Question about best concealed gun - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Question about best concealed gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
Hmmm...do I sense a caliber debate coming on...
I hope that I don't add to the caliber debate perception by saying that I prefer the .45.

For the OP, as far as I'm concerned, the larger the caliber the better, but if you can't comfortably carry/fire the large caliber handgun and it sits in your dresser drawer, closet, gun locker, etc, then it is useless.

The best gun is the one you carry, and carry everywhere (legally allowed). While a .22 is considered a bad choice for self defense, a .22 you carry is better than the .45 you don't.

My advise, try out as many guns as you can. Pick the one you like, regardless of caliber. Learn to use it to the best of your ability, and carry it every day.

Also remember, Kentucky has constitutionally protected open carry. There are places in Kentucky where concealed carry is prohibited, but open carry is perfectly legal. Know your state's laws.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #22

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
Hmmm...do I sense a caliber debate coming on...
Nope. At least, not with me as a party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock30Owner
For the OP, as far as I'm concerned, the larger the caliber the better, but if you can't comfortably carry/fire the large caliber handgun and it sits in your dresser drawer, closet, gun locker, etc, then it is useless.
Exactly. My point was to not immediately jump for the tiniest and likely weakest gun you can carry, but neither should one jump for the most powerful cartridge available just for that reason, without the ability to efficiently handle it.

Last edited by Lindenwood; 01-12-2010 at 02:59 PM.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:59 PM   #23

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

To the OP: As you can see from this thread, there is no "one size fits all" answer to the question of the most appropriate self defense handgun. The arguments made here are well thought-out, and choosing the right handgun can become a complex decision.

For starters, pick a quality brand known for reliability, and as your knowledge base and skills increase, you may find (as your budget permits) it appropriate to move up in caliber, or physical size, or quality. There's certainly nothing wrong with owning two or more handguns with varying characteristics. Get some good training emphasizing safety and have some fun!

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 01-13-2010, 01:55 PM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugger49 View Post
There's certainly nothing wrong with owning two or more handguns with varying characteristics.
That is true. However, I have to counters to that (obviously, just my opinion):

1) Spending $300-$500 more for a second firearm means $300-$500 worth of ammo that did not get put into practicing with the original! For me, even shopping at Walmart for ammo (i.e. not getting cheap cases online), that's like 1300 rounds I could send downrange. Or, like 500 or 800 rounds down range, plus a few training DVDs!

2) When the chips are down, I'd much rather have a large pistol with more capacity, accuracy, and control then some tiny pistol that jumps in my hands and holds half the ammo. In "normal" defensive shoots, yeah only a few rounds will be expended. But if I ever need more, I'd be glad I had it.

Granted, if all you have is a 1911 and know you won't carry it regularly enough to make a difference, then you will obviously have to get a second, smaller pistol (remember, Rule #1 to winning a gunfight...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugger49 View Post
Get some good training emphasizing safety and have some fun!
Yup!

Old 01-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #25

A Keltech will fit the bill of what you are looking for.

I don't know your financial background, but you do seem to be limiting yourself quite a bit on what you can buy with that small of an amount. After all, you are going to be trusting your life to whatever you buy, so make sure it is the best you can afford.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:19 PM   #26

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Almost three weeks and counting.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #27

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Paging Matt Williams....................Bueller?....Bueller?

Last activity for him (OP) was 12/28/09 on this forum. I am always leery when someone says "Thanks in Advance" at the end of their post. All of his three posts, have to do with a damn .22.

Does he really care?

And no Introduction post.

I am just saying........

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 01-13-2010, 07:25 PM   #28

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I post just as much for him as I do for anyone else with the same question.

BTw, in my last post, that is speaking only from the most practical perspective. If one wants more pistols just because, then that's perfectly fine too.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #29

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
I post just as much for him as I do for anyone else with the same question.
Indeed, I have noticed that.

I have also noticed no Introduction post from you either, sir.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Tags
concealed weapons advice