question about concealed carry and your spouse - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > question about concealed carry and your spouse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 03:11 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts

As a retired pro fighter ... And an accomplished martial artist ... I believe the things I've taught my family is in their favor when it comes to defending themselves ... But I also believe that I have spent my life training to have the upper hand in a SD situation ... So I feel in this day and age with the violent use of guns in the hands of the bad guy ... Its my duty to carry and to teach my family the respect of guns and the responsibility of carrying to again train to have at least a level playing field and an upper hand due to training in a SD situation

Last edited by freetobefree; 01-02-2013 at 03:18 AM.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:03 AM   #32
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2337 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 844

Yuckers deserved to be taken to the woodshed, but his posts were just a hair this side of trolling. Do not pursue this line any further or greater action will be required.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 01-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #33

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Pfft. Go ahead and permanently ban me. I couldn't care less. I despise forums with overly sensitive members and moderators who pounce on anyone who dares to express a politically incorrect differing point of view.

And using the excuse of "trolling" to ban people is typical of close-minded totalitarian a-holes who use that as an excuse to censor opposing viewpoints and maintain a culture of accepted groupthink.

Trolling is in the intention of the writer, and I can assure you that I'm not trying to troll anyone... Just merely speaking my mind honestly... If that offends you or others, too bad...

I've also never insulted anyone directly on these forums. Yet I've been personally insulted multiple times without seeing any ban threats for them. Nor do I want them to be banned. I'm a big boy. I don't mind.

So, take your warning and shove it. If that's the "culture" at this forum then I don't want to participate in it anyway...

Anywho, since this will probably be my last post on these forums... I probably should use it to pass on another useful tip...

As to the person above advocating using unarmed martial arts to reliably protect yourself and your loved ones; I personally put very, very little faith in unarmed martial arts. And I think anyone who relies on unarmed martial arts to defend themselves is dangerously naive and delusional...

Unfortunately, I have some personal experience with this...

My best friend was a martial arts fanatic. It was his main passion in life. From the age of 5 'til the day he was murdered by a pack of illegal immigrants in 2006... he routinely took all kinds of martial arts classes and had the black belts to prove it.

Yet all of that extensive martial arts training did absolutely NOTHING for him when he was attacked...

The ONLY thing that could have possibly saved his life was a concealed carry firearm...

Lesson learned: Always carry a gun as much as possible. And a tactical folding knife as well as a last resort. If you think your karate, TKD, kung fu, MMA, Muay Thai, boxing, etc, classes will save you... you've watched too many movies...

Don't get me wrong, though. Learning unarmed martial arts is great fun. I've taken Pankration, Krav Maga, etc, classes myself. It's good exercise and a fun hobby. And it's obviously better than nothing. But if you actually think it will save your life against mutiple armed attackers, or that the young/female members of your family are safe now now that you've taught them these unarmed combat techniques, you're in la la land...

A gun is the only thing that will reliably protect you... And even then you can still be murdered...

Last edited by Yuckers; 01-02-2013 at 10:59 AM.
chloeshooter Likes This 
Old 01-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #34

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Don't know Yuckers' past history here, but the last part of his post I do agree with. I have had martial arts training myself and for self defense, I and and many others in that community, agree that traditional martial arts are almost useless in a swift attack or mugger type situation.

Many of the stances of traditional martial art forms set a person up for vulnerability and harm. The attackers do not behave "nicely" like the martial arts forms expect. The precise positions needed to deliver kicks/punches are not available - the attacker won't line up for you and behave - as in a martial arts match.

There are other forms of self defense - and training for it - that work much better. But they are brutal and swift - because they have to be to counter the BG brutal swiftness.

The martial arts training can certainly help - with general fitness, balance, control. But the actions needed immediately upon a swift attack are not martial art actions - they are brutal self defense reaction moves that vary instantly by the attackers position. Brutal and deadly actions are needed from you.

The best defense in an attack - is to run away - if possible.

The bad guy is going to be stronger than you, faster than you, in much better condition than you (this is his business), much more practiced in street fighting than you, and he knows exactly what he is going to do to you - he is going to do it very quickly. He will also have the element of surprise and he will have his buddies off to the side to help. You are almost certainly going to lose.

If you are unarmed, and can't escape, you must be able to very aggressively and quickly attack this person in extremely close quarters - close on him very quickly to contact - grabbing him, severely injuring him, etc. Because that is what he is going to do to you. Not line up nicely for a martial arts meet. This is ugly stuff.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #35

Liked 2050 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Yuckers, the way it works here, the real "trolls" are the guys that scour every post, looking for evidence of anything that doesn't match their views on 2nd Amendment, NRA policy, etc.. Basically, there are a handful or two of members that do that from what I can tell. I don't need to list them, they are easy to find. Name calling, relentless badgering and the like are the tools of the trade. That defines troll in my book. Besides, what in the heck is the point of having ANY kind of forum that doesn't allow differing opinions?

Last edited by chloeshooter; 01-02-2013 at 02:03 PM.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #36

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I believe in rational debate, differing opinions are what make us exercise our minds. With that being said,, I did, and will again rebuke irrational, ignorant, and highly offensive blanket statements made by ANY member here,, just happened to be a new guy. I'm over it,, if that gets the banhammer swinging,, then swingaway, I refuse to idly stand by.

sliding off the saddle of my high horse now.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #37

Liked 125 Times on 89 Posts

to get back on topic...

my wife has always been uneasy around guns. I attribute it to her lack of experience and understanding. I've taken her out and taught her how to shoot, the safety of weapons, what to do that is and is not safe. She is better, but still VERY uneasy around them. I can never get her to fire off more than about 4 shots before she's like "ok, I'm done, here you go" I think part of that is because she's a VERY small woman, and all of my guns are full sized semi-auto pistols or AR rifles. She hasn't shot my new M4gery but I think that with the collapsable stock and red dot sight, it would be much better suited to fit her. she can't provide a full, strong grip on the handguns, and they are hefty (no polymer guns here!)

I tried to buy her a compact .380 thinking the smaller cartridge wouldn't kick as much, and the smaller frame would be easier for her to handle and grip. However, because of it's small size, the recoil was in my opinion, "snappy" which she did not like.

She was also reluctant and reserved with me getting my CCW permit. First few times carrying around the house to get used to it and practice with staying concealed, she asked 'why are you carrying inside the house' with a hint of disapproval in her voice.

but now, she's realized that I carry just about every day, and pretty much anyplace we go to, even if it's a place with the "no weapons" signs, she's warmed up to it and is much more Ok with it. especially as we hear about more and more cases of mass shootings in public "gun free zones" I played the video of her of the young man who was carrying concealed in the mall in Oregon. He drew, aimed, hesitated because there were innocents behind the shooter, and the next thing that happened, was the shooter took his own life after shooting only 2 or 3 people when he was armed and prepared to shoot a LOT more.

that pretty much sealed the deal and now she's perfectly ok with it.

She even told some friends of ours that I had my permit and carry a lot. The conversation was about the apparent and impending new gun control laws; she said that it was scarey how many people were going out and buying guns who had no business doing so, they were buying ONLY because they might become banned, which is a poor reason to buy a firearm.

She said that she thought I was probably in the 1% of the population who was well trained enough, disciplined enough, and safe enough to carry a firearm every day.

so...now if I can convince her get to the range and try some newer smaller guns to increase her proficiency and comfort around them, maybe I can convince her to get a permit too! (probably won't though. she knows that she's not the type who would do well under pressure, and would likely freeze, and her own weapon may be used against her.)

Old 01-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #38

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
to get back on topic...

my wife has always been uneasy around guns. I attribute it to her lack of experience and understanding. I've taken her out and taught her how to shoot, the safety of weapons, what to do that is and is not safe. She is better, but still VERY uneasy around them. I can never get her to fire off more than about 4 shots before she's like "ok, I'm done, here you go" I think part of that is because she's a VERY small woman, and all of my guns are full sized semi-auto pistols or AR rifles. She hasn't shot my new M4gery but I think that with the collapsable stock and red dot sight, it would be much better suited to fit her. she can't provide a full, strong grip on the handguns, and they are hefty (no polymer guns here!)

I tried to buy her a compact .380 thinking the smaller cartridge wouldn't kick as much, and the smaller frame would be easier for her to handle and grip. However, because of it's small size, the recoil was in my opinion, "snappy" which she did not like.

She was also reluctant and reserved with me getting my CCW permit. First few times carrying around the house to get used to it and practice with staying concealed, she asked 'why are you carrying inside the house' with a hint of disapproval in her voice.

but now, she's realized that I carry just about every day, and pretty much anyplace we go to, even if it's a place with the "no weapons" signs, she's warmed up to it and is much more Ok with it. especially as we hear about more and more cases of mass shootings in public "gun free zones" I played the video of her of the young man who was carrying concealed in the mall in Oregon. He drew, aimed, hesitated because there were innocents behind the shooter, and the next thing that happened, was the shooter took his own life after shooting only 2 or 3 people when he was armed and prepared to shoot a LOT more.

that pretty much sealed the deal and now she's perfectly ok with it.

She even told some friends of ours that I had my permit and carry a lot. The conversation was about the apparent and impending new gun control laws; she said that it was scarey how many people were going out and buying guns who had no business doing so, they were buying ONLY because they might become banned, which is a poor reason to buy a firearm.

She said that she thought I was probably in the 1% of the population who was well trained enough, disciplined enough, and safe enough to carry a firearm every day.

so...now if I can convince her get to the range and try some newer smaller guns to increase her proficiency and comfort around them, maybe I can convince her to get a permit too! (probably won't though. she knows that she's not the type who would do well under pressure, and would likely freeze, and her own weapon may be used against her.)
If it was me, with her being very small, and so reluctant, I would go to 22lr, something that won't scare her and that she feels like she can learn to control and use. After the 22... who knows, she may go for something larger. But if not.... a 22 is a lot better than no gun - or being afraid of guns.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #39

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post

If it was me, with her being very small, and so reluctant, I would go to 22lr, something that won't scare her and that she feels like she can learn to control and use. After the 22... who knows, she may go for something larger. But if not.... a 22 is a lot better than no gun - or being afraid of guns.
Good advice ....

Old 01-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #40

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I don't think my wife thinks about it all that much.
We took out CCW class together, bought her revolver together, and go shooting together when we can. I got her a pocket holster for her J-fram for XMas, but I don't know if she's carried yet. I don't ask. It's her decision to do so or not, but I have an inkling that she wants the option in case she goes out on the back trails alone, or walks on one of the public trails in sketchier areas. She's run into a couple situations where her spider sense started tingling, and hoofed it out of there.
She doesn't seem to mind me carrying, though once or twice she's gone to give me a hug and discovered my handgun holstered under my arm. It was a little offputting for her, I think, but she doesn't complain about it. With all of the stuff on the news lately, I think she knows exactly why I carry. She did say something about being careful and whatnot, but Ipointed out that I haven't carried with a round in the chamber yet, as I haven't had the opportunity to practice returning the gun to Condition Two from Condition One. The last thing I want is to accidentally slip with the hammer and pop one off into my floor. That'd probably be the end of guns in the house.