Question about CCW in Virginia/CCW Setups
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Question about CCW in Virginia/CCW Setups

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Question about CCW in Virginia/CCW Setups

Hey everyone, first off, I'd like to greet everyone a Happy Holidays! Hope everyone is enjoying their time. I do apologize if this was the wrong forum section to post in, I figured I'd make one here since CCW was my main "focus". Anyway I guess I'd like to introduce myself first, I'll try to make this short haha.

My name is Dan, I live in Virginia, I've been in the Army reserve for 2.5 years(trying to go active duty), and I'm 20 years old, will be turning 21 in July. This is the first gun forum I've ever been on, so I'm hoping to learn a lot from everyone here. I had a couple of questions for anyone willing to answer.

1. Do I need to take a class to obtain a permit if I'm in the Army Reserve?

2. I'm looking at options for a good EDC setup, not sure what specific things I should be looking for besides reliability, comfort, concealment, control, capacity, caliber, and of course BUDGET.

3. Any knowledge you would all like to spill on a young blood such as myself, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by oDANo; 12-25-2014 at 10:54 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-25-2014, 11:33 PM   #2
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10970 Times on 4753 Posts
Likes Given: 1803

First of all, welcome to the forum. When you get a moment, drop by the intro section, and say howdy.

To your question- I am also a Virginian. The Virginia State Police has a pretty good Q&A section on Concealed Handgun Licenses (CHLs)

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm#ApplicationforaCon cealedHandgunPermit

Virginia DOES require proof of handgun competency. Military service is ONE of the means that can be used. Having said that, I would still suggest you take the course- it covers a lot more than meeting legal minimums.

Would also point out that you will need to wait until your 21st for the permit.

What part of VA?

As far as daily carry- that is like favorite flavor of ice cream. Expect a lot of different answers. Me? I'm old school- I carry a J framed S&W revolver. It works for me. Your mileage may vary.

However, the important part is to HAVE A GUN WITH YOU. Have seen a lot of folks that buy a BIG HEAVY gun- and it winds up staying at home.

The second most important part is reliability- that gun needs to work- first time, every time. Working 2nd, 3rd, 4th time is also real high on the important list. See that note up there about the revolver?

But I am sure you will get a number of responses to your post.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:48 PM   #3

Thanks for the welcome c3shooter, and yes, I will definitely drop by the intro section. Yeah, I was a bit confused about the "Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services" , since I'm a reservists I'm not at the range a whole lot, so I wasn't sure if just being in the service as a reservist qualifies you as proof of firearm training. With that being said, I will definitely take the course to brush up on some knowledge. Yeah, I'm just trying to get a head start before I hit 21, to learn more and make it easier for me to decide on what to pick up first. I'm in Norfolk, VA how about yourself? I'm really looking for a pistol that has a 10+1 capacity, .9mm-.40 caliber, reliability, and concealment, I'd like something fairly small, comfortable and affordable. I do appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions and welcome me!

Old 12-26-2014, 01:29 AM   #4
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10970 Times on 4753 Posts
Likes Given: 1803

Glad to respond. There will be more folks along presently- slow on Christmas.

I'm West of Richmond- out in the country.

You might be surprised how little some active duty shoots.

.40 is a good round- and with the right ammo, so is a 9mm. You will shoot more 9mm- just the cost of ammo.

I go thru .45, 9mm, 357/ 38, but I reload a lot of what I shoot. But I also shoot oddball stuff now and again- .32 S&W Long wadcutter f'rinstance.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:49 AM   #5

Yeah, it's understandable, bet a lot of people are getting some nice goodies for their guns haha. Yeah, I've seen some pretty bad AD shooters. Based on my criteria for a CCW, any input on it? I've been looking at Beretta Nano, Glock 26, Diamond Back DB9, but I'd really like a pocket rocket with a mag capacity of 10+, I'm having a hard time finding any for around $400 under.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:16 AM   #6

to the top.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:40 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

My criteria for a pocket gun is can I get a good firing grip on it while it is in my pocket and pull it out. If you can't get a good controlling grip on it, not just a two finger tug its not a pocket gun.

The only one I've come across that fits that criteria and has been 100% reliable after months of no cleaning in a pocket coated in lint is the ruger lcp.

I've had one for almost two years now it was cleaned once when I got it. So far no rust no stoppages. In my opinion the lcp is the perfect true pocket gun. I haven't found a brand of 380 it won't eat. I'm convinced enough of its reliability I'm putting it into normal cleaning routine

The bonus is its surprisingly accurate and shootable.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 01-07-2015, 02:43 PM   #8

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I can say avoid Kel Tec. The Ruger is hit and miss but the entire gun market is hit and miss. 40% of all firearms end up going in for warranty service. Pocket pistols have a much higher rate of returns.

I am really considering a Bond 357 derringer. I have shot to many pocket 380's that do not work. I ask the owner about their pocket 380. Their response is always my gun shoots great, never a problem. So I take the gun in the yard and it is a jam o matic. I clean the gun try different ammo, jam o matic. The few 380's that did work are about the size of my Kel Tec P11. I have to say the P11 runs, even with broken parts. But taking the slide off to have bits and pieces fall in my hand is getting old.

Last edited by John_Deer; 01-07-2015 at 02:52 PM.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:24 PM   #9

Liked 363 Times on 232 Posts
Likes Given: 460

I have a Leinad SXS derringer that shoots .45 long colt or .410 shotgun
very inexpensive and very reliable and very ugly but also very cool, fun to shoot and fits in a front pocket nicely. that is the one i would go for first in a SD situation. i have it loaded with Winchester 000 buck shot and Winchester PDX 1 defender which are man stoppers without a doubt. my secondary pistol if needed is the Taurus PT 92 with 2 spare 17 round magazines and one mag in the mag well and a round chambered. just in case the derringer is not enough. these are my primary carry weapons however at times i get to feeling nostalgic so I will trade up and tote my little Iver Johnson Safety Automatic Break Action Revolver chambered for .38 S&W and my 8' barrel .44 cal 1858 Remington New Army clone with 2 spare cylinders chambered for .45 round ball. I use the rubber cap seals and have the tops of the chambers sealed in paraffin to keep out moisture. and sometimes i might decide to carry one or two of my 1911 pistols. then there is the communist block Tokarev which is a fine reliable shooter too which I tote on occasion.

See, in Georgia you don't have to have the lame useless CCL class but it is the responsibility of the license holder to know the laws. there are no restrictions on what type of fire arm you can carry, and carrying multiple firearms is allowed and you are allowed to carry open or concealed. in the state of Georgia i can carry what i want ad however i want. very few places are off limits IOW there is virtually no such thing as a gun free zone in the state of Georgia, even some government buildings allow you to carry. people who live in government housing are allowed to keep their guns in their home provided they can legally own a fire arm.
even public buildings that have the no firearm allowed stickers on the door are not off limits unless you are verbally told to leave the premises you must leave but I don't want to hang out at any store or restaurant that refuses my right to carry my gun any way I am even allowed to carry my side arm in the police station or sheriffs office without being hassled however if asked I am required to present my GCL and it is illegal for a LEO to detain me if I present my license to them Court Houses are strictly off limits and for good reason IMO

Every state is different for example your state requires that you take a lame class that pretty much covers what nearly all gun owners already know and teach you very little concerning the legal side. Your state may require you to indicate what sidearm you carry on your license and may only allow you to only carry one gun and may require that you carry concealed etc. and so on.
in your state there may be a lot of restrictions in place that do not allow you to carry in certain places so you need to go to these websites to learn the laws of your state concerning the unconstitutional laws that govern how and when and where you can carry within your state. it is also your responsibility to know the laws of other states that you may intend to carry in and to know whether or not your carry license is honored in the visiting state. there is a lot of responsibility on a persons shoulders when they decide to carry in order to stay out of jail even if you are licensed to carry.

American Plainsmen Society

Society Of Remington Revolver Shooters (SCORRS)

THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT(SHOTS)
NRA
GOA

Last edited by St8LineGunsmith; 01-07-2015 at 05:29 PM.

Old 07-04-2015, 03:25 AM   #10

Ahhh man, I forgot I even started a thread here! I've been so busy with training and moving that I forgot I'm almost 21 haha. Well back on topic, I apologize for bringing such an old thread up, I didn't want to start another one. As my birthday nears, I'd really like some input on what semi-auto pistols under my criteria would be a good fit. I'd like to go into the shop with some knowledge of what I'd like to try out.