Prohibited places for licensed concealed carriers - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Prohibited places for licensed concealed carriers

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Liked 76 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 15

"Dammit this getting tiresome. It has been beaten to death on this forum several times and nothing is ever resolved. The opinions are mostly irrelevant. Law trumps opinion."

It got tiresome several pages back, when the flames erupted, BOTTOM LINE FOR ME: I will obey the law. I will not risk losing my license (I don't like the term "permit") to carry concealed. I will respect the rights of businesses to stipulate that weapons aren't allowed on the premises. I will not patronize those businesses.

Years ago, when Kentucky finally became a shall-issue state, the Louisville newspaper freaked: innocent blood will flow in the streets, et frickin' cetera. About a year later they did a follow-up study and found that people with the license were LESS likely than the general population to be arrested for ANY reason, not just gun-related offenses. Showed that we're pretty law-abiding folks. If some of you choose to ignore the law you can do so. I value our reputation as solid citizens and the fact that it's a good argument against attacks on the Second Amendment. I also treasure the First Amendment, so you can say what you like; but I have no interest in flamethrower exchanges.

"Don't let macho be your epitaph."
---Ed Lovette

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #62
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 253 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by emo
I agree with axxe. The issue is a difference of opinion on what is public. To me, public is property owned by the town or state. If an individual pays taxes on property, it is private property even if they choose to allow the public to access. They can set their own rules for that property. For example, different restaurants may have different dress codes. Violating their rules may not be against the law, they will just ask you to leave, but if you then refuse, you can be arrested for disturbing the peace. I believe, as axxe has suggested, that it is just easier to avoid the whole issue and not give my business to those that post a no gun policy. Now if I could just get my LGS to carry all the food, clothes, etc that I need, it would simplify my life.
Your opinion is irrelevant as to the definition of "public". Where I've seen it interpreted is while I was sitting on a jury. Basically, if you are open for business whether a retail establishment or a business office, if any person can walk in off the street to do business, then it is "public".

May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #63

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Best thing to do is obey the law and the shop owner. If they don't want you and your firearm in there, leave and spend your money somewhere else. Longhorns can now kiss my ass too.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #64
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 253 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 88

H-m-m: my wife and I patronize Longhorn Steakhouse frequently and have never had a problem or seen a sign.

May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #65
emo
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 274 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Here's CT's statute on this. Might be different in other states but at least in CT seems a store owner has the right to say no guns allowed.

29-28 (e) The issuance of any permit to carry a pistol or revolver does not thereby authorize the possession or carrying of a pistol or revolver in any premises where the possession or carrying of a pistol or revolver is otherwise prohibited by law or is prohibited by the person who owns or exercises control over such premises.

Real dogs drool!

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #66

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugger49

This depends on the state. In many states, it is perfectly legal to carry onto the airport premises as long as you remain in the non-sterile area.

Too many "truisms" seem to be floating around in discussions like these, when in actuality you must be familiar with the laws applicable to the state in which you carry - and that's not a particularly easy task, considering the fact that carry provisions change from year to year after legislative sessions, and they can be wrapped up in "legalese" that make them very difficult to interpret.
That's makes sense. Is airport federal property?

Old 02-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #67

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emo
I agree with axxe. The issue is a difference of opinion on what is public. To me, public is property owned by the town or state. If an individual pays taxes on property, it is private property even if they choose to allow the public to access. They can set their own rules for that property. For example, different restaurants may have different dress codes. Violating their rules may not be against the law, they will just ask you to leave, but if you then refuse, you can be arrested for disturbing the peace. I believe, as axxe has suggested, that it is just easier to avoid the whole issue and not give my business to those that post a no gun policy. Now if I could just get my LGS to carry all the food, clothes, etc that I need, it would simplify my life.
Good point, but I still wouldn't let it keep me from carrying those places.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:29 AM   #68

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBender View Post
That's makes sense. Is airport federal property?
Generally no.... obviously military bases, even those used jointly with civilian facilities are considered federal property, but for the most part airports are either privately owned or controlled by county/city ordinances.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 02-23-2013, 03:29 AM   #69

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

In Alabama you can carry almost anywhere.

Restricted sights being.
government buildings
public schools
Bars
Airports

Old 02-23-2013, 06:23 AM   #70
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 919 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Nebraska it is against the law to have any firearm on a snowmobile. Any gun, open carry, concealed, boxed, broken down, nada.

Game and Parks does not want hunting with snowmobiles.

Closed Thread