Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > 'Printing' etiquette

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2008, 03:36 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I did see him as kind of a threat, pointed him out to the better half as a safety measure, but we agree he was probably LEO. Seems keeping quiet and staying alert is the best bet 90% of the time.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:19 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeddes View Post
I did see him as kind of a threat, pointed him out to the better half as a safety measure, but we agree he was probably LEO. Seems keeping quiet and staying alert is the best bet 90% of the time.
This is probably the best course of action.

If his gun appeared to be fully exposed accidentally, such as the post on here about the jacket caught on the gun, I would probably politely & quietly bring it to his attention, "Sir, your jacket is caught on you gun." This of course depends on the circumstances. If that same guy walked into my local convienence store I would be headed for the door to observe from outside and make sure it wasn't some robber wanting easy access to his piece.

If the you are just noticing the gun printing through clothing then ignore it after making note in your mind. Under certain circumstances this might also prompt the above described speedy retreat. Remember, the best confrontation is the one you avoid. If you are comfortable with the situation, and can quietly and unassumingly observe, it might be fun to try and see how many sheeple are walking around that never pickup on the gun.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Last edited by Bighead; 12-08-2008 at 02:21 PM.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:39 PM   #13

Default Printing

Here in GA it is not against the law for your gun to be printing. You can actually carry open here as long as you have a firearms permit. Can't carry at all without one....Printing is something I have been working on, as I am new to concealed carry myself. I am thinking of trying to buy a bigger size in the waist of my pants, so I can carry inside the waist. I have thought about carrying with a shoulder holster too. Any suggestions on brands of holsters that might work out?

JAM

Old 12-11-2008, 10:38 PM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

In the final analysis, my card doesn't say "Partially-concealed". You can either ignore the situation, or call the cops.
I'd mention to the guy that his weapon is showing, and that the cops are watching him.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:03 AM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
In the final analysis, my card doesn't say "Partially-concealed". You can either ignore the situation, or call the cops.
I'd mention to the guy that his weapon is showing, and that the cops are watching him.
He'd probably check his zipper...

Old 12-12-2008, 04:05 PM   #16

Liked 240 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 20

As long as the gun is not visible, its concealed. Holster showing, outline showing, its possibly one of those cell phones or Blueberries the yuppies carry nowadays.

And, the Supreme Court has ruled, the police must see the gun, not another's accusation. The accusation of a third party does not constitute "probable cause."

My stance? Keep your mouth shut.

Bob Wright

Old 12-30-2008, 05:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
I would hope that the police dispatcher you spoke with in VA would inform you that neither printing nor open carry are illegal in VA.

Granted, if you were in Norfolk, the SWAT team would come out and harrass everyone legally carring.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:58 AM   #18
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
As long as the gun is not visible, its concealed. Holster showing, outline showing, its possibly one of those cell phones or Blueberries the yuppies carry nowadays.

And, the Supreme Court has ruled, the police must see the gun, not another's accusation. The accusation of a third party does not constitute "probable cause."

My stance? Keep your mouth shut.
Bob Wright
I totally agree!

Old 02-01-2009, 03:22 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
Texas is a little weird about concealed handguns,and has a zero tollerance for gun printing.

we have open carry here in mn.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:05 AM   #20
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

"Printing" could be a bulge in a jacket or a little leather sticking out the bottom of a shirt. It seems obsure and subjective at best. I'm not a lawyer (or ever played one on TV) but consealed premit/license means you can carry a firearm that isn't openly visible. The suggestion based on a bulge under a jacket or shirt that there might be a firearm seems simple. All the same took some time to understand the thought of "printing" and only found that gives LEO the right to ask if you are carrying a concealed firearm and didn't find any state that has a law that requires a person who has a premit/license to carry a concealed firearm to make it undectetable to a point that it's not noticed by the best of eyes. All I learned that in all states the consealed description is a firearm that is not easily seen/in view.

So to your question if the person had a carry issues that you spotted, it is none of your business. I expect it works well for the firearm he likes to pack and might not be how you would carry but it's is how he does. If you think he's a threat call LEO but stay there and take the heat if you call 911 on a person who has the right to carry. If he's legal you owe him an explaination. Might not be "suited up" as you would like him to be but I expect he has his reasons.