
Just thought I would add that your first call should be to 911 and the second call to a lawyer. Use a separate phone if you have to but do this immediately after calling 911. I was told this by my Parishes DA. I see a LOT of people say "I can't afford to have an attorney on retainer" The fact is that you do not have to have an attorney on retainer. I think it is every CWC owners duty to contact an attorney before hand, as soon as you get your CWC and get his number. Even better if you contact an attorney that specializes in gun law. Any attorney will be happy to give you an after hours number free of charge. Stash it in a safe place and hope you will never need it. Also keep in mind nothing says that the attorney that you have with you at initial questioning needs to be the same attorney that will represent you in court in the unlikely event you go to court.
You just need someone there who knows the law and can record the facts while you are being questions and advise you on what to say and what not to say.
Keep in mind that this is according to a conversation I had with the DA in my Parish of my state, check your own laws to make sure this course of action is best for you. But please do not be fooled into thinking you need to have an attorney on retainer. Just go through the phone book and make some calls.
Contacting a lawyer when you could be charged with a crime is always sound advice. Spot on Ccase.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.