Pros vs cons...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Pros vs cons...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 01:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

Default Pros vs cons...

Of carrying a concealed weapon with one in the chamber?
And what about a safety? What do you think about having a safety at all, not keeping one in the chamber without a safety?
Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-07-2013, 02:08 AM   #2

Liked 55 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 173

This is just my opinion.... no offense is meant to anyone.

For years I wouldn't have a pistol without an exposed hammer and a manual safety. Then one day I realized (maybe I read it somewhere) that my revolvers don't have a safety.

If you follow the basic rules of safe gun handling, carrying with no safety and one in the chamber should be a safe way to carry.

If you do not follow the basic rules of gun safety, no amount of "mechanical" safeties will keep you from doing something... dangerous. YMMV

Sorry, after re-reading the OP and my response, I realized I didn't answer the OP's question.

If I need my firearm in a "self-defense" or "emergency" situation, the chances are I won't have time to chamber a round.

The Pros of carrying one in the chamber is speed and response. I don't see any cons, if you practice safe gun handling.

RJ

Last edited by RevJammer; 07-07-2013 at 02:10 AM.
People Like This 
Old 07-07-2013, 02:12 AM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8283 Times on 4787 Posts
Likes Given: 10716

The only fail-safe safety is your brain connected to your index finger. Carry one chambered. Use a holster that protects the trigger.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 07-07-2013, 02:12 AM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 518 Times on 316 Posts

If you are going to carry a gun. And not have a round in the chamber, then you mite as well carry a stick. You will not have time to chamber a round when seconds count. I carry in condition one or zero. Depending on my gun.

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

People Like This 
Old 07-07-2013, 03:00 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

One in the chamber. No safety except for the long double action pull. My carry guns have a hammer block safety. The trigger has to be completely pulled to the rear before the hammer can strike the firing pin.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:15 AM   #6

Liked 329 Times on 182 Posts

One in the pipe, for me, ALWAYS. Sometimes it's cocked and locked and other times it's a Glock or Steyr. Doesn't matter to me which, I follow one rule, the gun must be ready to use. You're not supposed to pull it unless life is in danger so following that it's a no-brainer, the gun is ready to use. Whom is to say if you'll have time to rack it or even have the use of both hands. I'm not chancing it. In IDPA you draw from a holster and engage targets. There is no, 'excuse me, if you could just give me a minute to prepare my firearm'. It's draw and go. If you don't feel comfortable doing that then start shooting IDPA. Start wearing the gun around your house, in ready condition. Get comfortable carrying a loaded gun. It will happen. You'll be better for it.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:17 AM   #7
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1324 Times on 693 Posts
Likes Given: 608

While sitting around watching TV, at least twice a week, unload your gun and practice drawing from cover (Yes, wear your gun cover!), finger off the trigger, then go to shooting (move finger to trigger) half the time. That means safety off, fire, safety on, reholster. Pick an event on TV that is a shoot or no shoot event: replay of the last game play, shoot! Kid in the commercial, don't shoot! then draw until your hand goes numb or one of your fingers bleeds. Be honest if you trip the trigger while drawing - that was an ND that your training caused you to avoid. Make sure the trigger isn't contacted anywhere in the draw stroke.

Three months of this will have your muscle memory so conditioned and so familiar with your self defense tool that you might decide that safeties are best left to your brain. If not, you'll be able to engage and disengage them without thinking.

Also remember, slow is smooth. smooth is fast. Don't try for speed right out of the gate. Just be very smooth and speed will come. Also incorporate a reload or tap/rack/bang drill every fifth or sixth draw. You will be amazed how fast you will do it without thinking!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

towboater Likes This 
Old 07-07-2013, 05:22 AM   #8

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy36
One in the pipe, for me, ALWAYS. Sometimes it's cocked and locked and other times it's a Glock or Steyr. Doesn't matter to me which, I follow one rule, the gun must be ready to use. You're not supposed to pull it unless life is in danger so following that it's a no-brainer, the gun is ready to use. Whom is to say if you'll have time to rack it or even have the use of both hands. I'm not chancing it. In IDPA you draw from a holster and engage targets. There is no, 'excuse me, if you could just give me a minute to prepare my firearm'. It's draw and go. If you don't feel comfortable doing that then start shooting IDPA. Start wearing the gun around your house, in ready condition. Get comfortable carrying a loaded gun. It will happen. You'll be better for it.
I'm not sure what "IDPA" means

Old 07-07-2013, 05:26 AM   #9
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7139 Times on 4297 Posts
Likes Given: 8669

Here is another thread discussing something very similar.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/why-carry-without-bullet-chamber-93169/

Old 07-07-2013, 05:28 AM   #10

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308Wins View Post
I'm not sure what "IDPA" means
http://www.idpa.com/

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson