Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Questions on concealed carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2009, 02:09 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 209 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 1

OP-
If you depend on a gun that is hard to hit with at distance, low-powered and maybe less reliable , well, remember not to try to break up any bank robberies or mass murders . Your tactics will have to be tailored for the belly gun .

Tiny autos tend to be unreliable because a lot has to happen in a small space .

A S & W J-frame 5-shot .38, with concealed hammer, makes a better choice as a pocket gun . It is no fun to shoot and kicks way harder than a K-frame M&P Model 10 but it is effective, reliable, safe and simple to operate .

The Glock 26 9mm looks like a winner to me. It is compact . They say it is reliable and easy to shoot accurately . I haven't fired one yet but want to . Glocks must be carried in a proper holster for safety . When you remove the gun to go to bed, you can leave it in the holster for safety too . Why do I always think of safety when recommending Glocks ?
You may wish to compare your ability to fire a .45 and a 9mm one-handed from an imperfect stance fast and accurately ...

Old 03-15-2009, 05:54 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
A S & W J-frame 5-shot .38, with concealed hammer, makes a better choice as a pocket gun . It is no fun to shoot and kicks way harder than a K-frame M&P Model 10 but it is effective, reliable, safe and simple to operate .

My S&W 640 is my favourite gun to shoot, I think that people tend to exagerate the difficulty of firing a snubbie well, or how uncomfortable they can be.

Sure, felt recoil is more than what you would get from a bigger gun, but it isn't that terrible.

Perhaps I'm just weird, but I do enjoy shooting my snubnose revolvers a lot.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:15 PM   #13

If your looking at the glock 26, the 19 is also something I would consider. Its not much bigger than the 26, the grip is about an inch longer which makes it easier for me to shoot, and it holds 5 extra rounds.

Of course, it all boils down to what feels good in your hand and what you are going to carry on a daily basis.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:31 AM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Dress for success and C/C the most you can. Regarding the .380, I carry a very small AMT Backup as a pocket pistol or in a belt holster with a loose cover shirt in the summer because I do landscaping and really can't reliably hide anything bigger. I carry 95 gr FMJ, because research has led me to believe that hollow points wouldn't give me enough penetration to hit vitals, especially at any distance. As the rounds tend to keyhole at 15 yards, my odds of doing anything more than aggravating a bad guy are pretty low to begin with. The .380 is a great round when you are up close and stand a good chance of a throat or nose shot, but not for slugging it out against a .40 Glock. The value of the round is in the concealability of the weapon firing it. It is a great round when used within its limitations.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to be on the receiving side of any bullets, 380's or not.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:39 AM   #16

I have a 3" 1911, a J-frame sized .38 spc and a LCP. The 1911 is great when you are wearing a lot of clothes. It's my preferred gun in the Pocono Mountain winters.

As it is getting warmer, my lightweight revolver goes with me all more often. .38spc +p self defense ammo has plenty of power for it's purpose. I find the alloy framed wheel gun very easy to carry.

The LCP can be concealed wearing anything more than a Speedo. That's it's great advantage. Drop it in a pocket holster and slide in into the shorts and off you go. Even light clothing will hide it just fine. I'd admit, it's not the easiest to shoot and lacks a bit of punch, unlike the previous two, but even a little ornery gun is better than none.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:30 AM   #17

its all in where you hit the target.
A .45 to the left finger is no where near as effective as a .380 to
the brain.
All being said though...I carry a 3" Colt Defender in .45
Its small, powerful, accurate and concealable. I wear it for about
18 hours per day...and no I'm not a cop. I just have a ccw.

Check out this link about a gun fight and how important caliber and
shot placement is!
WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING.....VERY GRAPHIC!!!!
http://www.defensivecarry.com/documents/officer.pdf

Old 03-18-2009, 02:30 AM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I most often carry a NAA Guardian .380 in a pocket holster I made with a flat piece of leather that covers the whole gun attached to the outside of the rig. I stick it in my hip pocket and it looks like a wallet. Do I have more effective weapons that I could carry concealed? Yes, several, a Kimber Compact, SP 101, and others getting larger. But how do you carry them? Under anything but a heavy coat or a guyabarra or Hawaiian shirt you look like your stealing musk melons. So, I figure the .380 in my pocket might be less effective than I'd like but it's way more effective than the .45 in the safe.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:25 PM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I carry an array of weapons at different times, but the most important thing is... I carry at least one weapon at all times.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:01 PM   #20

Default Carry Gun

Hi all i like to carry my Glock20 10mm with 15rnds + 1 in chamber plenty of power, plus sometimes depending on where i go an xd-45 with 13 rnds +1 chambered and spare mag for each does get heavy at times as you can imagine