question about concealed carry and your spouse
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > question about concealed carry and your spouse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 561 Times on 371 Posts

So I got into firearms after I got married. My wife likes shooting but she won't carry. We had a night out last night and went to dinner and saw a movie. I had my lc9 in my front pocket in a pocket holster the whole time. She didn't know about it until the movie theater. She told me she wishes I wouldn't carry it. Ive tried explaining why but she doesn't agree I guess. What is everyone elses experience with this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #2

Liked 1807 Times on 1007 Posts
Likes Given: 1179

When I first got my permit my wife wanted me to carry if I was out alone at night. That was the only time she thought I needed to carry. But I slowly started carrying more. She at first didnt like it. But one time a homeless guy came up to us and scared her. She asked if I had my gun. I said yes. She never protested again. Now I always carry except at work. My workplace has an employee ban.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Yea I don't think my wife was too keen on it at first but we have a female friend at church and overheard my wife saying how safe she felt knowing that at least two people that she knew of in church was carrying.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2698 Times on 1409 Posts
Likes Given: 216

This was not a part of "you" when you married. You have changed. She has not. Unfortunately this is the kind of wedge between a couple.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #5

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurak View Post
So I got into firearms after I got married. My wife likes shooting but she won't carry. We had a night out last night and went to dinner and saw a movie. I had my lc9 in my front pocket in a pocket holster the whole time. She didn't know about it until the movie theater. She told me she wishes I wouldn't carry it. Ive tried explaining why but she doesn't agree I guess. What is everyone elses experience with this?
Tell her to pull her big girl panties up & deal with it-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

People Like This 
Old 12-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #6

Thatb will go over like a lead balloon

Old 12-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Thatb will go over like a lead balloon
Mabe YOU need to put the big girl panties on-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

People Like This 
Old 12-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1209 Times on 590 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I got back into shooting a few years ago when we armed our 24 year old daughter who had a stalker issue. She went and got a CCW, an injunction against the dirtball and has not had a problem since.

I used that to get my wife to agree that we should have a gun at home. She was not anti-gun, just not comfortable with them. I got my carry permit and started carrying. There were times she would say things like; "you are carrying here?" I would ask if she could guarantee there would not be a problem here. Since she couldn't she dropped it. Then came Aurora, CO and now she knows what I mean, and often asks if I have a gun with me. Which I do.

Try talking with her about places like Aurora, or Newtown, CT, or VA Tech, or the McDonalds in San Diego many years ago. You don't expect an issue in those places, but those places certainly point out places that might have turned out differently if someone had been armed.

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

Old 12-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #9

We have talked about it. I'm continuing to carry whether she likes it or not

Old 12-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #10

Quote:
We have talked about it. I'm continuing to carry whether she likes it or not
Someday she may thank you in a very "special" way