Prepared to unholster my weapon tonight... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Prepared to unholster my weapon tonight...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2009, 02:46 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey squatch, good for you. Yeah downtown 'Ville can be a little bad in places. Good being aware and good carrying. It is amazing how when it happens, it happens FAST, isn't it? Just AAR yourself, think about what you would have done differently, what would have happened if he had done "x", and apply it in your mindset/ training. But dont let it fool you into thinking every time will be the same (human nature to do so, experiential learning/ confirmatory bias etc). Way to stay cool.

I usually stay in condition turquoise, sometimes fuscia.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:33 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly68 View Post
Hey squatch, good for you. Yeah downtown 'Ville can be a little bad in places. Good being aware and good carrying. It is amazing how when it happens, it happens FAST, isn't it? Just AAR yourself, think about what you would have done differently, what would have happened if he had done "x", and apply it in your mindset/ training. But dont let it fool you into thinking every time will be the same (human nature to do so, experiential learning/ confirmatory bias etc). Way to stay cool.

I usually stay in condition turquoise, sometimes fuscia.
EXACTLY!!! Just because every bum in louisville to date has asked me for money doesn't mean that in the future that's what they'll do. I've personally come into contact with people that have had friends or family members that have been assaulted or killed in downtown Louisville by random guys... I refuse to be a statistic. I'm not paranoid, just a realist...

Old 12-13-2009, 02:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
Yes there is a condition we call "condition brown" that's one of my idiot officers with his head up his butt.
I thought that condition brown was when you s*** yourself after the fact lol

Old 12-13-2009, 09:50 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Glad to hear that everything worked out for you.

After reading what you wrote I had a couple of concerns that I thought I would bring up to you.
The part that you mentioned about having to un-zip your jacket being the biggest concern. Have you thought about having some velcro strips put in on the side of a couple of your jackets to make it easier to acess your weapon instead of telling everyone what you are doing when you reach for your zipper.
I had some velcro installed on a couple of jacket and pants for just this purpose. It works out pretty good. You might look into it.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:00 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelenwolf View Post
Glad to hear that everything worked out for you.

After reading what you wrote I had a couple of concerns that I thought I would bring up to you.
The part that you mentioned about having to un-zip your jacket being the biggest concern. Have you thought about having some velcro strips put in on the side of a couple of your jackets to make it easier to acess your weapon instead of telling everyone what you are doing when you reach for your zipper.
I had some velcro installed on a couple of jacket and pants for just this purpose. It works out pretty good. You might look into it.
I don't technically have to unzip my jacket... I just wanted to adopt a very aggressive posture because of how quickly he was walking towards me, and at night... I like my IWB Crossbreed, it only takes a sec to pull my jacket up. But cool idea.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:29 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedsasquatch View Post
I don't technically have to unzip my jacket... I just wanted to adopt a very aggressive posture because of how quickly he was walking towards me, and at night... I like my IWB Crossbreed, it only takes a sec to pull my jacket up. But cool idea.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I had almost the samething happen to me in a bad part of Tucson. I did not have a shoulder or crossdrawn holsters. So when I reached for my weapon I had to open up my jacket. When I did that I am pretty sure that him and his friends decided (I guess) that I was not easy prey like they had hoped. My wife had already drawn her Sig 220 because she was on the other side of my truck behind cover and did not like the looks we were recieving.

That is when the idea of sewing velcro along the seams of my jacket/pants came to mind. It is pretty handy. Reach as far as you can with your non-gun hand to your gun side and pull the bottom of your jacket up and across.
Works the same way with your pants for your ankle holster. Makes it SO much easier to pull your weapon with jeans on, instead of having to wear slacks or bell bottoms all the time. Then with me wearing boots (work, cowboy, and lace up's) some times you do not have the room so you can adjust your pant leg width.

Hope all this helps.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:27 AM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I had to go to Louiville for a funeral once. I stopped and got some gas at the wrong place. As soon as I took the hose off two bums were headed for me. I took out my knife when I turned and had it in my hand although not visible. They were aggressively asking for change and had split to the sides of me. I told them firmly that I don't give money away and to leave me alone. They both had beer bottles in their hands, but they backed away and started cursing......so I put the handle back and got gas elsewhere.

I should have been aware of them before I got out...hindsight. I did have a plan once they came near though. It involved gas sploshing,lol.

Louiville can be a tough place, just about anywhere can anymore.

Last edited by Gojubrian; 12-14-2009 at 09:27 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 12-14-2009, 02:06 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Good job staying cool. I filled up for gas on Friday in Jackson, MS to start my trip home and immediately I was aware that the potential for danger existed as I saw a "thug" driving a Lexus. This was not the best part of the neighborhood so I was prepared should the need have arised. I'm always relieved that I don't have to pull my weapon but I'm glad it's there when I need it.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:52 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I remember when I stopped in Dallas/Ft Worth on my way home when I was discharged from the Army. I stopped to visit a friend of mine and take a break from driving. He asked me where I was and I told him that I was in the south part of town. He told me to get in my truck and drive north and not to stop untill I was past a certain highway. Just glad that nothing happened, but it scared the s*#% out of me. It looked like a nice part of town or so I thought.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:58 AM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedsasquatch View Post
Hmmm, is there a condition other than white and yellow besides red?
Orange!