Reactions?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    


Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Reactions?


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2014, 10:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BeyondTheBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,630
Liked 295 Times on 254 Posts

Default Reactions?

I've yet to have anyone give a noticeable glance or reaction toward me or my pockets when concealed carrying. Actually, and surprisingly, I got more reactions when open carrying my bowie knife than when I even open carried my gun.

That seem odd to anyone else? Any similar stories/experiences?

I mean, printing is just a fact with pocket carry of a gun of decent defensive caliber, even with baggy pants there's a bulge, but when in a holster no one can trek what that bulge is, looks like a dang flip phone or something. Still, a knife on my hip... I was befuddled.


BeyondTheBox is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 07-02-2014, 11:59 PM   #2
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MisterMcCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bumfugg, Egypt
Posts: 10,223
Liked 9175 Times on 4958 Posts
Likes Given: 19351

Default

Men are expected to carry knives around here. They are handy tools.


No offense and none taken


__________________
No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄
MisterMcCool is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:51 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Detroit,mi
Posts: 3,461
Liked 1341 Times on 793 Posts
Likes Given: 250

Default

I open carry a lot. I can count on one hand the number of times anybody ever said anything to me, and it has been 100% positive. Outside of those comments, I'd guess less than a dozen times anybody even notices. Only one person has visibly noticed my conceal carry and that was a LEO, but I was in a position that it was a bit more noticeable. He looked at it, looked at me, and that was the end of it.
partdeux is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:00 AM   #4
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Pasquanel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: S.Maine
Posts: 1,303
Liked 1043 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 533

Default

Times have changed, when I was in High School I hunted in the morning and carried my 30-06 slung over my shoulder into the school and put it in my locker and no one even questioned it!
Today guns are not allowed anywhere near a school and there are more incidents of gun violence than ever. One would think that thinking people could solve the 2+2= ? equation but no they cannot!
What they can do is vilify the weapon/instrument and make us law-abiding citizens the villains. The question we should be asking is why so many of our young ones appear to have no conscience and can in their minds
justify killing their classmates? In my opinion some of it is due to they being desensitized by the overly violent content of some video games. Some of these are so realistic they are disturbing to me and I fear for the children who have access to them
__________________
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.
Pasquanel is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:33 AM   #5
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WebleyFosbery38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Irish Settlement CNY
Posts: 7,485
Liked 8220 Times on 4234 Posts
Likes Given: 9466

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post
Times have changed, when I was in High School I hunted in the morning and carried my 30-06 slung over my shoulder into the school and put it in my locker and no one even questioned it!
Today guns are not allowed anywhere near a school and there are more incidents of gun violence than ever. One would think that thinking people could solve the 2+2= ? equation but no they cannot!
What they can do is vilify the weapon/instrument and make us law-abiding citizens the villains. The question we should be asking is why so many of our young ones appear to have no conscience and can in their minds
justify killing their classmates? In my opinion some of it is due to they being desensitized by the overly violent content of some video games. Some of these are so realistic they are disturbing to me and I fear for the children who have access to them
We had nearly the same experience, school wasnt a place where anything but bad behavior was forbidden. We all carried knives and often enough there were guns in the windows of truck of teachers and students nearly every day (if there was a gun in the rack, you knew there were bullets in the glove compartment). If the weather was nice, a game or two of mumblety peg during lunch! Yes folks, there is a real game that kids played with knives and it wasnt all that dangerous!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumblety-peg

Heres the real rub, we had bullies that would pound you but nobody ever did anything assaultive with a Gun or Knife, it just didnt happen.

As far as BTB's original comments, I agree, most folks round here dont get nervous if we see someone packing, this is the country not Downtown Chi-Town!
WebleyFosbery38 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:44 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
eatmydust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: pennsylvania
Posts: 4,366
Liked 3619 Times on 2067 Posts
Likes Given: 2520

Default

No matter what I've pocket or IWB carried, I've never had anyone notice.
__________________
"Your fear is 100% dependent on you for it's survival." - Steve Maraboli, Life, the Truth, and Being Free
eatmydust is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Rick1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Clifton,Colorado
Posts: 4,523
Liked 2155 Times on 1181 Posts
Likes Given: 1393

Default

I have been carrying concealed just about every day for the last 6 years. One time an old lady at church hugged me by surprise. Normally if I think someone is going to hug me I leave my left arm down over my gun, and just hug them with one hand. I am pretty sure she felt it. I was packing a full sized 1911. But she just smiled. She has known me for about 15 years.

Another time I was gassing up my car. There was what I thought was a gang type person on the other side of the pump. They were being very aggressive toward me for no reason. I think they were trying to scare me. He had finished pumping his gas. But he was making vulgar motions toward me. I was wearing a light shirt that covered my weapon. But a strong gust of wind blew my shirt up. I am pretty sure he saw it because a look of fear came across his face. Immediately he got in his car and drove across the parking lot to pick up his girlfriend that was embarrassed by his behavior.

I am pretty sure those are the only times someone has noticed.
__________________
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
Rick1967 is offline  
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:32 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Detroit,mi
Posts: 3,461
Liked 1341 Times on 793 Posts
Likes Given: 250

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
But a strong gust of wind blew my shirt up. I am pretty sure he saw it because a look of fear came across his face. Immediately he got in his car and drove across the parking lot to pick up his girlfriend that was embarrassed by his behavior.

I am pretty sure those are the only times someone has noticed.
And yet there are those that only CC for the element of surprise. Many people, including I will OC for the deterrent, which you inadvertently experienced.
partdeux is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:02 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gig Harbor,WA
Posts: 853
Liked 110 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
I've yet to have anyone give a noticeable glance or reaction toward me or my pockets when concealed carrying. Actually, and surprisingly, I got more reactions when open carrying my bowie knife than when I even open carried my gun.

That seem odd to anyone else? Any similar stories/experiences?

I mean, printing is just a fact with pocket carry of a gun of decent defensive caliber, even with baggy pants there's a bulge, but when in a holster no one can trek what that bulge is, looks like a dang flip phone or something. Still, a knife on my hip... I was befuddled.
Been my experience as well, but I tend to be more in the country. If I tried to oc in tacoma or seattle the sheep would **** bricks. Concealed is the best ootipn in sheepville, even if its obvious, badly printing or partly exposed they dont seem to notice.
phildenton is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:43 AM   #10
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScottA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Davenport,IA
Posts: 7,140
Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Default

Nope. Never had anyone notice.


__________________
Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
ScottA is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Some Reactions to School Shootings Doc3402 Legal and Activism 9 12-29-2012 02:12 AM



Newest Threads