Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Public education on OC and CCW (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/public-education-oc-ccw-72588/)

ffrandy 09-17-2012 04:46 AM

Public education on OC and CCW

Anyone have any ideas on how to educate people about concealed and open carry. If more knew maybe they would join the ranks. There is strength in numbers.

Kronous 09-17-2012 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffrandy
Anyone have any ideas on how to educate people about concealed and open carry. If more knew maybe they would join the ranks. There is strength in numbers.

Gotta get past the Mickey Mouse Media!!! Until we are able to get unbiased reporting, or at least equal time, guns will be reported as "evil".

partdeux 09-17-2012 07:58 AM

Michigan open carry group http://miopencarry.org/ have done a remarkable job advancing the cause in MI.

The first group you have to get past are the LEO, and we're still struggling with that. Media will tend to be swayed by public perception.

It's not easy, it takes some hard core early adopters, but it can be done.

levelcross 09-17-2012 02:21 PM

We are the first point of contact or education about how guns can and do save lives. We have to be willing to teach and or educate others about guns and gun safety.

A group of friends all went together to get our CCW permits which was great, one of the girls really is not comfortable around guns at all. She reacts badly when ever she sees one out of a holster, she will go shooting with us at the range only never out behind her house which is perfect to shoot at.

Others have made comments about the need for more gun control and I asked why they felt this way and was willing to discuss it at length. Be willing to take new people out to the range and shoot .22's to show then how much fun it can be. In general just be willing to teach them and not beat them over the head with it.

locutus 09-17-2012 02:49 PM

The best education comes from the grassroots.

Make sure your children, and extended family, your friends and neighbors have all of the facts.

Avoid the "deep dark conspiracy" theories, and rumors.. give your kids statistics. Hard numbers, with credible sources can't be refuted.

We win (or lose) the education battle on hard facts, not on emotion and fear tactics.

Teach your kids how to argue with "here are the numbers" rather than with "I believe."

TDS92A 09-17-2012 03:24 PM

This is spot on advice.

It is going to be a long row to hoe to get this field plowed, but we weapons owners do just this, we will be able to get the message across. It has worked for me on several occasions.;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus (Post 944296)
The best education comes from the grassroots.

Make sure your children, and extended family, your friends and neighbors have all of the facts.

Avoid the "deep dark conspiracy" theories, and rumors.. give your kids statistics. Hard numbers, with credible sources can't be refuted.

We win (or lose) the education battle on hard facts, not on emotion and fear tactics.

Teach your kids how to argue with "here are the numbers" rather than with "I believe."

Old_Crow 09-17-2012 04:27 PM

Educating people who are anti-gun is like whipping a dead horse. Their mind is made up. They have this view of utopia were nothing evil ever happens. Disarming you is the first step to this utopia. Then we are going to lock up all the drug users. Anything evil will be destroyed all around the world. Soon we will be back to adam and eve there will be utopia.

locutus 09-17-2012 05:23 PM

Not so. I've personally converted quite a number of anti-gun folks.

Remember, you don't need to get them all the way to pro-gun, you just need to get them to neutral. It doesn't matter if they don't become our friends, as long as they're no longer our enemies.

TDS92A 09-17-2012 06:38 PM

Their mind will no longer be "made up" when they, a family member, or friend becomes a victim. So one has to plant the seed in their mind so that when their "utopia" comes crashing down, they will have an idea of what to do.

I find that in order to educate an "Anti-Gun Person", one has to listen to their side of the story. I often find their reason for being "Anti-Gun" is because of what they were told by another "Anti-Gun Person". You listen to their argument, debunk it with proper evidence, and if possible, take them out to a range and then let them make their own decision. It works more often than not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old_Crow (Post 944409)
Educating people who are anti-gun is like whipping a dead horse. Their mind is made up. They have this view of utopia were nothing evil ever happens. Disarming you is the first step to this utopia. Then we are going to lock up all the drug users. Anything evil will be destroyed all around the world. Soon we will be back to adam and eve there will be utopia.

Old_Crow 09-17-2012 06:52 PM

Luckily I live in an area were there aren't many people who are anti-gun. The few people that are anti-gun aren't very vocal. It's hard to make an argument that someone doesn't need a gun when it takes 45 minutes for the local sheriffs dept. to respond. Sadly, I am not equipped to deal with people who live in urban areas and their viewpoints. My only problem with them is they want to tell me how to run my life when they couldn't survive here for over 5 years. Most of them would let nature so close to their homes that coyotes would carry off their pets and small children. If we have a forest fire they would need the national guard to rescue them. Screw that I am happy being self sufficient.