Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Rationale for CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 04:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Rationale for CCW

The CCW app in my CA county requires a statement for the reason for requesting a CCW. What are things you do or don't want to say here?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2012, 05:54 AM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I often work late at night, alone in the office. I make the cash deposits for the firm. I travel in and through high crime areas, often late at night to go home. I am afraid that I will be killed or injured as a result of these high-risk activities. For these reasons, I am requesting that I be granted a ccw permit for my own protection.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:32 AM   #3

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierram37 View Post
The CCW app in my CA county requires a statement for the reason for requesting a CCW. What are things you do or don't want to say here?
Sounds like a trap, the wrong answer here may get a denial. If its a "may issue" scenario I would consult a local gun club, shooters association or someone who has been successful in obtaining a CCW to learn what the preferred response should be. Here in New Jersey being in fear for your life, self defense and any general response, any response actually, has been deemed insufficient for a CCW. New Jersey is a may issue state in name only, as are many CA counties.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-20-2012, 06:34 AM   #4

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Check out calguns, I know they were building a list of causes that have succeeded.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 02-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #5

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How about "because it's my right under the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution"?

Sorry, I realize you're in Kalifornia, and that doesn't work there......

Seriously, I would find out from others what verbiage has been successful. Unfortunately, that leaves a lot of leeway for denial by some random bureaucrat.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 02-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #6

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Glad I don't live there. I would do two things as some homework....

1- Find out all the details around why this question is being asked. You can ask any of the CC instructors in your area.

2 - Talk to someone in CA that was successful in getting theirs to find out what they put down.

Asking the question on this forum is a good start, but lots of opinions may be shared and not necessarily what you need to be successful. I would at least look into the two things I mentioned since its right in your back yard.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #7

Good advice guys, thanks. I'm on CalGun so I'll poke around there. Fortunately I live in a conservative county, but the gun range is a good idea as well. I'm staying in kalifornia as someone has to be conservative here! Maybe some day a move to Carson city Nevada but for now, me and the wife are staying while the last two kids go thru high school.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #8

Liked 1949 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 4282

I don't know exactly what they would want to hear but saying "It's my right", while true, probably isn't going to score you any points. The whole question itself is frickin' bogus, it's really none of anyone's damn business. I don't remember being asked why I wanted a driver's license and that's a PRIVILEGE, not a right. I'd say target, competition shooting and leave the rights and SD stuff out of it.

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 02-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 904 Times on 540 Posts
Likes Given: 1254

This is, indeed, a trap. In case of a shooting, what you reply with WILL be used against you. If you reply, "Because I carry large sums of money to the bank deposit box", then have a situation when you shoot to defend your life, but you are not carrying large sums of money to the bank at the time of the shooting, you can be considered in violation of the terms under which you are covered by the permit. Use as general a reason as you can, such as "for personal protection". Or give a reason like "I have arthritis and am not strong enough to defend myself without a weapon". Don't restrict yourself to only one specific set of circumstances.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #10

Liked 198 Times on 137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierram37
Its a part of the app in indiana too but all you have to say is personal protection.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380