Preferred IWB Holster
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Preferred IWB Holster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2011, 05:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Preferred IWB Holster

I'm a big guy, 6'2" and 290lbs big, and I know that not all IWB holsters work for us bigger guys, so what in your opinion would be the preferred concealed carry holster? I'm hoping there are several to choose from. Thanks in advance.

“No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave.” -Calvin Coolidge

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." -Gen. John "Black Jack" Pershing, U.S. Army

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-30-2011, 06:13 AM   #2

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I'm also a "well proportioned" guy (about your height but 40# lighter) and IMHO there is only one IWB holster.

Check out the Tommy Theis Holsters. This is one comfortable (day long) carry rig!

Theisholsters.com Custom IWB Holsters

Read this post;

CC Holsters

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #3

Liked 164 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I am about the same size as Crane...I also love the Tommy Theis Holster style holster, mine is home made and works great all day and well into the night. I have several for different weapons, give it a few days to break in and you won't even realize it is there.

I can explain it to you, but I can't make you understand it

Old 09-30-2011, 03:48 PM   #4

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

I've tried a few and have never heard of the Tommy Theis but they sound like good holsters. My favorite is the CrossBreed Super Tuck. It keeps the gun away from the body. I'm 6'2 220 lbs with a pretty good belly roll and every other holster let the gun dig into the fat around my waist. The Supertuck prevents this. On a really hot day it can get a little hot but not as bad as you'd think. You can wear it with shirt out and get quicker draws but you can tuck your shirt in and it does a great job of hiding the gun.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 09-30-2011, 05:08 PM   #5

Liked 282 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 32

vmkeith I am a big boy at 5'10"and 240. I did phiscal work for most of my life and pocket carried a small 38sp or 9mm in a pocket for work. I wanted a IWB for going out or just wearing better clothing. Bought a cross breed, not flewable enogh for me and sold it. I ended up with a way more flexable comp-tac mtac appendix and carry over my right front pocket. I does allow me to tuck a shirt in or just a polo type and not show. Set belt does not interfere and bending over is good and does hot tend to hook or show on the grip like a 4:30 carry tends to.

If your not sure of the poistion for you to carry try to start with one of the very cheap ($20) and light sigle belt hook iwb models avalible just to figure out the position that works for you. Wear around your house and figure it out what position works best. Then you can buy a better design that allows you to tuck in a shirt and offers the handgun better suport. Comp-Tac has many designs and the holster alone can be changed for a different gun with out buying a new and complete outfit, you can trade in also if one design does not work out.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:09 AM   #6

Milt Sparks...worth the wait..made to fit your carry pistol.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:21 AM   #7

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts

I, before research, preached about the supertuck. Cane's posts on the theis holster convinced me to check them out. They look dead on the supertuck, but they are almost $30+ cheaper... I really like my supertuck, but I now have a theis on order for my XDm.

I am not quite your size (5'10" and 215), but I can hide my fullsize Glock iwb in a cut off shirt. I am a big supporter of the style and comfort of the theis/supertuck.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #8

I am 6'2 200lbs and I can conceal my g19 in the supertuck without any issues and I can wear pretty much whatever I want . I plan on purchasing a Theis for my XD9 since all the reviews on this site have been positive. Im sure either option would work well for you .

Old 10-01-2011, 11:00 PM   #9

I agree with Canebrake, Tommy makes great holsters. They are very comfortable and affordable. His service is very fast, and you will not be disappointed. I can carry my XD(m) pistols (9mm, .40 and .45) in the same holster. I got the horsehide leather.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:21 AM   #10

Liked 117 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 76

+1 on Tommys holsters. Im wearing one right now albeit that I am on the opposite end of the spectrum from you at 5'11 140lbs it is the most comfortable holster I have ever worn. Only downside is it squeaks a ton when new.