Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Printing problems (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/printing-problems-60217/)

lucky510 03-14-2012 12:39 PM

Printing problems

Carry both a full frame Taurus 9mm and a kahr cw40 both in a Glaco iwb summer comfort holster.. Usually around the 4-5o clock position, seems no matter where I move my gun or what I wear it always seems to print out, any advice here I know a few guys that have te same set up but they don't seem to have problems could it maybe be cuz I'm a little bigger of a fella?

mountainman13 03-14-2012 12:54 PM

I don't want to sound like an a@#hole but that's probably the issue. I assume you have tried different outfits and layers. You may want to try different carry setups.

levelcross 03-14-2012 01:42 PM

Have you tried different positions like 3:00? Also patterned shirts help hide the printing some, solid colors will show more. Keep trying different things. I am not a skinny guy either and can pull off carrying a full size .40 in a hybrid holster with the right shirts.

treehugger49 03-14-2012 01:46 PM

How a given gun/holster set up works is a very individual issue - what works for some doesn't for others, depending on each individual's body physiology.

Here is what has worked for me, and maybe you can find something that will help.

(1) Use a good, stiff gun belt.

(2) Try several carry positions (3 o'clock, 4 o'clock, etc.) and cant settings. Forward cant seems to work for me.

(3) If you tuck your shirt over the IWB holster, as I do, "blouse" your shirt back over your belt in the gun area to create some space. BTW, shirts with patterns don't print nearly as badly as solid colors.

Bottom line, it's almost impossible to completely eliminate printing. Your awareness of carrying probably makes you much more sensitive to how you are presenting yourself, and the people around you most likely aren't noticing much, if anything, particularly considering all the contraptions people carry on their belts these days.

My setup includes an XD-40 4" service pistol in a CrossBreed SuperTuck Deluxe IWB holster on a Beltman gunbelt.

lucky510 03-14-2012 02:26 PM

Thanks guys I'll have to try a few different things, it's always the butt of the gun that pokes out away from my body, especially when I sit or bend over.. To be honest most of the time I could care less if people can see my gun, I live in Louisiana and its not all that uncommon, but there are times it would be nice to have it completely concealed

gollygee 03-14-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky510 (Post 740011)
Thanks guys I'll have to try a few different things, it's always the butt of the gun that pokes out away from my body, especially when I sit or bend over.. To be honest most of the time I could care less if people can see my gun, I live in Louisiana and its not all that uncommon, but there are times it would be nice to have it completely concealed

What is the angle of the grips in relation to your side? I carry cross-draw & my belt slopes downward in front. :o I've found that if I use a holster designed for cross draw with the normal cant, the grip is actually parallel with the floor & subsequently, sticks outward away from my body, causing a bit of a bulge in my cover garment. I found that by using a standard right hand holster with a 15 & no more than 20 degree cant, the pistol actually ends up in a straight up position & the natural angle of grip to slide, makes the grips angle upwards along my side. This results in it hugging my side better & no more bulge! If you are carrying strong side, maybe a holster with more cant could be the answer.