Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Questions on concealed carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2009, 05:09 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Welcome to the Forum Ed -

JD

Old 03-23-2009, 11:06 PM   #22

I think you should go with a glock 9mm. It is by far my favorite firearm. It's extremely reliable!
Women of Caliber

Old 03-25-2009, 03:31 AM   #23
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Welcome Ed,
I would suggest a S&W 38 snub nose j frame for ease of use and ease of carry. If you want a semi auto I would suggest a S&W M&P 9mm compact, it far exceeds the Glock. Best advice when looking for a personal protection firearm is to shoot as many as possible, understand the limitations of a small carry pistol and use it ONLY for personal defense (10 to 25 foot range) and pop every round you have if attacked. Last and most important practice with your firearm.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #24

Frank,

Depending on your state, you could opt for open carry. It may or may not require a license, and it affords you the ability to carry the largest firearm that you can fire accuratly.

If you do decide to explore this option, visit opencarry.org and check things out (lots of good info for OCers).

This option, though, is not for everyone. I also expect there will be a few people to reply to this message stating that OC is a "bad idea" or that "it'll make you a target". I would encourage you to make up your own mind, instead of listening to those that have never done it.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:05 AM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
OP-

The Glock 26 9mm looks like a winner to me. It is compact . They say it is reliable and easy to shoot accurately . I haven't fired one yet but want to . Glocks must be carried in a proper holster for safety . When you remove the gun to go to bed, you can leave it in the holster for safety too . Why do I always think of safety when recommending Glocks ?
You may wish to compare your ability to fire a .45 and a 9mm one-handed from an imperfect stance fast and accurately ...
The Glock 39 is the exact dimisions of the 26 and is in the .45. Obviously fewer rounds, but you are making that choice regardless.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:21 PM   #26

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 760

i've had my ccw for about a year now...i started out carrying a s&w mod 915 9millie...very light and not to big...4inch barrel i think?.15rds..woohoo!..of course everyone tells me you cant stop a crazied crackhead geeked up on god knows what ever?...with a 9mm...prob not?...so i looked for a bigger cal. and got a .45 now it is full sized S.A.a-1 1911 ...to me its not to big or heavy...even carrying 3 extra 8rd mags with it...but if i or anyone for that matter (god forbid) is put into a situation to where deadly force is the only solution..i want somthing that i know is going to do the job...but we also need to think about that gun we use to do this...we may not never see it again...now im not saying i would trust my life with a .45cal hipoint pistol....but then again i dont want my custom kimber .45 took away from me for just protecting my family or the ones i love & myself..i cant help im a cheap bastard...hell im a poor white boy..just trying to live.just something to think about?

Old 04-06-2009, 11:46 PM   #27

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law View Post
i've had my ccw for about a year now...i started out carrying a s&w mod 915 9millie...very light and not to big...4inch barrel i think?.15rds..woohoo!..of course everyone tells me you cant stop a crazied crackhead geeked up on god knows what ever?...with a 9mm...prob not?...so i looked for a bigger cal. and got a .45 now it is full sized S.A.a-1 1911 ...to me its not to big or heavy...even carrying 3 extra 8rd mags with it...but if i or anyone for that matter (god forbid) is put into a situation to where deadly force is the only solution..i want somthing that i know is going to do the job...but we also need to think about that gun we use to do this...we may not never see it again...now im not saying i would trust my life with a .45cal hipoint pistol....but then again i dont want my custom kimber .45 took away from me for just protecting my family or the ones i love & myself..i cant help im a cheap bastard...hell im a poor white boy..just trying to live.just something to think about?
its a RIGHT...not a privilege

Old 04-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #28

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

When the point comes (again?) that I have to defend myself/family with deadly force, the cost of my defense gun or ammo is the LAST thing on my mind. If you are clearly justified in using deadly force, you WILL get your weapon back eventually. If the situation isn't clearly justified, you're going to be out a LOT more than the cost of your handgun. Remember-even if you are cleared in criminal court, you still have civil court to deal with (ie wrongful death suit). Don't laugh-it CAN & WILL come up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law View Post