Read this before you decide to carry! - Page 10
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Read this before you decide to carry!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 12:57 AM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 10 Posts

Thank you! Good advice but I have a minor problem with the part about disarming and rendering help.
Looking at it legally, if I'm scared enough to shoot I'm not getting anywhere near that person. Not to disarm them, not to render aid. I'm too scared. Scared people don't get Close to the things they are scared of.
Not saying it's bad advice, I'm just saying not for me.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:30 AM   #92
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 338 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Great read all the way thru this thread. Thank You for the info everyone.

At a recent Concealed Weapon multi-state training, the instructor spoke on this and also included the fact that one of the real stingers nowadays is in the event you kill someone in defense, the legal $$ comes in defending yourself from a lawsuit brought on you by the perp's family. I think some states have a protection factor on this but not sure on others. I was amazed at this but I guess it is in fact quite an issue.

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977

Old 01-30-2014, 04:13 PM   #93

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you very good read

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 01-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #94

Liked 2050 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

If I feel a need to shoot someone in self defense or home/family defense, I figure no matter what else happens I saved my skin or my family's skin. Fear of losing my weapon short term or forever, or having to be detained short term or getting sued by the perp's family will NOT be a factor in deciding to protect self and loved ones. I hope what I am thinking about is shooting straight and popping off rounds until the perp(s) are on the ground. In which case I'll give them a band-aid

I have no interest in playing 'Captain America' and stopping a bank robbery or a convenience store holdup. Anyone who carries for that reason is in my opinion more of a danger to society than a help. One thing that really rang true back when I took CCW training is that anything other than self defense or family/castle defense is apt to have you shooting the wrong person or for the wrong reason. I suppose if someone was blasting away I might get involved but that rarely is the intention of a robber. They say give them what they want is the best thing to do, they typically want to be outta there asap. If you shoot the guy in the back as they are fleeing that is most definitely NOT self defense

The example they gave was of a situation where you see a woman in a car, and a man standing next to the window pointing a gun at her screaming for her to get out. You make the assumption he is car-jacking the poor woman and shoot him dead. It turns out she is stealing the car from him and he was trying to stop her. THAT's why you carry - to save your own a**, not someone else's. You want to protect citizens, become a LEO

Last edited by chloeshooter; 01-30-2014 at 04:37 PM.
People Like This 
Old 01-31-2014, 05:21 PM   #95
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
If I feel a need to shoot someone in self defense or home/family defense, I figure no matter what else happens I saved my skin or my family's skin. Fear of losing my weapon short term or forever, or having to be detained short term or getting sued by the perp's family will NOT be a factor in deciding to protect self and loved ones. I hope what I am thinking about is shooting straight and popping off rounds until the perp(s) are on the ground. In which case I'll give them a band-aid

I have no interest in playing 'Captain America' and stopping a bank robbery or a convenience store holdup. Anyone who carries for that reason is in my opinion more of a danger to society than a help. One thing that really rang true back when I took CCW training is that anything other than self defense or family/castle defense is apt to have you shooting the wrong person or for the wrong reason. I suppose if someone was blasting away I might get involved but that rarely is the intention of a robber. They say give them what they want is the best thing to do, they typically want to be outta there asap. If you shoot the guy in the back as they are fleeing that is most definitely NOT self defense

The example they gave was of a situation where you see a woman in a car, and a man standing next to the window pointing a gun at her screaming for her to get out. You make the assumption he is car-jacking the poor woman and shoot him dead. It turns out she is stealing the car from him and he was trying to stop her. THAT's why you carry - to save your own a**, not someone else's. You want to protect citizens, become a LEO
Excellent post. I once used an example of hearing a woman scream behind a building and finding her nude with a man on top of her. Is she getting raped, or is it a husband and wife satisfying their kinky side? A reasonable person would believe he was raping her, but what if...? In criminal court the reasonable man argument might hold up, but could you live with yourself if you were wrong?

That's something so many of these Rambo wannabes don't consider. They get a gun and they're suddenly out to save the world. They spout the "legal" argument backwards and forwards, but they forget about the moral side of it. If they have any conscience at all they will regret shooting someone for the rest of their lives. Make it a bad shooting and it's even worse. With protecting yourself or your family you can at least justify taking another person's life. You'll still feel like chit, but at least there was a good solid reason behind your regret.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:47 PM   #96
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 58 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Great read, Cane...thanks

Old 02-01-2014, 01:45 AM   #97

THANK YOU for this thread. It is a must read.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 02-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #98

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts

Great thread

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 04-10-2014, 07:35 PM   #99

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Don't post it until you hear back from Canebrake. I am bringing this to his attention. He's been busy but he'll get back to you.
I would like to do the same thing and will also wait to get permission. I would like to post it to my own Facebook, with attribution of course and I also run the West Central Illinois Friends of NRA Facebook page and web site. This post would be of interest to our members as well. I also expect it would bring traffic and new members here. I'll wait to here more... Thanks - Dave

Do not be fooled by a belief that progressives, leftists hate guns. Oh, no, they do not. What they hate is guns in the hands of those who are not marching in lock step of their ideology. They hate guns in the hands of those who think for themselves and do not obey without question. They hate guns in the hands of (sic) those whom they have slated for a barrel to the back of the ear. -- Stanislav Mishin - 12-27-12 from his blog Mat Rodina reprinted in Pravda.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:43 PM   #100

Liked 205 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 109

In California there is a specific CCW class you need to take for the LTC, which I just finished. Massad Ayoob videos factor large in the class. He covers a lot of ground on this topic.