Pros vs cons... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Pros vs cons...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 08:07 AM   #11
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2866 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Youtube Israeli carry techniques.

They do not normally put one in the chamber, but are taught to rack the slide on presentation.

Does that make it correct? Well, everyone has an opinion.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #12

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
Youtube Israeli carry techniques.

They do not normally put one in the chamber, but are taught to rack the slide on presentation.

Does that make it correct? Well, everyone has an opinion.
But Israelis are pretty good at training. If you can train with their conviction and get the time it takes to draw and rack one then i guess that what you do. But if you want to use Israeli tactics you better train as hard as they do.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #13
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1319 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 606

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcowboy94 View Post
But Israelis are pretty good at training. If you can train with their conviction and get the time it takes to draw and rack one then i guess that what you do. But if you want to use Israeli tactics you better train as hard as they do.

Americans are waaaaay too lazy to train like even the average Israeli citizen, much less one of their military. Israeli military also train in force-on-force hand-to-hand combat and have dozens of techniques to handle an attacker and buy them the quarter-of-a-second they need to draw and rack the slide. Be VERY honest with yourself and ask if you are willing to commit to a DAILY training regimen to be that good at carrying an unloaded gun. How long since you had drawing practice? How's your Aikido training going? How about disassembling and reassembling your firearm...blindfolded? How many hours of TV do you watch a week?

There is a commitment to doing anything, and adding difficulty to getting a gun into the fight to save your life is not something most Americans can handle. To keep applying Israeli techniques to the average American is audacious and laughable. We are not capable of this commitment - we might miss an episode of "Dancing with the Stars."

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 07-07-2013 at 09:07 AM.
People Like This 
Old 07-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 411 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Quote:
If you are going to carry a gun. And not have a round in the chamber, then you mite as well carry a stick. You will not have time to chamber a round when seconds count. I carry in condition one or zero. Depending on my gun.
Not correct it takes a second to put a round in the chamber so to say that you may as well carry a stick is just wrong. If you have no ammo to put in it then you may as well have a stick. Carry whatever way you are comfortable with and don't let other people tell you what way to carry.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #15
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Before you choose to carry without a round in the chamber I suggest a simple exercise.
Go to the range and set a target out at 21'.
Draw a line 21' behind your shooting position.
Have your buddy stand beside you with your gun holstered as you carry it.
Your buddy yells "Go" and runs for the line behind you. You draw your sidearm and fire at the target.
If your buddy makes it to the line before there is a hole in the target, you're dead. If you miss the target, you're dead.
I'll bet you'll find that you die an awful lot especially if you don't have a round chambered.
But as was stated it is your choice, if you're comfortable with being dead carry however you want.

I don't need No stinking signature.

People Like This 
Old 07-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #16

Liked 380 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Nice weather we're having.
People Like This 
Old 07-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #17

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn
Agreed, glad the rain finally stopped here!

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #18
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6129 Times on 3035 Posts
Likes Given: 6509

You must know your tools well, just having them does little to protect anyone. Soldiers that are trained to carry live ammo ready to rock screw up often and we train to do it right every-time. I cant tell you how many times I heard M16's going off errantly (Soldiers doing stupid things with the trigger), luckily we trained with blanks!

If you dont train and prepare your mind for CCW, your not going to do anything but make things worse at times when worse can be deadly. Capabilities= Safety is primary, threat assessment response is second. Failure to prepare = nearly guarantee failure to survive your attempt to effect an outcome in a pinch.

Ive run many live fire ranges in my career, the only injuries ever on any of them were burns from hot 50 cal barrels. I even screwed up on one firing the new pistols because I wasnt familiar at all with the piece. Not dangerously, just stupidly and some embarrassment (Entire upper group slid off the weapon while I was reloading, Im a lefty and the release was under my natural grip!!!).

I love the fact that so many folks young and older are taking a renewed interest in firearms, seems like decades since they were common to so many people. My biggest fear is that the constant drumming in of the rules and handling procedures that me and my friends received as youts isnt happening anymore. The day I was old enough to know what a gun was, I knew what the do's and dont's were. I heard it at home, at my neighbors, at my friends and even in school; the NRA didnt need to train us, we were surrounded by safe knowledgeable hunters.

Odly enough, Self Defense wasnt a big part of our training, that summed up in a simple phrase, "Dont ever point it at anything your not ready to kill"...

Old 07-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #19

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Boy , this tread went all to heck.

hey 308win. Maybe you should start with a revolver and a empty chamber under the hammer for CC and slooowly at your pleasure learn about built in safety designs used by different companies and pick how you wish to carry. If you deside to carry with an empty chamber then practice racking the slide one handed.

I have 26 years of CC and 46 years of handgun hunting . I started cc'n with a snubby and now carry a stricker fired DA trigged pistol with no extra external safeties. It can not go bang unless I make a full pull on the trigger. Others prefer a 1911 cocked and locked. I will not carry a 1991 period for PD. My choice. Now you can make yours and expect some things to change with time.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #20
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7090 Times on 4267 Posts
Likes Given: 8591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Donn, you're awesome. Actually, it's a bit hot and humid here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Boy , this tread went all to heck.

hey 308win. Maybe you should start with a revolver and a empty chamber under the hammer for CC and slooowly at your pleasure learn about built in safety designs used by different companies and pick how you wish to carry. If you deside to carry with an empty chamber then practice racking the slide one handed.

I have 26 years of CC and 46 years of handgun hunting . I started cc'n with a snubby and now carry a stricker fired DA trigged pistol with no extra external safeties. It can not go bang unless I make a full pull on the trigger. Others prefer a 1911 cocked and locked. I will not carry a 1991 period for PD. My choice. Now you can make yours and expect some things to change with time.
This is it. We do what is comfortable for us. Then we grow and learn and make some adjustments. Four years ago, I couldn't even stand to hear the word "gun" I was so anti-gun. Now I own 5 firearms, I admire them, shooting them gives me incredible pleasure. It's all a learning, growing process. No one is right or wrong. I am often saying, "I'm just not there yet" and that's the truth. I'm forever learning and evolving. I'll "get there" as I get more comfortable and learn more.

Instead of ridiculing or spending so much time telling others how wrong they are, we should be encouraging, educating and supporting each other so we all grow and learn. And what's right for one may make someone else uncomfortable. We all have our own set of boundaries. And you know what.............IT'S OKAY!!

Last edited by winds-of-change; 07-07-2013 at 01:05 PM.
People Like This