Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Praise or support in public? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/praise-support-public-88552/)

Nate882004 04-10-2013 06:20 AM

Praise or support in public?

Have you ever been out and had some stranger praise you for wearing your weapon and exercising your rights?

Nate882004 04-10-2013 06:23 AM

I was just at the Tamrack in Beckley, WV when I was given free ice cream in appreciation for having my firearm on my side and standing for what I believe in and exercising my right. Thank you "dude at the ice cream stand".

kaido 04-10-2013 06:35 AM

We (Canadians) aren't allowed to carry, open or concealed, but I do like to thank people in the military in odd ways. Think the funniest way I've thanked a serving member was when the debit machine wouldn't work for what ever reason and I told him not to worry about it and I would pay for it. He had the strangest look on his face......must of been use to people buying him a beer and not pizza. Haha

NC1760 04-10-2013 11:42 AM

Open carry....

Nope. Even though we have legal open carry throughout most of N.C. ... The town I live in doesn't allow open displays of any weapons (the town's name is, oddly enough, "Cary" :confused: ).
One time in Winter I forgot at the Barbour shop and took off my coat... there it was at 4:00 on my waist (John Wayne style :D)... I looked at them and apologized and offered to take it out to the car. The guys all looked at me and laughed... They said "First off... you've been coming here for 10 years now... Second, If you were going to do anything criminal you wouldn't have shown it!" I then sat down to wait for my turn next to a women who was there with her 12 year old son. We looked at each other & smiled... Said "Hello"... Then she asked "So.. You're a police officer?"... I answered back "No mam.".... Puzzled she then said "So you're just an ordinary citizen?".... I said "No mam.... I am an ARMED citizen." ...She chuckled and replied "Not paranoid are you?" ... I replied "That's silly. I carry a gun. What have I got to be paranoid about?"

Besides, I'm not a big fan of open carry anyhow... (and yes, I have posted this before)...1) It takes away the element of surprise (especially when you might need it the most)... 2) A potential bad guy can SEE you're armed and might try and take it... 3) LEO's are only human. A situation can easily be misread and I can be either drawn down on, or worse, SHOT.... and 4) It scares people. My advice is get a CCW permit if you can... Put on your gun and carry everywhere, every day with the few exceptions where it is not legal... and then be quiet. Sit back and enjoy the feeling of being prepared for WCS (Worse Case Scenario)..... AND we recognize any other carry permit issued by any other state in the U.S. :cool: I only wish the other states would extend that same courtesy to us...

trip286 04-10-2013 11:48 AM

Was in Jackson, MS just about a week ago. I had to go the the DOSafety, where the reinstate DLs, issue CC permits, and vehicle inspections (In MS, you used to be able to put a full clear title on a salvage vehicle if you could prove it was repaired to or better than factory condition).

A young lady walked in while I was standing in line, and asked where to go to get a handgun permit.

I turned around, shook her hand, and told her "congratulations".

danf_fl 04-10-2013 11:56 AM

If someone does that, they are telling you that your concealed carry is not concealed too well.

That is the time to look at your set up. If a stranger can see it, you can bet that others see it as well. And bad guys like to know who carries.

mountainman13 04-10-2013 12:18 PM

Nope. I did however while standing in line at the grocery store the other day have a woman look at me and say 'Like I don't know you have a gun under your jacket' and then she promptly found another line. I laughed and continued to put my items on the conveyor.
At the time, due to circumstances, I did not have my gun on me. Just an empty holster. Of course I did have 2 knives and mace. Lol

WebleyFosbery38 04-10-2013 12:26 PM

I dont carry but when folks see my Military retiree ID card, they often thank me. Cant hate that

95sniper 04-10-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 1209371)
Nope. I did however while standing in line at the grocery store the other day have a woman look at me and say 'Like I don't know you have a gun under your jacket' and then she promptly found another line. I laughed and continued to put my items on the conveyor.
At the time, due to circumstances, I did not have my gun on me. Just an empty holster. Of course I did have 2 knives and mace. Lol

That's hilarious

mountainman13 04-10-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95sniper (Post 1209378)

That's hilarious

Yeah I thought so too. While it's possible she got a glimps of my holster (doubtful) I think she just recognized me from the news paper.