Protection for self defense liabilities
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Protection for self defense liabilities

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 11:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Protection for self defense liabilities

The United States Concealed Carry Association (USCCA) is offering a self defense shield benefit to its membership that will cover legal expenses should you have to defend yourself in court for a self defense shooting etc.
I'm new to CCW and would like to hear comments from more experianced members of this forum about this type of benefit. Is it a good or bad idea?

Thanks in Advanced

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-16-2011, 01:01 AM   #2

Liked 2545 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 1976

Have you ever had to mortally defend yourself with a knife, tire iron, or a

baseball bat? Me neither. So, even though I carry, I doubt I'll ever have to

mortally defend myself with a gun.

IF your state has Castle Doctrine, you are already

protected by the law, as far as that goes, given you

know the law, and seek only to protect your life.

If not, you may want to consider some method of

protecting yourself legally, in the unlikely event the worst

happens.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:17 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

unfortunately being legally in the right doesnt stop the rest of the goblins to whom the deceased goblin is related to from suing. even them having zero chance of winning costs you massive money and time....

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-16-2011, 01:50 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Some outfit in the Pacific Northwest was talking about that too. Can't remember who right now... I think it's a worthwhile idea. A criminal defense can easily exceed $100,000 and the sky's the limit. "Better tried by twelve than carried by six" might ring a little hollow while you're being gang raped in a prison shower because you couldn't afford competent council.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:53 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9146 Times on 3949 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

If you have homeowner's/ car insurance/ renter's insurance, you probably have an insurance agent. Talk w/ your agent about a personal liability "Umbrella" policy. Nice thing about insurance- THEY provide you with legal defense for CIVIL suits.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1216 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
If you have homeowner's/ car insurance/ renter's insurance, you probably have an insurance agent. Talk w/ your agent about a personal liability "Umbrella" policy. Nice thing about insurance- THEY provide you with legal defense for CIVIL suits.
I invested in one of these when I had a pool in the backyard. Less than $300 to the total insurance bill annually. Everyone with any assets should have an "umbrella".

Old 07-17-2011, 01:39 AM   #7
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Good advice right there, my insurance agent sold me on it. An affordable peice of mind if you include it with the other insurances most of us have.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.