Quietest Effective Self-Defense Pistol? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Quietest Effective Self-Defense Pistol?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 03:42 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 342 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 161

God willing, I'll never find out but that damn Ruger LCP is loud even WITH hearing protection. A friend was busting my stones about the effectiveness of a 380 - I told him the sound alone w drive an attacker off.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:14 AM   #32

Liked 9213 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I was amazed at the gawdawful racket a JA 22 makes. Un freaking believable.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #33

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimogden1984 View Post
Most of the people I know into speaker systems like em loud. I can't help but think loud music/movies on a regular basis would be harder on the hearing than 1 or 2 shots from any realistic self defence gun
FWIW, I'm an audiophile and I do not like loud music - the standard level of music and movies I listen to is about 70-80 dB. Prolonged exposure to 90-100 dB+ does cause hearing loss, but I never listen at those volumes for more than 3-5 minutes. I've spent a couple thousand on home audio equipment, I don't want to ruin my hearing in any way I can avoid to where I won't be able to appreciate any of it as much as I previously had.

On Auditory exclusion, it does make you forget the gun went off but it damages your hearing nonetheless. Just because you don't remember hearing it doesn't mean the sound of the gun going off didn't go into your ear with all its pressure. I do not hunt, simply range practice so I have no experience with firing anything without hearing protection - always wore it because usually someone else on the range had something that was like thunder when it went off. I'm fine with the idea that everyone else doesn't care if they're deaf or has tinnitus, but hearing is finite and once you lose it you never regain it so that's why I'm so protective of it. Given the way I see lots of people drive around with car subs blasting constantly I'm surprised those people aren't deaf when they turn 30.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #34

Liked 335 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

You're still focusing on something that really does not matter in a self defense situation. Nobody WANTS hearing damage, but to even consider what handgun is the quietest is downright silly. There are so many variables that effect the amount of noise a gun makes when fired that it cannot and should not be considered. Barrel length, ammo choice, action type, compensator (or not) are all going to have a pretty large impact. Trust me, I understand being anal, OCD and over researching things, I tend to be that way too, but I still think you're over analyzing something that may never happen and if it does happen, a few shots fired in self defense will not permanently hurt your hearing.
People Like This 
Old 10-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

If you use a lanyard on one of those Nagant pistols to swing it like a flail, that would probably be quiet, other than the screaming.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:18 PM   #36
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Shinto, you are correct about that even if you don't remember the loud noise in a situation that it can damage your hearing is true. but, you're way over analyzing this, on the remotest of chances you might have to use a firearm is SD. and trying to choose a firearm based on it's sound output is IMO not the correct criteria for choosing a firearm for protection.

look for a pistol that fits your hand well and is reliable should be the first two factors involved. choose the largest caliber you can shoot accurately and practice with it on a regular basis, (with hearing protection) and don't worry about what if's. if frogs had wings, they wouldn't bump their asses when they jumped!
SparkPlug Likes This 
Old 10-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #37

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Shinto, you are correct about that even if you don't remember the loud noise in a situation that it can damage your hearing is true. but, you're way over analyzing this, on the remotest of chances you might have to use a firearm is SD. and trying to choose a firearm based on it's sound output is IMO not the correct criteria for choosing a firearm for protection.

look for a pistol that fits your hand well and is reliable should be the first two factors involved. choose the largest caliber you can shoot accurately and practice with it on a regular basis, (with hearing protection) and don't worry about what if's. if frogs had wings, they wouldn't bump their asses when they jumped!
As usual I agree with axxe- Most handguns don't bother me to shoot without HP but I have one 1911 in 45acp that I WILL NOT shoot without muffs just plinkin or practicing- don't ask me why its different but its like driving a hot nail into my left eardrum- BUT its my nitestand gun- Bet your azz i won't think about it if i have to use it-
People Like This 
Old 01-03-2015, 07:58 PM   #38

Newbie to your forum, but not a newbie to firearms.
By the way, yes I do understand that this is a rather old thread but I want to add my opinion nevertheless.

Shintsu is thinking this topic through quite logically I would say. I endure tinnitus every waking moment, and I can tell you it is not something that you really ever get used to. I wear hearing protection every time I go to the range as well as when mowing the lawn. Hearing damage is cumulative and I don't want any more of it than I already have.

Everyone who seems to be denigrating Shintsu's interest in the quietest self defense cartridge appear to be doing so from a different position than what should be used. If the moment arises when one MUST use deadly force, of course you will do so without regard to how loud it will be. However, Shintsu is making the assertion that the firearm he would use if that fateful day ever comes, would be one that would cause the least amount of damage to his and his family's hearing. Shintsu I applaud you for researching that choice early.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:06 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 845 Times on 530 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Will this help, there doesn't seem to be enough difference to matter.
Quote:
Table 3. CENTERFIRE PISTOL DATA

.25 ACP 155.0 dB
.32 LONG 152.4 dB
.32 ACP 153.5 dB
.380 157.7 dB
9mm 159.8 dB
.38 S&W 153.5 dB
.38 Spl 156.3 dB
.357 Magnum 164.3 dB
.41 Magnum 163.2 dB
.44 Spl 155.9 dB
.45 ACP 157.0 dB
.45 COLT 154.7 dB

Old 01-06-2015, 09:33 PM   #40

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

****su was out of his mind. Anyone who has been hunting or in combat knows that adrenaline protects your hearing.

http://www.healthyhearing.com/content/articles/Hearing-loss/Protection/47463-Hearing-loss-protection-fight