Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > question about concealed carry and your spouse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 561 Times on 371 Posts

Haha lets hope so

Old 12-22-2012, 11:42 PM   #12

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts

Lol.... Sticky situation ....took mi.e shooting and explained to her why I carry ... Then bought her a TCP .380.... She understands why its important to me that she is safe ... And now its Important to her too...

Old 12-23-2012, 03:15 AM   #13
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1490 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 7363

Can't really help you with this Rurak. My wife is still pizzed that she can't carry at work. Btw, she is a school employee, and yes we have both signed the petition at Whitehouse.gov. We are also considering Texas as a serious option. And yes, I do follow the law, and disarm before going to her workplace. But it is under protest.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 12-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #14

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
Can't really help you with this Rurak. My wife is still pizzed that she can't carry at work. Btw, she is a school employee, and yes we have both signed the petition at Whitehouse.gov. We are also considering Texas as a serious option. And yes, I do follow the law, and disarm before going to her workplace. But it is under protest.
Not sure what state you live in but in ky. You can't carry in schools without permission of a school official. I noticed the other day my youngest child's school has the no weapons allowed sing but my older kids school don't I told my wife when school is back in I'm going to talk to the principal and see if its ok for a cdw holder to carry there or see what there view is on it. Couldn't hurt to ask. I looked on our state police website to see where u can and can't carry and that's where I found out its not totally illegal to carry there.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #15

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I was with my wife before I was 21, I slowly started to bring my guns into the house. It made her feel better when I bought a safe.

Then I turned 21 and purchased a handgun, started to OC as I didn't have my CCDW at the time. THAT made her uncomfortable. However she let me go on my way about it.

Sometimes she gets upset with me if I refuse to go into an establishment, that barrs the carry of my weapon. These days, I will leave it locked in the car in those cases, because I know she will be happier.

Now, my wife has interests in firearms, enjoys going shooting with me, and wants to take her CCDW class. It's taken YEARS to get to this point. Little does she know, I plan on purchasing her a used revolver when I get home, yes, one that SHE picks out.

It's not a fast process at all. When someone grows up in a non firearm home, a fear is created by the unknown. It stirs panic in the uneducated. As they say ignorance is bliss to some people.

I wish anyone the best wishes, luck etc helping your spouse or family member, in guiding them into the light of gun ownership. My wife now has two long guns, and hopefully a revolver. This has come from " you can't bring that gun in the house" " keep the ammo at your dads" , to hey I like that one.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #16

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

I have a female friend who,2 years ago, was deathly afraid of guns. Divorced. From an abusive corrupt cop who beat her and threatened her with his gun. Every man in her life had told her she was a stupid female and incapable of shooting a gun - even though she asked many to take her shooting.

Enter me - have had guns for many years - but was very inactive. Showed her a couple guns. She was afraid to even touch them!
She eventually suggested going shooting - I took her - taught her to shoot. She did great! She is a good shot! Boosted her ego tremendously!
She and I took the ccw class. She had the best groups in the class! Then bought a series of guns. (you know how it is - searching for the perfect gun...
She now owns four guns! A 357 colt Trooper (her first gun), 38 Special S&W Airweight, Ruger LCP 380, and an M&P 22 as a range gun!
I own similar - but go up into 9mm cal also.

When we go places, she wants to know if I am armed - often times she is. She wants to know - feels safer. This from two years ago being terrified of guns.

They can change... If they stay current on the news. And a big one - if they learn to shoot, themselves... and become very comfortable around guns and understand how the guns work - their shortcomings - safeties - fallibility of safeties, trigger pulls - safe ones versus touchy ones.. i.e. learning a lot about different guns and how they work - what is truly safe versus what is popular.

They can change - when they become truly competent - not just a shadow of someone else and someone else's opinions - which may be flawed...

I hope it works out for you - because truthfully - it is nice to have someone with you that also is watching out for the bad guy and is prepared and is capable...

Last edited by Colby; 12-23-2012 at 01:44 PM.
orangello Likes This 
Old 12-26-2012, 01:20 PM   #17

Liked 211 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 15

rurak Sounds like your on the right road talking it thru with your wife. But its not something no one here can really help you with . I was a shooter before my wife was in the picuture. She allways enjoyed shooting buy after 33 years together she out of the clear blue took a cc class and now carries too. BUT never would she have dared to tell me to not cc and I have carried for 26 years. We do not mess with others interest. Personal issues in a famitly are harder to deal with . It my take someone you guys no to get hurt or scared baddly for her to fully come around to you cc'n.

Depending on your states law like her in NC we can not carry in a movie theather. Can't CC where you pay to inter and can't CC where they sell alcohol and most sell beer now. arrggg.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #18

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

My wife was ok with guns in the house when we got married, but didn't really like me to carry. We got a ruger .22 pistol and I always took it camping or outdoors with us just to plink and let her get used to it. Once she got comfortable with that going all over with us, she got more ok with me carrying. Then it turned into "you don't have one in the chamber do you?". I usually replied, " I don't remember" and smiled and left it at that. 6 years later she got herself a revolver. It just takes time sometimes. I think the best thing is just to let her get used to handguns. Good luck.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:05 AM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

My wife is a very gentle person, but she has no illusions about the dangers in this world. She carries 100% of the time and is a pretty good shot.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:00 AM   #20

Liked 561 Times on 371 Posts

Thanks to everyone for their input. My wife likes to shoot, her father is a police officer but never brought his firearm home. Shes uncomfortable with me carrying. I told her with all the shootings lately it could happen anywhere. She says when its your time to go its your time ..... I certainly won't go without a fight!!!! I think she will come around eventually. She does enjoy the range time now so that's progress.