Question about buying a handgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Question about buying a handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 05:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Question about buying a handgun

I was looking to buy my first handgun i got a feel for a few but im only 19 and im needed to be 21 (at least in florida) to purchase one. was just wondering if it were possible to have someone i know like a parent or uncle or somthing buy the gun for me then just transfer it in my name. if i could do this how simple is it to do? i mean is it as simple as signing the title to a car over to someone?
thanks .

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-22-2010, 06:30 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2869 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeandbake View Post
I was looking to buy my first handgun i got a feel for a few but im only 19 and im needed to be 21 (at least in florida) to purchase one. was just wondering if it were possible to have someone i know like a parent or uncle or somthing buy the gun for me then just transfer it in my name. if i could do this how simple is it to do? i mean is it as simple as signing the title to a car over to someone?
thanks .
Word of Warning - We are not lawyers, but we know a "straw" purchase is illegal, and only fools will ask legality questions on the internet.

And what you describe is a straw purchase.

Wait until you are 21 and do things legally.

Don't get discouraged, and by the way, Welcome to the FTF. Please stop by the "Introductions" section.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Last edited by danf_fl; 09-22-2010 at 06:32 AM.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What you are decribing is illegal. As dan said, we are not lawyers but pretty sure buying a firearms for someone who can't buy it for themselves is a felony. If you are 19 you should be able to buy long guns.

I know of no law that says your dad can't buy a handgun and let you shoot it with him.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #4

Young man, a word of caution. What you're asking your Daddy to do will land you both in jail. He can own a handgun and allow you to shoot it. You can shoot it at a range in most states too but you can not own it. If he bought it and transfered it to you he would be guilty of providing someone with a handgun when they could not buy it themself. Just the same as buying a convict a gun. Shoot his all you want. I take my grand childern, ages 4 to 16, shooting with my guns and it's very legal. The 4 year old shoots a pellet gun, the 9 year old shoots a .22 and the 13 & 16 year old shoot the .38 Special. We all have a good time and we obey the law.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2869 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

FL state statutes (FL 790 series) are available on line.

Also, you can get a copy in the package that you would need for concealed carry. You do not need to be 21 to get the package. Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) will also answer and questions.

Do not do anything now that can jeopardize your handgun ownership when you are 21.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-26-2010, 04:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by G37 View Post
Another statute that will be good to know

Section 790.22, Florida Statutes 2007

He can clearly own a pistol, possess a pistol, transport it for legal purposes and use it for legal purposes......
yea after i posted this i went and looked at those i can clearly own a handgun at 19.. thanks

Old 09-27-2010, 01:49 PM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

The way I understand it is this.

blood relitive can gift you a firearm.

You can not however give the money to someone and have them buy a gun for you. That is a straw purchase and illegal.