Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Rationale for CCW (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/rationale-ccw-58305/)

sierram37 02-20-2012 05:56 AM

Rationale for CCW

The CCW app in my CA county requires a statement for the reason for requesting a CCW. What are things you do or don't want to say here?

Ranger-6 02-20-2012 06:54 AM

I often work late at night, alone in the office. I make the cash deposits for the firm. I travel in and through high crime areas, often late at night to go home. I am afraid that I will be killed or injured as a result of these high-risk activities. For these reasons, I am requesting that I be granted a ccw permit for my own protection.

Jpyle 02-20-2012 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sierram37 (Post 714735)
The CCW app in my CA county requires a statement for the reason for requesting a CCW. What are things you do or don't want to say here?

Sounds like a trap, the wrong answer here may get a denial. If its a "may issue" scenario I would consult a local gun club, shooters association or someone who has been successful in obtaining a CCW to learn what the preferred response should be. Here in New Jersey being in fear for your life, self defense and any general response, any response actually, has been deemed insufficient for a CCW. New Jersey is a may issue state in name only, as are many CA counties.

pagj17 02-20-2012 07:34 AM

Check out calguns, I know they were building a list of causes that have succeeded.

treehugger49 02-20-2012 12:51 PM

How about "because it's my right under the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution"?

Sorry, I realize you're in Kalifornia, and that doesn't work there......

Seriously, I would find out from others what verbiage has been successful. Unfortunately, that leaves a lot of leeway for denial by some random bureaucrat.

northhike 02-20-2012 12:53 PM

Glad I don't live there. :confused: I would do two things as some homework....

1- Find out all the details around why this question is being asked. You can ask any of the CC instructors in your area.

2 - Talk to someone in CA that was successful in getting theirs to find out what they put down.

Asking the question on this forum is a good start, but lots of opinions may be shared and not necessarily what you need to be successful. I would at least look into the two things I mentioned since its right in your back yard.

sierram37 02-20-2012 01:48 PM

Good advice guys, thanks. I'm on CalGun so I'll poke around there. Fortunately I live in a conservative county, but the gun range is a good idea as well. I'm staying in kalifornia as someone has to be conservative here! Maybe some day a move to Carson city Nevada but for now, me and the wife are staying while the last two kids go thru high school.

vincent 02-20-2012 01:58 PM

I don't know exactly what they would want to hear but saying "It's my right", while true, probably isn't going to score you any points. The whole question itself is frickin' bogus, it's really none of anyone's damn business. I don't remember being asked why I wanted a driver's license and that's a PRIVILEGE, not a right. I'd say target, competition shooting and leave the rights and SD stuff out of it.

AIKIJUTSU 02-20-2012 08:10 PM

This is, indeed, a trap. In case of a shooting, what you reply with WILL be used against you. If you reply, "Because I carry large sums of money to the bank deposit box", then have a situation when you shoot to defend your life, but you are not carrying large sums of money to the bank at the time of the shooting, you can be considered in violation of the terms under which you are covered by the permit. Use as general a reason as you can, such as "for personal protection". Or give a reason like "I have arthritis and am not strong enough to defend myself without a weapon". Don't restrict yourself to only one specific set of circumstances.

dragunovsks 02-20-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sierram37

Its a part of the app in indiana too but all you have to say is personal protection.