Preferred CCW, holster, and reason(s)?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Preferred CCW, holster, and reason(s)?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Default Preferred CCW, holster, and reason(s)?

For informative purposes here only, so no need to bicker, though banter is always welcome.

I'm looking forward to getting my CCW soon and am really unsure about not only which piece to carry, but also how to carry it, in regards to type of holster. Seeking suggestions here, from experienced users/carriers.

I currently have a Ruger LC9 and a shoulder harness intended for those plastic poppin' airguns that fits it perfectly. I like the placement, but would never use the suspender sinkers to help keep it in place so it may very well be rendered useless. Unsure there really.

Comfort is important to me. Has anybody used waist wrap backstrap holsters? Probably not the technical term, but seems a sufficient description. I also have one of them.

Thanks for lookin' and for any helpful hints.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-10-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3145 Times on 1810 Posts
Likes Given: 1342

I found that this type of question is a "it depends".

I found that the IWB does not work with a Speedo on the beach or when sitting in a vehicle.
Shoulder rig does not work too good for me when I'm on the bike (right handed and need that hand for the accelerator).
Small of the back allows the gun to hit and make a lot of noise when I eat at a diner.
In the jacket pocket gets lint in the barrel and magazines.
I don't wear loafers or boots on the beach, and don't wear flip-flops to the opera.

Bottom line, it depends on what I have planned.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I recently purchased a Crossbreed SuperTuck IWB holster after alot of research on this forum and many others. I couldn't be happier with it. I carry a Ruger 9mm and hardly know it's on. Good luck with your search.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:35 PM   #4

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

For owb check out Ryan Grizzle Leather. I have two of his high country which are high riding holsters. Great quality, great service, and great product.

"Honey, can I buy another gun?" "Why another gun?" "I just figured out that I am two guns short of never enough!"

Old 11-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #5

Default Belly Band

I have the Belly Band and the Truss System "wrap around" holster system. Belly band is the wrap around type and truss is a bit wider and adds suspenders. I have found they work different for different people, skinny folk tend to fare better than those of us with a little padding around the waist. I have started wearing the Truss more often, it just provides more options. Pros- it is very practicle and you can tuck your shirt in, spare mags and whatever else you want to carry can be stored in the extra slots (very securely). Cons-not comfortable on hot days, feels like you are wearing a heating blanket around your torso. If you sweat you will be constantly fighting rust, I also find drawing from either the Truss or the Belly Band a bit awkward.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:42 PM   #6

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Carrying IWB never seemed viable because my pants are too tight & didn't want to replace my complete wardrobe or limit myself to only one or two pants for carry. So, I carry OWB only. I did invest in some loose fitting shirts, designed to be worn untucked, for the hot summer days.

I'm right handed & have carried & practiced drawing at 9:30-10:00 as cross-draw & as strong side carry at about 4:00. To me, the most natural is to carry cross-draw, raising or sweeping my cover garment with my weak hand & drawing, as opposed to raising or sweeping my cover garment with the same hand with which I will draw. If we ever get open carry in Texas, I will probably go to strong side carry when/if I carry openly.

Also, I find that cross-draw is definitely easiest when in a vehicle, whether driving or as a passenger. Just need to be sure your cover garment is not trapped under the seat belt. I usually unbutton a couple of buttons on my shirt so I can reach through the opening.

I've tried paddle holsters & the small belt slide holsters, but prefer a pancake style holster. They usually come with the back coming up high enough to shield the pistol from my side & are wider, so they distribute the weight over a longer span of the belt. I do still use a paddle holster when I know I will be removing my cover garment, such as a doctor visit.

I also have found that the proper belt can make a big difference in ease of concealment & comfort. I use a 1-1/2" double layered belt which is good for all but my heaviest pistols. For those, I use one with a stiffener between layers.

Hope this is helpful.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #7

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

This has all been very helpful. I guess I'm not going to be able to take the easy way out here, letting you all do the work for me while I just sit back and soak up the info.

I'll be looking at picking up something for tucking in the waistband in addition to what I've already got and see what I like the best over time.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:57 PM   #8

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

That's about what it always comes down to. Method of carry is about as personal as size, style & color of shoes we choose. Everyone has to find out for themselves.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Many of us have a "holster drawer" where many good ideas are laid to rest.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #10

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Another 'depends' answer from me.

If I'm only wearing a t shirt and I'm carrying my G17, G19, or G26, I use an IWB Galco at the 4 o'clock position. Sometimes, depending on the situation, I only have my S&W Bodyguard with me. If that's the case it's either in $12 Blackhawk pocket holster or in a Belly Band.

For my 1911s, I prefer an OWB Galco at the 3 o'clock position. This requires me to wear a cover shirt or jacket.

In the winter, when clothing becomes more bulky, my pistols move to the 3 o'clock position with an OWB holster (any Galco leather or a paddle Serpa style holster), much more natural for me.

I generally carry a reload, either on my belt or in support side pocket.

I've never been a fan of ankle holsters for primary carry, although I might consider one for use with a BUG.

Haven't really used shoulder holsters either, so I don't really have any strong feelings about them.

I think the three most important factors for deciding on CCW setups are
1) Training with your setup to able to effectively draw and put hits on target. Many cops I know carry in positions much different than their duty setups, only to find out they haven't trained with the new concealment method and can't actually draw efficiently.
2) Accessibility. Can you reach your weapon quickly?
3) Level of concealment. Is your setup going to actually be concealed? Or will you just be drawing unneeded attention to yourself? This actually requires some practice as well. You need to be cognizant of your weapon location; if you reach for something on a high shelf will your gun be exposed? If you bend over, will your gun be exposed? If you are an OCer, I guess this one won't really apply to you. I constantly have to make sure that my shirt is pulled over my gun if I'm carrying at the 4 o'clock position, especially when bending over or getting out a chair or booth.

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".