question about concealed carry and your spouse - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > question about concealed carry and your spouse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 125 Times on 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
If it was me, with her being very small, and so reluctant, I would go to 22lr, something that won't scare her and that she feels like she can learn to control and use. After the 22... who knows, she may go for something larger. But if not.... a 22 is a lot better than no gun - or being afraid of guns.
baby steps. we're taking baby steps! haha. we went on a "date night" to the local range/shooting club with some of her aunts/uncles, mom/dad, it was a catered dinner and 30 minutes on the range shooting .22 semi-auto pistols. She enjoyed the whole evening/experience because it was more than just a trip to the range, and the .22 was small and controllable. She's going again in a couple weeks with her cousins.

I'm confident that eventually she'll be comfortable enough to want a .22 of her own, and over time gain experience and confidence around firearms.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #42

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

My wife despised guns when we first got together some 17 years ago. I've been carrying for a little over 10 years now and she didn't understand it at first either. Now she carries a Bodyguard 380 everywhere she goes. Give it time, have patience and take her shooting. Eventually she'll come around or you'll have more room to put more guns

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:49 AM   #43
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

It took me a few years to get my wife to carry. She started to join me at the range, and then suddenly one day I realized she was doing all the shooting and I was just sitting there loading magazines. A few weeks back she asked me if we could shot for a CCW for her. I haven't gotten my ass off the couch that fast in my life. The next day, after letting her shoot what seemed like every concealable handgun on earth, she decided on a .32
So, I got her a Keltec P32. It came with a little blue case, about half the size of a mouse pad and she loved that since it concealed the P32 while in her purse, and I liked how it didn't get flopped around in her purse and beat up. She actually asks nowadays to go without me prompting her. Moral of the story, immerse her in range time, make sure she has fun and her time may come sooner than you think.

GP

Old 01-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #44

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

With my wife I had to make sure it wasn't my idea (she thinks), the majority post here say the same thing,, take it in steps, slowly expose her to it, not just pulling triggers( which of course is the best part), but safety, history of guns,, you may have to cover maintenance, , but I enjoy cleaning mine so no big. Hopefully in time, it'll grow on her, and if not pressured may even think it was her idea all along.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:39 AM   #45
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear304inc View Post
With my wife I had to make sure it wasn't my idea (she thinks), the majority post here say the same thing,, take it in steps, slowly expose her to it, not just pulling triggers( which of course is the best part), but safety, history of guns,, you may have to cover maintenance, , but I enjoy cleaning mine so no big. Hopefully in time, it'll grow on her, and if not pressured may even think it was her idea all along.
Yea, I had to settle for doing all the cleaning and maintenance myself. A small price to pay if you ask me

Old 01-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 144 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I was a Cop when we got married and at that time Dept regs were that you wore your weapon, at least one reload and your badge at all times. Due to that she got used to it.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #47

Liked 409 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Mrs. knows I carry, if it bothers her in any way she's never mentioned it. I don't flaunt or make a big deal out of it. It's concealed inside the house as well as outside. Don't play the role, (Dirty Harry, John McLain). No grandiose pronouncements about "What I'd do to that SOB" while watching the evening news. That said, and at the risk of sounding like Mr. Macho, it wouldn't matter. EDC's my decision, personal choice.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:07 AM   #48

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Thought I would chime in. My wife and I are about to take our CCW class and subsequently obtain our permits. I will probably carry and she says she won't. I'm hoping she re-considers but I'm ok if she does not. Here in Missouri we can have guns in our vehicle legally as it is a Castle law state and our vehicles are part of our "castle" Anyway, I'm thinking that if she does start bringing her weapon, she will eventually get tired of locking the vehicle every time she gets out of it. So right now I am looking for a couple of concealed carry choices for when that day comes. I do not know if S&W still has a "lady smith" but something that size would be here preference, since she likes revolvers. But I may also look at the Bersa Thunder CC, in .380 as well. Any suggestions would be great. I may just start carrying my Walther P99.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:47 AM   #49

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Technically smith and wesson doesn't still make the "lady smith" instead they allow all its features on the standard 38 snub nose they sell (the pink grips are kindof a dead give away though)

Old 01-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #50

Liked 284 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I first got my fiance into just going shooting with me. That wasnt hard to do and she enjoys shooting with me. We went together to get our Cpl's so we could carry and she still carrys hers. S&W 638 and yes she has a pink holster for it, and yes the front sight is painted pink. I bought her pink grips for it also but they broke. She likes it and she carrys it everyday. Now were married and she now wants a 1911 as a carry gun so were gonna get matching TRP's except hers will probally have pink grips. Or Ruger 1911's depending on what we find.

forumrunner_20130115_024614.jpg  

Last edited by fupuk; 01-20-2013 at 06:29 AM.