Is printing that big a deal in open carry states

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Is printing that big a deal in open carry states

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Is printing that big a deal in open carry states

I often wondered if printing is a big deal in open carry states? Seems that if you bent over and exposed your weapon, why is it different than just tucking your shirt in and in effect going from concealed to open, depending on your shirt being tucked or not. So is printing such a faux pae? I actually asked my ccw instructor and just couldn't get a straight answer, he barely covered printing at all....... any thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #2

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

From my understanding it all comes down to the laws in your area. In my opinion, if you're printing you may want in rethink your concealment garment or carry method. The way I see it is if you are printing then you are obviously trying to conceal your firearm and of a part of the gun shows it could be seen as "brandishing" to the uneducated. It seems to be a grey area for many, including myself as I can't find anything in regards to it specifically. I just play it safe. If I'm carrying concealed then I make darn sure it's concealed.

ThinkFast...your life depends on it.

www.thinkfastholsters.com
www.facebook.com/thinkfastholsters
Instagram @thinkfastholsters

Old 03-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 871 Times on 526 Posts
Likes Given: 193

In MI, it's no big deal. In fact, most of the time I carry on an external holster with a shirt pulled over it. Very few people ever notice.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #4

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

I'm not sure what the actual law in that regard is here in WI, I would think it shouldn't matter since open carry is legal, but a friend of mine who took a CC class said the instructor said that you either have to open carry or conceal carry no in between, so if I wore a exposed holster with a long winter coat overhanging it and the end of the gun was exposed beneath the coat that is apparently illegal as per that instructor, I really don't see what the big deal is I think those sorts of rules only further the mindset of the ignorant handgun fearing people, "oh my god that man over there has a gun!"

Old 03-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

From what ive been told here in PA open carry is 100% legal UNTIL you get your CCW permit. At that point you can no longer open carry. I really havnt researched this due to me not living in a great neighborhood so i really dont want neone to know im carrying anything.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #6

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombihunter804 View Post
The way I see it is if you are printing then you are obviously trying to conceal your firearm and of a part of the gun shows it could be seen as "brandishing" to the uneducated.
Part of your gun showing is not "brandishing".

Brandishing:
v.
1. To wave or flourish (a weapon, for example) menacingly.
2. To display ostentatiously.
n.
A menacing or defiant wave or flourish.

So, your gun creaping out is not "brandishing". That doesn't mean that it's not illegal in your state. But brandishing is a deliberate, threatening or overt display of the gun.

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 03-14-2012, 08:23 PM   #7
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7117 Times on 4284 Posts
Likes Given: 8640

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
I'm not sure what the actual law in that regard is here in WI, I would think it shouldn't matter since open carry is legal, but a friend of mine who took a CC class said the instructor said that you either have to open carry or conceal carry no in between, so if I wore a exposed holster with a long winter coat overhanging it and the end of the gun was exposed beneath the coat that is apparently illegal as per that instructor, I really don't see what the big deal is I think those sorts of rules only further the mindset of the ignorant handgun fearing people, "oh my god that man over there has a gun!"
This is what I heard, too, from others who carry.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:23 PM   #8

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by knfxda View Post

Brandishing:
v.
n.

So, your gun creaping out is not "brandishing". That doesn't mean that it's not illegal in your state. But brandishing is a deliberate, threatening or overt display of the gun.
I agree, but when you live in a state like WI which just barely got CC by the skin of their teeth and you have cities like Milwaukee allowing police to harass law abiding citizens who are exercising their right to carry and refusing to return confiscated firearms to their owners after the DA refused to file charges and cities like Appleton pushing every business in town to post no guns allowed signs to essentially turn the city into a gun free zone, you never know when you will run into an anti CC DA who will push that definition of brandishing.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #9

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Oh and you should really check your local laws:

Here is Florida's:

Quote:
790.10 Improper exhibition of dangerous weapons or firearms.—If any person having or carrying any dirk, sword, sword cane, firearm, electric weapon or device, or other weapon shall, in the presence of one or more persons, exhibit the same in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense, the person so offending shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

"Careless" is the only thing that worries me. But if you had a IWB holster and it happened to print or show the grip, I'd have a tough time thinking that you'd fall into the careless category. By virtue of the fact that you were trying to conceal is proof that you are not being careless.

I think there was proposed legislation to explicitly omit printing and accidental display of the weapon or part of the weapon, but I'm not sure where that went. I could also be misremembering.

Last edited by knfxda; 03-14-2012 at 08:27 PM.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #10

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knfxda

Brandishing:
v.
n.

That's why I say "it may be seen as brandishing to the uneducated". The reason I mentioned that Is because I buddy of mine used to open carry with a IWB holster so it looked like he had it tucked in his jeans. We were approached by an officer stating he got a call about a person "brandishing" a gun (apperantly the words of the person who called in). some people scare easily so the mere sight of a gun makes them feel threatened and they call it in out of fear. We weren't detained and the officer realized my friend was well within his rights and we parted ways. That scenario is the reason I choose not to open carry. You can't control the ignorance of the general public is all I'm saying

ThinkFast...your life depends on it.

www.thinkfastholsters.com
www.facebook.com/thinkfastholsters
Instagram @thinkfastholsters