Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Prepared to unholster my weapon tonight...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2009, 02:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Prepared to unholster my weapon tonight...

So I'm driving to a friend's house for a Christmas/birthday party tonight with my family. He lives downtown, in a somewhat shady area known for drug dealers and bums. Well, as soon as I pull up to his house, I see a bum standing at the street corner about 10 car lengths behind me. Its 7pm and very dark mind you. Well, I'm helping my wife and baby get out of the car, keeping aware of where he is. And, he's making a bee-line for us...

Well, he could just be walking down the sidewalk, he could be wanting money, or he could be wanting trouble. How am I supposed to know? I go into condition yellow, and focus all of my mental energy on what's about to happen next.

As he directly approaches my car, I notice that he's looking directly at me. He starts talking and says how he's not a bum... and so on and so forth, still walking towards me. He starts to get way to close for comfort, and I unzip my winter wool jacket, and step between my wife and I, taking a weaver stance. I just stare directly at him, and tell him to tell me what he wants.

He immediately backs up a ways and says he's not looking for trouble, and didn't mean to frighten anyone and just needs some cash. I don't carry cash on me, so I told him sorry...

Man that guy made me po'd. Once he approached 5 feet he could have knifed me if he really wanted to. Well, at least it all went down well, and he was very intimidated by my aggressive body language...

FYI - I carry a Colt Combat Commander 1911 .45 ACP in a Cross-Breed IWB holster. My gun and time at the range makes me confident and comfortable in situations like this...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-05-2009, 02:39 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Glad it turned out the way it did. Clear head, cognoscente of your surroundings, aggressive and confident; all key to your keeping yourself and family safe.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:07 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I woudl agree with Duner. The best thing we can do in that situation is take charge, let the person know we mean business, but NEVER lose our head to the moment.

You did great 'Squatch! Really well done sir. Protected the female and didn't have to pull your weapon.

Kudos to you Sir!

JD

Old 12-05-2009, 03:16 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Well done and a good outcome.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-05-2009, 04:02 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2581 Times on 1356 Posts
Likes Given: 197

My one negative critique would be that you went to condition yellow. If you are carrying you should already be in yellow. For me, the only time I am in white is if I am sleeping. Hanging out watching the football game, I am in yellow. Paranoid? No. AWARE!

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-05-2009, 04:14 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
My one negative critique would be that you went to condition yellow. If you are carrying you should already be in yellow. For me, the only time I am in white is if I am sleeping. Hanging out watching the football game, I am in yellow. Paranoid? No. AWARE!
Hmmm, is there a condition other than white and yellow besides red? I mean, I'm usually aware of who's around me, and that I'm carrying, I was just acutely aware at the time and paying very careful attention to one particular individual. Maybe that would be condition Orange or something I mean, we should always be aware of our surroundings. Tonight, I was so focused I was getting tunnel vision and could feel the adrenaline going through my veins as he approached. I think he saw it in my eyes... Which reminds me, I'm really glad that no else approached by crossing the street and going around the opposite side of my car, because I would have been in trouble...

Old 12-05-2009, 04:55 AM   #7

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedsasquatch View Post
Hmmm, is there a condition other than white and yellow besides red? I mean, I'm usually aware of who's around me, and that I'm carrying, I was just acutely aware at the time and paying very careful attention to one particular individual. Maybe that would be condition Orange or something I mean, we should always be aware of our surroundings. Tonight, I was so focused I was getting tunnel vision and could feel the adrenaline going through my veins as he approached. I think he saw it in my eyes... Which reminds me, I'm really glad that no else approached by crossing the street and going around the opposite side of my car, because I would have been in trouble...
Yes there is a condition we call "condition brown" that's one of my idiot officers with his head up his butt.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Good job. You did the right things.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:07 PM   #9

Likes Given: 2

You were ready to do what needed to be done, but everyone walked away. I think that is win no matter where you come from!!!

Old 12-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Glad it all worked out well. From the sounds of it you handled the situation well and protected your family.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer