Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Protection for self defense liabilities (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/protection-self-defense-liabilities-45261/)

Al1195 07-15-2011 11:14 PM

Protection for self defense liabilities

The United States Concealed Carry Association (USCCA) is offering a self defense shield benefit to its membership that will cover legal expenses should you have to defend yourself in court for a self defense shooting etc.
I'm new to CCW and would like to hear comments from more experianced members of this forum about this type of benefit. Is it a good or bad idea?

Thanks in Advanced

therewolf 07-16-2011 01:01 AM

Have you ever had to mortally defend yourself with a knife, tire iron, or a

baseball bat? Me neither. So, even though I carry, I doubt I'll ever have to

mortally defend myself with a gun.

IF your state has Castle Doctrine, you are already

protected by the law, as far as that goes, given you

know the law, and seek only to protect your life.

If not, you may want to consider some method of

protecting yourself legally, in the unlikely event the worst

happens.

JonM 07-16-2011 01:17 AM

unfortunately being legally in the right doesnt stop the rest of the goblins to whom the deceased goblin is related to from suing. even them having zero chance of winning costs you massive money and time.... :(

freefall 07-16-2011 01:50 AM

Some outfit in the Pacific Northwest was talking about that too. Can't remember who right now... I think it's a worthwhile idea. A criminal defense can easily exceed $100,000 and the sky's the limit. "Better tried by twelve than carried by six" might ring a little hollow while you're being gang raped in a prison shower because you couldn't afford competent council.

c3shooter 07-16-2011 02:53 AM

If you have homeowner's/ car insurance/ renter's insurance, you probably have an insurance agent. Talk w/ your agent about a personal liability "Umbrella" policy. Nice thing about insurance- THEY provide you with legal defense for CIVIL suits.

Gatoragn 07-16-2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 542557)
If you have homeowner's/ car insurance/ renter's insurance, you probably have an insurance agent. Talk w/ your agent about a personal liability "Umbrella" policy. Nice thing about insurance- THEY provide you with legal defense for CIVIL suits.

I invested in one of these when I had a pool in the backyard. Less than $300 to the total insurance bill annually. Everyone with any assets should have an "umbrella".

WDB 07-17-2011 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 542557)

Good advice right there, my insurance agent sold me on it. An affordable peice of mind if you include it with the other insurances most of us have.