Quietest Effective Self-Defense Pistol? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Quietest Effective Self-Defense Pistol?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
personally IMO, you are overthinking this. dwelling on factors that don't even need to considered. go to a gun store or range and shoot some pistols in different calibers and types, and find one that suits you. buy it and practice with it on a regular basis and become profficient with it and forget about the loud noise it might make if in the remotest of chances you might have to use it to defend yourself with it.
If you knew the amount of research I did on basically everything, it would probably drive you nuts. Personally I think too many people don't research things thoroughly enough, I do my best to consider all factors beforehand. I'm just afraid going to the range and comparing them they're all going to sound about the same through my earmuffs, but that without them there might be a more appreciable difference (But I'm not even about to fire a shot without them on).

The only list I found was the one here: http://keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?ID=2052

For the relevant calibers I mentioned is

.38 Spl 156.3 dB

9mm 159.8 dB

.45 ACP 157.0 dB

So this reinforces the idea to me that the 9mm is the loudest because of the velocity which it travels, whereas the .38 and .45 are slower calibers in general. Based on that list, there's minimally any difference between the .38 and .45 - but I've always thought the 9mm was supposed to be quieter than the .45? 3 dB difference will sound twice as loud, which is rather noticeable.

I'm thinking I'll end up comparing a 9mm and .45 caliber pistol at this point, but I'm still happy to hear thoughts on the loudness of these calibers. I know the frequency is supposed to factor as well, 9mm being a bit higher and .45 being a bit lower I believe. Again, I'm not a gun expert by any stretch I'm just trying to comprehend all the data I've looked at.

P.S. I'll be able to handle a .45 or 9mm fine either way (I shot a .45 once before and as I said it was easy to handle - though again I shot a 1911 style not like the XD-S), I don't have a big concern about that - I'm sure there's an appropriate gun for me in either caliber. But if we threw the .357 magnum into this comparison, wouldn't you agree that's rather excessively loud and a bit more difficult to handle compared to a .45 or 9mm and for what appreciable benefit for SD? Sure, if it's life or death you use whatever - but if you could choose and you're an equally good shot with both say a .45 and a .357 wouldn't you go for the .45 assuming there's no noticeable need for the .357 at the distance you would be engaging?

Last edited by Shintsu; 10-07-2012 at 09:32 AM.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8842 Times on 3828 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

While you are (over)analysing this, consider that you have no control over what caliber or firearm a bad guy may be shooting at you.

This is sort of like selecting a fire extinguisher based on whether the color (when wet) matches the color of the stripe on the hull of your boat.

Also consider that the sound is going to vary greatly depending on which cartridge is fired, and which gun fires it. .38 Sp wadcutter target loads are pretty mild- .38 Special Corbon or Buffalo Bore +P+ loads are an entirely different matter.

Would be MUCH more concerned with this data: http://home.comcast.net/~v2creative/defenseammo.html.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #13

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

There are so many factors. Make, model, and barrel length are going to affect this too. And all of the three you mentioned will cause hearing damage over time with no hearing pro.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #14

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Try to ignore the sound when shooting. I practice this everyday when my wife is talking.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #15
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2137 Times on 1160 Posts
Likes Given: 771

Have you heard the phrase "straining gnats and swallowing a camel"? You're focussing on the wrong criteria in your decision making. How loud a round is, which by the way is just as dependent on the specific design of the handgun as compared to the round it fires, is incidental.

I direct your attention to the following thread.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/choosing-handgun-mike-seeklander-58208/

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA
People Like This 
Old 10-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #16

Liked 2188 Times on 1290 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Those decibel readings you posted. What length barrels were used in comparison? What loads?

Shorter, more concealable barreled pistols will make more noise due to the amount of powder burning after the bullet leaves the muzzle. This also results in more flash that could temporarily affect your night vision. Also if you take cover near something hard you will get more reflected sound waves back toward your ears. Ported barrels can also amplify flash and noise. Using +P rounds can also increase noise and flash. Different ammo loads from different manufacturers will also have different noise levels.

You gotta lot of other variables to research if you want the quietest effective caliber. Also looking at decibel differences less than 10 I think your ears would be hard pressed to know the physical difference.

Add to that what others have said exposure to loud noises for breuf periods if time will be less likely to cause long term hearing damage. Even emptying a mag of 18 rounds would likely cause minimal if any permanent hearing damage.
Of course when you practice you should use hearing protection.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #17

Liked 1449 Times on 880 Posts
Likes Given: 337

If "quite" is your prime creteria, I would buy one of the Beretta 950BS pistols in .22 short. Not real big on knock-down but quite. I read where the Mossad used these for close-up wet work; two shooters emptying the pistol into the victims belly, with the pistol in contact with the shootee, and not being heard in the adjacent room.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 10-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

ALL popular self defense handgun calibers exceed decibel levels known to cause hearing damage. Accept that fact and buy something you can shoot well.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #19

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 15

You are trying to mitigate a 4db spread between calibers?? For all it's worth, your ears and body cannot measure a 4db difference. You should buy a knife instead, nice and quiet.

acoustics and harmonics have different sensitivity levels for everyone, what is easy on your ears could be very painful for someone else. Like I said, 4db is a moot point.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #20

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Easy fix here....just buy a Hi-Point and beat the perp to death with it.

Hearing will be the last thing that crosses my mind if I have to use my gun to protect my family.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.